The Student Room Group

I was tricked into being a money mule

I got a message from one of my closest friends. She sent me on Snapchat a post from one of her other friends who went to the same church’s as me and her about ways to earn more money as a university student from student finance. She sent it as a kind gesture like “this may help you, contact him, but I’m not sure” so I added the boys Snapchat. And messaged him asking what it was about. And he said that it was a way to get more money from student finance, increase my loan so my rent can be paid and I’d have money to spare. I had no idea that any of this will happen. I thought it was legitimate because when I was actually applying for my student loan, there was a bunch of extra questions to fill out to get a larger loan. I done that however it failed and I still ended up getting the lowest. The loan I get is not even enough to cover my rent, let alone food or travel etc. so I thought the guy who was a friend of a friend from *my old church would be trustworthy. I followed his instructions. He asked me for all my bank details, my card number and pin at the back. My address, a picture of my passport with me holding it and also a university acceptance letter. I thought if he was asking for my university acceptance letter then that means there’s no possibility I would lose money. So I sent all those in and waited for his response. He also gave me his contact details. He came back and said I was eligible for a £5900 student loan instead and that it would come installments. I believed him. Then he told me it would land in my account in a few days, however when I messaged him about it the money not coming in, he said there was a problem with my application and that the photo I sent wasn’t clear so I had to resend it. Then I waited. And he said the first installment that would come would be a bit over £1000. I was so happy. Then I waited and waited, occasionally he would text me. Asking for a security code That would send to my mobile phone. I didn’t think anything of it. Then I checked my bank account at one point and my mother gave me £500 to pay my rent at the end of December. I saw that the money was sent to a Payee called A. I was so scared and messaged Him asking if that was him. And he said yes. And I asked him to send me the money back immediately. He said he would but kept taking long to reply and changing the subject. I asked my friend who knew him to message and call as well but he wasn’t answering at all. After a while he came back and said that the money would land again. And this time it actually did. Then all my doubts disappeared. Then he asked me to withdraw it. In my account was £1600 and something. And he told me to withdraw £1100 from the NatWest bank. So I did then he told me to meet one of his associates. In a student accommodation called crown place. I gave the man the cash and they said they would get back to me. He gave me a 2nd phone number and told me not to contact him on the first one. It is However after a while, my bank account wouldn’t let me in. It got blocked. I called the bank and they said to call the fraud team. So I did and they referred me to another team. I talked to them and they told me that my account was used to hold fraudulent money. I was SO SHOCKED. And on they phone they were being so rude to me making me feel like I deserved this and that it was my plan all along. However I have screenshots and voice notes from him. I knew nothing at all. From what he told me was that it was coming from student finance. I trusted him because he was someone that one of my closest friends knew personally from church. So I have lost £500 that my mum gave to me for rent. And also he took all of the £1100 and I didn’t get any “student loan installment money”.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do not let anyone use your bank account or ID, this is fraud.

Do not just give people money, let alone over £1000. This is not normal ever and is bound to be dodgy af.

Do not carry £1000 cash with you. If you drop it or get mugged it'll be especially painful. You also make yourself a target to the people who know you might be carrying such large amounts.

I could continue, but you've done something wrong pretty much every sentence. Tell your mum, since she seems willing to help you financially, and see if she's available to talk to regarding future financials (I'd be surprised if she said no). One phone call to her about "Hi mum, I'm struggling to cover rent, and a friend suggested this to me. What do you think?" would have sorted this out before it even began.
Officially you sound screwed, Your bank will consider it 100% your fault and because you've broken their fraud prevention rules they are unlikely to help. You're likely liable for the other £1100 as well.
Original post by Luckyisemimen16
I got a message from one of my closest friends. She sent me on Snapchat a post from one of her other friends who went to the same church’s as me and her about ways to earn more money as a university student from student finance. She sent it as a kind gesture like “this may help you, contact him, but I’m not sure” so I added the boys Snapchat. And messaged him asking what it was about. And he said that it was a way to get more money from student finance, increase my loan so my rent can be paid and I’d have money to spare. I had no idea that any of this will happen. I thought it was legitimate because when I was actually applying for my student loan, there was a bunch of extra questions to fill out to get a larger loan. I done that however it failed and I still ended up getting the lowest. The loan I get is not even enough to cover my rent, let alone food or travel etc. so I thought the guy who was a friend of a friend from *my old church would be trustworthy. I followed his instructions. He asked me for all my bank details, my card number and pin at the back. My address, a picture of my passport with me holding it and also a university acceptance letter. I thought if he was asking for my university acceptance letter then that means there’s no possibility I would lose money. So I sent all those in and waited for his response. He also gave me his contact details. He came back and said I was eligible for a £5900 student loan instead and that it would come installments. I believed him. Then he told me it would land in my account in a few days, however when I messaged him about it the money not coming in, he said there was a problem with my application and that the photo I sent wasn’t clear so I had to resend it. Then I waited. And he said the first installment that would come would be a bit over £1000. I was so happy. Then I waited and waited, occasionally he would text me. Asking for a security code That would send to my mobile phone. I didn’t think anything of it. Then I checked my bank account at one point and my mother gave me £500 to pay my rent at the end of December. I saw that the money was sent to a Payee called A. I was so scared and messaged Him asking if that was him. And he said yes. And I asked him to send me the money back immediately. He said he would but kept taking long to reply and changing the subject. I asked my friend who knew him to message and call as well but he wasn’t answering at all. After a while he came back and said that the money would land again. And this time it actually did. Then all my doubts disappeared. Then he asked me to withdraw it. In my account was £1600 and something. And he told me to withdraw £1100 from the NatWest bank. So I did then he told me to meet one of his associates. In a student accommodation called crown place. I gave the man the cash and they said they would get back to me. He gave me a 2nd phone number and told me not to contact him on the first one. It is However after a while, my bank account wouldn’t let me in. It got blocked. I called the bank and they said to call the fraud team. So I did and they referred me to another team. I talked to them and they told me that my account was used to hold fraudulent money. I was SO SHOCKED. And on they phone they were being so rude to me making me feel like I deserved this and that it was my plan all along. However I have screenshots and voice notes from him. I knew nothing at all. From what he told me was that it was coming from student finance. I trusted him because he was someone that one of my closest friends knew personally from church. So I have lost £500 that my mum gave to me for rent. And also he took all of the £1100 and I didn’t get any “student loan installment money”.

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is a scam.

Nothing you can do apart from work with the bank and the police.
I legit had no idea at all. It would’ve been different if this person was a complete stranger but they weren’t. And I admit I was really stupid but I didn’t do any of this with malicious intent. I hope the evidence I have will help me. Like the voice notes, text messages and also phone number and Snapchat details. What do you guys think I should do next? I’ve submitted the evidence to the email the bank provided me on the phone.
I legit had no idea at all. It would’ve been different if this person was a complete stranger but they weren’t. And I admit I was really stupid but I didn’t do any of this with malicious intent. I hope the evidence I have will help me. Like the voice notes, text messages and also phone number and Snapchat details. What do you guys think I should do next? I’ve submitted the evidence to the email the bank provided me on the phone.

At best they will not press charges. At worst you could end up with a criminal record. Just write down all details and names, addresses and phone numbers etc. Hopefully they will believe you, but you have broken the law
You won’t get your money back. As harsh as it seems it was your lack of sense that put you in that position. It seems like an obvious scam from the get go. You gave out your details so you’ll be paying the consequences
Anyone else who has also been in this situation, please comment here as well. I need as much advice as I can get. Today I went to the bank to explain the whole situation again and get my card unblocked which they did do. The investigation is still ongoing until Friday. But I've changed all my details so the scammer cant ever access my account again. Tomorrow im going to one of my local legal advisor departments to explain to them my situation and options I have, a free consultation with professionals. This whole thing is a big oof. Thanks guys who did actually comment (even though you were all so harsh lmao) , I'm not really hoping to get the money back. Even though £500 is a lot I was hoping to count my losses, work the money off during Christmas holidays and also hopefully end up not getting convicted. Even getting blacklisted is okay for me because at least I don't end up in prison. I guess I have to learn my lesson. This is never going to happen again. But also there a thousands of people in my same position, so there should be a law that favours us if we have enough evidence that we were conned, because believe It or not its common in teenagers and elderly people sadly. Far too common, especially in people who use "snapchat plugs".
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
I did this twice with metro and monzo In the end both of the accounts were closed and I lost a total of 110£ but I am able to open an account with Barclays and starling
But also there a thousands of people in my same position, so there should be a law that favours us if we have enough evidence that we were conned, because believe It or not its common in teenagers and elderly people sadly. Far too common, especially in people who use "snapchat plugs".

No, there should not be a law to 'favour you'. You broke the rules, your negligence and irresponsibility cost the bank money and funded crime and fraud. And you want a law to favour you... Jesus.
Original post by Reality Check
No, there should not be a law to 'favour you'. You broke the rules, your negligence and irresponsibility cost the bank money and funded crime and fraud. And you want a law to favour you... Jesus.

I don’t think you read properly. Go back. I said a law that favours people in my position. I agree I was stupid however there a plenty of others this happens to as well. So this situation is not just a one time thing. I guarantee you’ve another thread like this one.
Reply 11
I don’t think you read properly. Go back. I said a law that favours people in my position. I agree I was stupid however there a plenty of others this happens to as well. So this situation is not just a one time thing. I guarantee you’ve another thread like this one.

But your position is that you didn't use any common sense and just handed over important details to a stranger. You may not get legal charges but there shouldn't be laws to help people that hand over money like this.

For all they know this whole thing is set up to make it look like you had no idea but really you were part of it. Making it that they weren't scamming you but you were scamming the bank.
Why ANYONE would give away all their card details, including pin and security code is beyond me. Not to do so is common sense 101. I wouldn’t give those details even to my closest friend for crying out loud, it’s just something you don’t do!
Message him and threaten to report him to the police if he doesn’t give you your money, and whatever he does you should still report him to the police. He can easily get locked up in jail.

This is just sad. I feel for you
The NCA will have forensics to look into this. The money was probably drug related when you say 'lands' You received electronic funds? That's a proxy. This sounds like money laundering not just fraud on your part.

If they took money out your account electronically without permission this shows you felt not in a position of power and was exploited when you took the money out as cash that 'lands' as extra in your bank accounts?

This sounds more a conspiracy on your part to commit fraud if the bank give you back £500 than victim, with an organisation using students with a good cover story. They could have paid your £500 back and a commision in cash for withdrawing money? The bank blocked you out because you received money from an unknown source?! Ie a cop brought drugs/illegal conteband and needed to send money as part of a buy?

I'm not saying this was the case but this is how it sounds to me? It seems a lot of effort to find niave people to scam, but joint venture with students as proxies who would be known to a 'dealer' seems a quick way to launder electronic funds using students.
Original post by Bio 7
But your position is that you didn't use any common sense and just handed over important details to a stranger. You may not get legal charges but there shouldn't be laws to help people that hand over money like this.

For all they know this whole thing is set up to make it look like you had no idea but really you were part of it. Making it that they weren't scamming you but you were scamming the bank.

I get I was stupid, however i got quite lucky because I was able to provide all the chats between me and the scammer. So it was pretty clear that I had no idea what was happening. My friend was also prepared to give a statement too if push came to shove. Anyways. I’m going to close the thread now. The replies are getting pretty annoying. Thank you everyone who responded in a civil, polite manner.
Unfortunately in the eyes of the law, ignorance is no defence.
Original post by Karisa96
Unfortunately in the eyes of the law, ignorance is no defence.

There was pressure of manipulation? The guy took £500.00 without his consent, then coerced him into a mule? He was ignorant but also a victim?

Would love to chat you more about this. Have sent you a message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending