The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2020 Cambridge PhD in Education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mada34
Did anyone else get that (horrifying) email from the graduate admissions office that begins with "congratulations," but just goes on to congratulate you on APPLYING...and telling you what to look out for next? What a heart wrenching email to receive 7 weeks after applying haha

I want to email the Department more than ever now to see what the timelines are looking like! I heard from my advisor that apps are being processed now, but no clue what that means for offers. I'm curious now, too, if the Department always does interviews, as I've spoken in depth with my advisor and communicated quite a bit via email...

I got that email too! Totally panicked for a minute. Haha

My potential sup also said they’re doing tons of admissions meetings. But looking at grad cafe, most offers don’t come for a few weeks. Another member who has done this process with Edu said the same thing. We could be waiting a long time!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by jillybean06
I got that email too! Totally panicked for a minute. Haha

My potential sup also said they’re doing tons of admissions meetings. But looking at grad cafe, most offers don’t come for a few weeks. Another member who has done this process with Edu said the same thing. We could be waiting a long time!

I like to imagine them getting seriously bored at one of these meetings and deciding to amuse themselves.
Palpitations aside, are there any fellow ACE MPhil applicants lurking around here? ^^
Reply 22
Hi! So I applied for an M.Phil in Education and moved to the GAO on 22nd January. I am presently a bit worried about it as I might be the first person to go to Cambridge from my Indian university and the GAO looks for the standard of the programme. While the programme is rigorous, and two Cambridge alumni (one M.Phil and PhD and another BA, MA and M.Phil from Cam) do teach there, it is a relatively new university at 10 years old.
Got an email asking for an interview as the GAO has asked the department to make an academic case for me. What should I expect? Does anyone have any insight or advice for me on this?
Original post by noynpod
Hi! So I applied for an M.Phil in Education and moved to the GAO on 22nd January. I am presently a bit worried about it as I might be the first person to go to Cambridge from my Indian university and the GAO looks for the standard of the programme. While the programme is rigorous, and two Cambridge alumni (one M.Phil and PhD and another BA, MA and M.Phil from Cam) do teach there, it is a relatively new university at 10 years old.
Got an email asking for an interview as the GAO has asked the department to make an academic case for me. What should I expect? Does anyone have any insight or advice for me on this?

Sorry I can’t offer more consolation or insight here, but I’d take it as a good sign. They’re likely calling (if it is GAO calling) to ask you about your education so far and get a better feel for you. My MA school is over 100 years old (was originally a teacher’s college) and is an accredited US school, but my supervising professor there still got a call about academic rigor, and they asked me a lot of questions about the program, too. The English department even asked for a syllabus or rubric. And I’m not at GAO yet! Nobody from my school has gone to Cam either.
Original post by noynpod

I had an academic case after I was offered conditional admission last year. I was in another graduate program at the time, and one of my conditions was to intermit (not withdraw from) that program. However, I had to withdraw because the university I was studying at would only intermit for 2 semesters, and I needed 3 to complete the Cambridge MPhil. I collected documents from the university to prove their policy, and explained it to my intended supervisor, and all was fine. I know this is a different situation to yours, but just a bit of reassurance that an academic case doesn't necessarily mean a negative outcome.
Hi everyone!So another week has passed again...Did anyone hear back from the department in the past week?
Reply 26
Original post by EduEnthusiast
Hi everyone!So another week has passed again...Did anyone hear back from the department in the past week?

Nothing here, unfortunately. Still under review by department. Has anyone reached out for a timeline since the initial application acceptance email?
Reply 27
Original post by jillybean06
Sorry I can’t offer more consolation or insight here, but I’d take it as a good sign. They’re likely calling (if it is GAO calling) to ask you about your education so far and get a better feel for you. My MA school is over 100 years old (was originally a teacher’s college) and is an accredited US school, but my supervising professor there still got a call about academic rigor, and they asked me a lot of questions about the program, too. The English department even asked for a syllabus or rubric. And I’m not at GAO yet! Nobody from my school has gone to Cam either.

Thank you, that was reassuring to hear!

Original post by s2nielse
I had an academic case after I was offered conditional admission last year. I was in another graduate program at the time, and one of my conditions was to intermit (not withdraw from) that program. However, I had to withdraw because the university I was studying at would only intermit for 2 semesters, and I needed 3 to complete the Cambridge MPhil. I collected documents from the university to prove their policy, and explained it to my intended supervisor, and all was fine. I know this is a different situation to yours, but just a bit of reassurance that an academic case doesn't necessarily mean a negative outcome.

Thank you! I hope that mine will turn out to be fine too :smile:
Reply 28
Hey, all!

I just checked the portal a few minutes ago and saw I've made it to "Awaiting approval from GAO." Exciting stuff!

No interview or anything, which is interesting. Perhaps it's because I spoke extensively with my supervisors beforehand.

Any advice on whether/when it's appropriate to ask the Department about rankings for funding?

Wishing everyone best of luck!
Original post by mada34
Hey, all!

I just checked the portal a few minutes ago and saw I've made it to "Awaiting approval from GAO." Exciting stuff!

No interview or anything, which is interesting. Perhaps it's because I spoke extensively with my supervisors beforehand.

Any advice on whether/when it's appropriate to ask the Department about rankings for funding?

That’s fantastic— congratulations! If you feel comfortable, you could reach out to your potential sup. I’d suggest waiting til you get the official offer though :smile: just so it doesn’t seem presumptuous
Original post by mada34
Hey, all!

Congratulations!!! Wondering whether anyone else has proceeded to the next stage as well :-)
Hi,

I'm a MPhil in Education, Globalisation and International Development applicant. I had my interview on the 22nd of Jan, currently still at the under review . by the Department stage. Any ideas on when I should be expecting to hear back? It seems like a lot of offers have already gone out so feeling a bit hopeless now. :frown:
Original post by mada34
Hey, all!

Hey! Many congratulations!

An offer would be just on the horizon.

I would suggest waiting until the offer letter for contacting the department.
Original post by alinanoon
Hi,

I'm a MPhil in Education, Globalisation and International Development applicant. I had my interview on the 22nd of Jan, currently still at the under review . by the Department stage. Any ideas on when I should be expecting to hear back? It seems like a lot of offers have already gone out so feeling a bit hopeless now. :frown:

I am guessing that some time around Mid-Feb would be good to wait. The applicant profiles are usually evaluated by at least two faculty members for triangulation and put forward for an admission recommendation.

Since 22nd was just recently, give it some time. The Ed Faculty can be a bit slow in giving out decisions and usually are trickled gradually instead of a full batch at once. And, just because others have got offers doesn't mean yours wouldn't come. :smile:
Reply 34
Hey, all! Thanks so much for the kind words.

I got my conditional offer email today! Quite a quick GAO turnaround, perhaps because I went to a large American uni.

Timeline, for posterity:
Applied - Dec 3
GAO - Jan 28 (hadn't checked the portal for a few days, so it could've been earlier)
Conditional offer - Jan 30

Now for the college and funding wait. I preferenced Corpus and Caius, so we'll see. Curious how this funding process will work with colleges that have few posted studentships, but state that they regularly collaborate with the Trust -- like Corpus.
Reply 35
Original post by mada34

I got my conditional offer email today! Quite a quick GAO turnaround, perhaps because I went to a large American uni.

Timeline, for posterity:
Applied - Dec 3
GAO - Jan 28 (hadn't checked the portal for a few days, so it could've been earlier)

Now for the college and funding wait. I preferenced Corpus and Caius, so we'll see. Curious how this funding process will work with colleges that have few posted studentships, but state that they regularly collaborate with the Trust -- like Corpus.

Many congratulations! 🌺🌿
Any MPhil Education applicants still waiting to hear back?
Original post by mada34

Timeline, for posterity:
Applied - Dec 3

Wow! Many Congratulations! Well done!
Reply 38
Thanks, all! Rooting for you guys!
Has anyone else heard back this week? I’m starting to get really nervous...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending