The Student Room Group

repeating a year at uni

i did my fine art degree years ago and had to drop out because both my grandads died and i was depressed! was in a bad way. can i get finance from student loan? was thinking if i can't only going back in year two. but now i'm well i want the full experaince of being at uni. also i'm applying for a fine art degree but my course was in visaul arts does it matter the change of name? how do i go about applying for student loan if i repeat? what prove do they need? sorry if this is in the wrong place.
For a full time course your entitlement will normally be: length of degree + 1 year - number of years of prior study at degree level

Note that this is applied backwards from the end of the new degree, so for example if you had studied 2 two years previously and were doing a new 3 year course starting in 1st year:

3 + 1 -2 = 2 years of funding, applied backwards from the end of the degree - you would have to self fund tuition fees for the 1st year of the new degree but would get tuition fee loans for the other years. You'd normally be entitled to a maintenance loan for all years.

However, if you earned a qualification previously this may change things.

Equally though, you can apply for "Compelling Personal Reasons" (CPR) to request an additional year of funding (you can do this in consecutive years if needed for different things as applicable). There might be time limits on this but you may be able to apply for an additional year of funding via CPR due to leaving your course for bereavement. Note that for CPR applications to be successful it's important to provide evidence of the issues at the time - for bereavements they may need a death certificate, and for health issues (including mental health) it's usually good to get as much evidence as you can e.g. doctor/GP letters, discharge letters, letters from any counsellors/therapists you might have seen/be seeing, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending