The Student Room Group

computer science personal statement

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to make a standout personal statement for computer science? Any help will be much appreciated
Original post by Nihal15
Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to make a standout personal statement for computer science? Any help will be much appreciated

I think the key to any personal statement is making it personal to you, and showing your enthusiasm for the subject.

Typically, here are three key areas your personal statement should cover:

Why do you want to study your chosen subject?
What relevant skills and knowledge do you already have about this subject?
What do you do when you're not studying?

(It's important to remember that you only write one personal statement, which is read by all the universities you apply for, so you should avoid naming a specific university or course.)

Your writing should be authentic, focused, positive and show that you're confident and enthusiastic about studying at university. Anyone can say "I'm passionate about studying English" so make sure you provide examples that demonstrate your passion and commitment. These examples could be any relevant work experience, volunteering you've done, or anything else that shows you have a genuine interest in the subject.

It's important that your personal statement is easy to read, so use plain English, be conversational and stay focused and concise. You should also avoid clichés and exaggerating things that you've done.

Remember, the admissions team will be looking for your potential to succeed. They don't expect you to know everything already but want someone that will work hard and learn.

I'd recommend having a look at this youtube video for more advice about writing your personal statement: www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=JgGj7us wIu0

I hope this helps! 😊 -Miranda
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
I think the key to any personal statement is making it personal to you, and showing your enthusiasm for the subject.

(It's important to remember that you only write one personal statement, which is read by all the universities you apply for, so you should avoid naming a specific university or course.)

Your writing should be authentic, focused, positive and show that you're confident and enthusiastic about studying at university. Anyone can say "I'm passionate about studying English" so make sure you provide examples that demonstrate your passion and commitment. These examples could be any relevant work experience, volunteering you've done, or anything else that shows you have a genuine interest in the subject.

It's important that your personal statement is easy to read, so use plain English, be conversational and stay focused and concise. You should also avoid clichés and exaggerating things that you've done.

Remember, the admissions team will be looking for your potential to succeed. They don't expect you to know everything already but want someone that will work hard and learn.

I'd recommend having a look at this youtube video for more advice about writing your personal statement: www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=JgGj7us wIu0

do you have any tips for someone that is applying for computer science foundation year because they are coming from an unrelated course?
Reply 3
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London

Thank you so much for the advice it was really useful - Nihal
Original post by Nihal15
Thank you so much for the advice it was really useful - Nihal

No problem :smile: If you have any other questions feel free to let me know!

-Miranda :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending