The Student Room Group

Are mixed people black

So I am of Latin Jamaican decent but also lightskin with English. And I classed as black ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sadé.mx
So I am of Latin Jamaican decent but also lightskin with English. And I classed as black ?

No you're mixed
Original post by iFlops
No you're mixed

My family class me as black and I’m mixed
Yes that's why Obama was known as the first black president
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
My family class me as black and I’m mixed

That still means you're mixed if we're being technical, since you just said you were mixed.. For example, when they have forms where you have to put in your race, you would put in mixed, right? Because that would be the accurate answer. You can still refer to yourself as black if you wanted seeing as you are part black and (I'm assuming) look more black than white, but that doesn't take the facts away.
Reply 5
Original post by iFlops
That still means you're mixed if we're being technical, since you just said you were mixed.. For example, when they have forms where you have to put in your race, you would put in mixed, right? Because that would be the accurate answer. You can still refer to yourself as black if you wanted seeing as you are part black and (I'm assuming) look more black than white, but that doesn't take the facts away.

Tbh I see where you come from but if we are being technical in the old ages when slavery was around we were all seen as black
Reply 6
Original post by Sadé.mx
Tbh I see where you come from but if we are being technical in the old ages when slavery was around we were all seen as black

We're not in the old ages tho
You can call yourself whatever you want, but don't feel the need to have a label, it can be very restricting. I suppose if you look blacker than white then you can call yourself black if it makes you feel better, but genetically you're mixed. You can always just say you're part Jamaican part English. :smile:
Original post by Sadé.mx

No, you’re mixed just like me however in society you’ll be seen as Black first.
Original post by iFlops
We're not in the old ages tho

Everyone related it back to the old ages and if you think about it people are still in slavery and ethnic minorities are still disadvantaged
Reply 10
Original post by yzanne
You can call yourself whatever you want, but don't feel the need to have a label, it can be very restricting. I suppose if you look blacker than white then you can call yourself black if it makes you feel better, but genetically you're mixed. You can always just say you're part Jamaican part English. :smile:

Well I’m a lot more than just Jamaican and English 😂
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone related it back to the old ages and if you think about it people are still in slavery and ethnic minorities are still disadvantaged

You know what? After thinking about it, I understand your original point now - people can be mixed and seen as black, depends where you're from really and I guess people just go off looks, so it depends on how black or white you look, but that's completely subjective.
I don't understand the current point you're making; slavery in the modern ages doesn't exist, at least, not the slavery that occurred hundreds of years ago... it would be cruel to compare it to that. I am an ethnic minority, so I'm not just saying this out of nowhere, and we are disadvantaged.
If we're talking about the old ages, then mixed people were separately called out too, as "half-caste".

To sum up what I'm trying to say is mixed people are not black, they're mixed (technically) tho I can see how some people might see different from first glance. And both mixed and black people received prejudices since they were minorities (and it still occurs to this day, to a much lesser extent).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Sadé.mx

Some people operate by a "one drop" rule [if you have the slightest bit of a features/skin which suggest you are black then you are black]

Others are a bit more lax and will class you as mixed race so long as you don't look fully black, but look like you are a blend
People use 'black' to mean anything that's not white... and both sides are guilty of doing it for their own reasons..

White racists do it because of the old 'one drop' rule that was a signifier of racial purity.. white is only white, one drop and your not it any more..
Progressive racists do it because there is political advantage to be gained by combining all 'non-whites' into a single big group. If you live in a white-majority country, the more people you group together to for the 'other' block, the stronger you are.. so they take everyone who isn't absolutly white, and lump them into BAME/POC type groups, where you would certainly be considered black, even if you are equally white/black, or even have more white than black in your ancestry.

So for you, as harsh as it is, and for their own reasons.. most people consider you a type of black. They may say 'mixed race' but, mixed race in peoples minds falls into the organisational catagory together with black.. not white.
Original post by Sadé.mx
Well I’m a lot more than just Jamaican and English 😂

Then you can call yourself whatever you want...but it shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you're a nice person, that's all anyone truly cares about :yep:
Original post by Sadé.mx

Latin...? Like an ancient Roman..? You Socrates fam? 🙄

Anyways if you look something like rihanna, you're BLACK. her easy ability to get a dark tan, her face features, voice tone, HAIR makes her black regardless of fairness of skin. Also her eyes don't count as I know fully black dark ppl with hazel eyes..

When if you're like Alicia Keys, you're black. Why? Because her afrocentric features are undeniably there. Making her black mixed but the world class that as black. Same for an East Asian mixed ...to everyone except them lol they are seen as ASIAN because those eyes and that hair and the nose can't be escaped.

No idea why you're worrying about it anyway. If you're filling out paperwork check off black and then other, or two or more races or whatever it says. Since you have black in you, regardless if it looks that way, not selecting black is pitiful and a lie.

Original post by yzanne
as long as you're a nice person, that's all anyone truly cares about :yep:

Uhhh no. People unfortunately care about race.
My gf is half black Jamaican and half English among other minor things. She has thick curly brunette hair, shoulder length, dark brown eyes, pale skin and some freckles, and sounds just like Mel B. She classes herself as black to the bone.
Reply 17
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Uhhh no. People unfortunately care about race.

I wasn’t worrying I was sparking a convo. I have black features but mixed hair :smile: and I’m Cuban a mixture of black and latin. Cuban Jamaican Gambian and Welsh
Original post by Sadé.mx
I wasn’t worrying I was sparking a convo. I have black features but mixed hair :smile: and I’m Cuban a mixture of black and latin. Cuban Jamaican Gambian and Welsh

It wasn't sparked..lol

And you're definitely black.
Original post by iFlops
No you're mixed

You say this but generally if you are mixed race (white & black) you will just be classed as black as your appearance is more than likely to be more black dominated. I’m full black and none of the black people I know would refer to a mixed race person as “mixed” they would just be black. And tbh doubt white people generally see mixed people as mixed they just say they are black. The British view is anything not white is foreign thus black, sad but true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending