The Student Room Group

What happens to student loans when the person dies?

Hello there, this is for the UK University scene:
If a student dies, what happens to the
a) tuition fee loan (£9250/yr loan)
b) money borrowed by the student from the government to pay for uni accommodation etc. (maintenance loan)
Are these both written off, or do they both get passed on and need to be paid for by those you leave behind?
Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Written off.
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/when-your-student-loan-gets-written-off-or-cancelled

If someone with a student loan dies

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will cancel the person’s student loan.

You need to let SLC know that the person has died and provide evidence (for example an original death certificate), as well as the person’s Customer Reference Number.
Original post by verycoolperson
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/when-your-student-loan-gets-written-off-or-cancelled

If someone with a student loan dies

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will cancel the person’s student loan.

You need to let SLC know that the person has died and provide evidence (for example an original death certificate), as well as the person’s Customer Reference Number.

So BOTH the tuition fee loan AND the maintenance loan are BOTH written off? Even if you're in your third year at uni and have 'built up' three year's worth of loans? Thank you
The loan also dies :smile:
Original post by londonmyst
Written off.

So BOTH the tuition fee loan AND the maintenance loan are BOTH written off? Even if you're in your third year at uni and have 'built up' three year's worth of loans? Thank you
Original post by Elliott M

Yes.
Same applies to all undergrad, masters and doctorate student finance loans.
I feel like your tone is coming off as a bit suicidal
Why exactly are you asking this?...

This thread is a bit concerning
That's BOTH loans, right? And what happens to the loans if you die shortly after COMPLETING your studies i.e. the student doesn't die DURING university, but after graduation? The 2 loans don't get passed on to your loved ones in that situation, right? Do they BOTH get written off regardless of whether the student dies DURING or AFTER their studies? Thanks man :smile:

Are you okay? :frown:
Original post by CoolCavy
Why exactly are you asking this?...

Was going to ask this but then I thought perhaps it was just me being morbid.
Imagine if the OP is totally fine but just has peculiar curiosity and reads our posts and thinks to himself "wtf is up with these freaks?" lol
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity.
That's BOTH loans, right? And what happens to the loans if you die shortly after COMPLETING your studies i.e. the student doesn't die DURING university, but after graduation? The 2 loans don't get passed on to your loved ones in that situation, right? Do they BOTH get written off regardless of whether the student dies DURING or AFTER their studies? Thanks man :smile:

Yeah I don’t know but I hope you’re not thinking what I think you are.....
Original post by sarskinz
Are you okay? :frown:

I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity. Do you have the answer to the comment you replied to when you said 'are you okay?'. Thank you, and I'm genuinely fine thanks! :smile:
Written off. One of my friends passed away after just starting his medicine degree, absolutely heartbreaking :frown:
Original post by Alisha300
Written off. One of my friends passed away after just starting his medicine degree, absolutely heartbreaking :frown:

I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: xx
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities.

That's not my understanding of UK law - you cannot inherit debt, unless you signed as a guarantor.
(edited 4 years ago)
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity.

Except that is incorrect and well done for posting weird thread of the week.

Latest

Trending

Trending