The Student Room Group

Labour members: who will you vote for leader?

I think I'll be choosing the least worst candidate. Keir starmer, who is supposedly the favourite, has got no charisma about him, is a millionaire (although he would deny this, as he had it edited out of his wikipedia page), i mean he's knighted, how much more middle class can you get. also the architect of second referendum which made us lose. long bailey is okay, but also tried to make herself sound working class, and fails to recognise that corbyn wasn't popular, and continues to follow in his footsteps. jess phillips...need i say more? emily thornberry, the worst of the worst, totally out of touch with working people, anti patriotism and in general snob. I was going to vote RLB but not sure now. anyone else struggling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrograd
I think I'll be choosing the least worst candidate. Keir starmer, who is supposedly the favourite, has got no charisma about him, is a millionaire (although he would deny this, as he had it edited out of his wikipedia page), i mean he's knighted, how much more middle class can you get. also the architect of second referendum which made us lose. long bailey is okay, but also tried to make herself sound working class, and fails to recognise that corbyn wasn't popular, and continues to follow in his footsteps. jess phillips...need i say more? emily thornberry, the worst of the worst, totally out of touch with working people, anti patriotism and in general snob. I was going to vote RLB but not sure now. anyone else struggling?

Rebecca Long-Bailey.
Lisa Nandy, as she is the closest thing to Blue Labour. However, I don’t think any of them can win a general election.

While you might think he is uncharismatic, he isn't from a privileged background. His father was a tool maker and his mother was a nurse. Also, a lot of the legal work he did was pro-bono. I too am not 100% sure yet. I'm a social democrat but also a pragmatist. It's going to be rather interesting...
Long-Bailey. In 2024 the climate emergency will be incredibly bleak (as if it wasn't already). As far as I'm concerned labour need to fight on that the way the Tories fought on Brexit last election (how many Tory policies besides "get brexit done" made it into the national discussion?) and Long-Bailey has the best credentials there. Starmer I'm wary of simply because he was a prominent remain voice and there's a risk his leadership gets turned into the brexit vote round 4. Obviously as a left winger I've no time for blue labour and Nandy, and Phillips is just awful
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Rebecca Long-Bailey.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Long-Bailey.

She's my preferred choice too, the longer the Labour party is firmly in the grip of the loony left the better.
Original post by z-hog
She's my preferred choice too, the longer the Labour party is firmly in the grip of the loony left the better.

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

Z-hog is a far right conspiracy theorist (I.e. fully paid up Q-ultist) who thinks that there will be no support for centre-left politics and so that RLB would mean another Tory win, which - unless he is a billionaire - he is naive enough to believe is in his best interests
Reply 8
Z-hog is a far right conspiracy theorist (I.e. fully paid up Q-ultist) who thinks that there will be no support for centre-left politics and so that RLB would mean another Tory win, which - unless he is a billionaire - he is naive enough to believe is in his best interests

Is RLB centre left though?
Original post by Drewski

She's a social democrat, like Corbyn, so yes. More over, when polled the labour policies were generally popular, the failure was in a) getting them across as a cohesive plan rather than reading like a wish list to santa and b) the unpopularity of Corbyn compared to the way that Johnson has laundered his image to be this loveable japster via shows like HIGNFY
She's a social democrat, like Corbyn, so yes.

Who was describing Corbyn as centre anything?

Let us hope that he is deluded.
Reply 12
I think I'll be choosing the least worst candidate. Keir starmer, who is supposedly the favourite, has got no charisma about him,

Opinion. I disagree.

is a millionaire (although he would deny this, as he had it edited out of his wikipedia page),

He made his money through working (he was a successful lawyer, DPP and head of the CPS), so I'm not sure why that would be a problem. His parents were working class. They even named him after the founder of the Labour Party.

i mean he's knighted, how much more middle class can you get.

You've lost me there. Being knighted is most definitely not middle class, and he was knighted for his work as the DPP and head of the CPS, so it was due to his own efforts, not some hereditary privilege. He does not use the title "Sir".

I was going to vote RLB but not sure now. anyone else struggling?

Starmer. No competition. He ticks every box. A genuine statesman. There is nothing unlikable about him. I challenge you to find an awkward or ill-judged statement or interview.
The election of leader is about winning the next election, not ideological purity.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Who was describing Corbyn as centre anything?

People who actually knew about the full spectrum of politics and listened to his views rather than the propaganda campaign that Goebbels would have envied. Corbyn was a social democrat, his position of capitalism being able to be reformed and that it could work if it just had the right people in charge precluded him from any genuinely left wing position - his vision was to be like any other northern European democracy. Put another way, if social democracy is genuinely far left, then what the **** am I as someone who juggles between anarcho-communism, anarcho-communalism and anarcho-syndicalism?
Original post by Drewski

Did you know that Rebecca Long-Bailey is an anagram of Gabby Lie-Concealer which, given her CV and style is extremely apposite?

She is to the centre left as Hitler was to the centre right.

I'd imagine Conservative strategists are hoping for wins by her and Burgon in the twin election, and that Diane Abbott is then appointed shadow chancellor. I know that many entryist conseratives will be voting for that ticket.
People who actually knew about the full spectrum of politics and listened to his views rather than the propaganda campaign that Goebbels would have envied. Corbyn was a social democrat, his position of capitalism being able to be reformed and that it could work if it just had the right people in charge precluded him from any genuinely left wing position - his vision was to be like any other northern European democracy. Put another way, if social democracy is genuinely far left, then what the **** am I as someone who juggles between anarcho-communism, anarcho-communalism and anarcho-syndicalism?

On another thread, someone aptly stated that anyone perceived to be left of Blair is deemed too left. Ed Miliband was even called ‘Red Ed’ and deemed too far left.
Original post by Good bloke
I'd imagine Conservative strategists are hoping for wins by her and Burgon in the twin election, and that Diane Abbott is then annointed shadow chancellor.

Ftfy
(edited 4 years ago)
On another thread, someone aptly stated that anyone perceived to be left of Blair is deemed too left. Ed Miliband was even called ‘Red Ed’ and deemed too far left.

Who, to the left of Blair, has won a General Election in the last 40 years?...

...their comments might not be without merit.
Original post by Drewski

Apart from Boris, you mean?
Original post by Drewski

Nobody because the media have fought a toxic campaign against Labour.

It is in the best interest of the next Labour leader to present themselves as centrist and then introduce the best leftwing Government since the 40s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending