The Student Room Group

Which Uni is best from this list?

Hi all

I'm applying as an international student who just finished my diploma, looking to get my bachelors in Graphic design (or similar courses e.g. graphic communication, etc in these Universities:

- Manchester Metropolitan
- Wales Trinity Saint David
- Huddersfield
- Cardiff Metropolitan

Spoiler

What Uni is the best for art/design courses and life there (particularly best for part time work too? :smile:

I'd appreciate any advice given or if you'd recommend another uni (within the same budget above, not more than 13.5k gbp), as I've never been to the UK but have the means to do now for education purposes, so I'm not familiar with each university location/specialization/culture.

Thanks everyone. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Have you looked on the complete university guide uk rankings?
Reply 2
Original post by Lizzibethneri
Have you looked on the complete university guide uk rankings?

Hi! Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't know about that site, only checked QS and THE rankings and it was pretty confusing. I've just checked and the top three are UWE Bristol at 55, Hertfordshire at 74 and Cardiff Metropolitan at 96. Sounds good! But I'm still curious on how each location are over there.

Searching each Uni using YouTube isn't that great, as official channels mostly post promotional content e.g. scripted library typing on laptop scenes or nightlife partying with DJs, while the personal students vlog are mostly ramblings in their dorms, lol. I'm more interested in how is the day to day actual life in each uni/town..

I also Googled and found some posts from thestudentroom, a user saying Cardiff Metropolitan has a better sports team... so does that mean Cardiff Met has more sports life culture over there?? So then which Uni out of those three that's not sports focused?

Oh! How about part time employability as an international student in each town (Bristol, Hertfordshire, Cardiff)..

I have a lot of questions and since I'm not able to go check myself, here I am asking on TSR.. I appreciate any helpful answer and advice given

Thank you :smile:
Firstly if your tight on finances forget about Middlesex as it is in the most expensive city London to live. UWE is in Bristol which is a really good student city but again on the expensive side. Cardiff Met is in a very good student city a couple of miles out of the centre but Cardiff is one of the cheaper areas to live. The university of South Wales has different campuses and I am not sure which campus the art courses are dealt with. The main campus is in Treforest about a mile from the small town of Pontypridd. Not the best town but only about 12 miles from Cardiff which is a very good city for students. They also have a campus in the middle of Cardiff which I think houses Media and possibly Art. University of Wolverhampton is not far from Birmingham which is an excellent student city and shouldnt be as expensive as London I dont know much about Bedfordshire but it is in a fairly small city and this is true of Hertfordshire which given where it is based will probably be an expensive area. I dont know much about Art courses but perhaps @PQ. might be able to help.
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly if your tight on finances forget about Middlesex as it is in the most expensive city London to live. UWE is in Bristol which is a really good student city but again on the expensive side. Cardiff Met is in a very good student city a couple of miles out of the centre but Cardiff is one of the cheaper areas to live. The university of South Wales has different campuses and I am not sure which campus the art courses are dealt with. The main campus is in Treforest about a mile from the small town of Pontypridd. Not the best town but only about 12 miles from Cardiff which is a very good city for students. They also have a campus in the middle of Cardiff which I think houses Media and possibly Art. University of Wolverhampton is not far from Birmingham which is an excellent student city and shouldnt be as expensive as London I dont know much about Bedfordshire but it is in a fairly small city and this is true of Hertfordshire which given where it is based will probably be an expensive area. I dont know much about Art courses but perhaps @PQ. might be able to help.

I have just researched university of South Wales and their Art courses are in the centre of Cardiff which is a really great student city and was rate one of the cheapest in the UK to live. Another option is the seaside town of Aberystwyth another quite cheap to stay. It is quite isolated from elsewhere but once you are there is a really nice safe town with loads of pubs but likes places like Hertfordshire wont have the kind of nightlife found in places like Bristol and Cardiff. University of Wales Trinity St Davids in Swansea is another worth looking into. The Art and Media departments are in the middle of a smallish city whose indoor market has just been voted the best large market in the UK. IT is close to the sea and a fairly cheap place to stay especially in houses in the second and third years. Swansea Art college has been around for years before joining UWTSD and is a world leader in stained glass apparently.

https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/swansea/
https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/ba-architectural-glass-arts/
Reply 5

Thanks for your detailed response!! I've chucked Middlesex off my list now :biggrin: I'm contemplating either Cardiff Met or Hertfordshire, but I'm unsure of what you meant here "but it is in a fairly small city and this is true of Hertfordshire which given where it is based will probably be an expensive area", so Hertfordshire is in a smaller city, expensive but not as expensive as London? Am I getting it right? :smile:

I have just researched university of South Wales and their Art courses are in the centre of Cardiff which is a really great student city and was rate one of the cheapest in the UK to live. Another option is the seaside town of Aberystwyth another quite cheap to stay. It is quite isolated from elsewhere but once you are there is a really nice safe town with loads of pubs but likes places like Hertfordshire wont have the kind of nightlife found in places like Bristol and Cardiff. University of Wales Trinity St Davids in Swansea is another worth looking into. The Art and Media departments are in the middle of a smallish city whose indoor market has just been voted the best large market in the UK. IT is close to the sea and a fairly cheap place to stay especially in houses in the second and third years. Swansea Art college has been around for years before joining UWTSD and is a world leader in stained glass apparently.

https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/swansea/
https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/ba-architectural-glass-arts/

I was typing the above reply when you replied with more help! Thank you again. I will look into UWTSD too! Their design courses looks to be rated highly as well :biggrin:
How are the working opportunities there as an international student? Do I have to apply through my Uni career office, or can I just go walk and ask around town? Haha
And finally, are there any major difference between Wales and England culture/lifestyle wise? I know there is a Welsh language, is it required of a foreigner to learn Welsh as well when speaking to the locals? Especially if i'll be working part time there.. like, would it be rude if I didn't understand Welsh??

Thanks for all your help and advice @swanseajack1 :biggrin:
Reply 6
Where in Hertfordshire is the course? I think there are two locations - St Albans and Hatfield with Hatfield being larger. Both locations are pretty expensive and not as much going on for young people as cardiff.
Original post by azri_halias
Thanks for your detailed response!! I've chucked Middlesex off my list now WHICH I'm contemplating either Cardiff Met or Hertfordshire, but I'm unsure of what you meant here "but it is in a fairly small city and this is true of Hertfordshire which given where it is based will probably be an expensive area", so Hertfordshire is in a smaller city, expensive but not as expensive as London? Am I getting it right? :smile:

I was typing the above reply when you replied with more help! Thank you again. I will look into UWTSD too! Their design courses looks to be rated highly as well :biggrin:
How are the working opportunities there as an international student? Do I have to apply through my Uni career office, or can I just go walk and ask around town? Haha
And finally, are there any major difference between Wales and England culture/lifestyle wise? I know there is a Welsh language, is it required of a foreigner to learn Welsh as well when speaking to the locals? Especially if i'll be working part time there.. like, would it be rude if I didn't understand Welsh??

Thanks for all your help and advice @swanseajack1 :biggrin:

As ajj2000 has stated Hertfordshire will be quite expensive but probably not as expensive as inner London(nowhere is). It is also in quite small towns like St Albans and Hatfield which have populations around 50000. Aberystwyth is even smaller and these places are not going to offer the kind of live somewhere like Cardiff or Bristol will offer which offer populations of 350000 and 450000 and have loads of shops and clubs. Swansea is a bit smaller 250000 but has a very well known nightlife street with something like 20 bars and clubs. The market has just been awarded the UKs best large indoor market yesterday. The shopping area is small and compact but houses many of the uks more famous shops. Obviously Cardiff and Bristol being bigger offer more in respect of shops and entertainment. I am not an expert in art courses but do know Swansea Art college has been a leader in the stained glass field for many years.

Having checked the complete university table for Art and Design UWTSD is 21st UWE 34 USW 54 Cardiff Met 61 Wolverhampton 68 so there isnt a huge difference.

USW's art campus isnt on its main campus in Pontypridd but in Cardiff City centre not far from the train station. It is ideally placed to take in everything Cardiff has to offer. However the main university campus is about 12 miles away. Cardiff Met is not on their main campus but again a couple of miles away in Llandaff. It is about 2 miles from the city centre. UWTSD is in Swansea city centre. UWEs main campus is on the outskirts of Bristol about 4 miles out.

Bristol does tend to be a little more expensive than Wales but is a very good and popular student city.

As far as are the Welsh being different to the English yes but then places within Wales are very different too. Swansea and Cardiff are fairly cosmopolitan cities and very little Welsh is spoken in either. The further west and North you go the more you will become aware of the Welsh language. The pace of life is a bit slower in Wales than London but then that is true of the North of England. You certainly wont need to learn the Welsh language although you might hear the odd person conversing in it but the vast majority of the time people speak English in the cities. Swansea University has over 3000 students from abroad and I suspect something similar in Cardiff university so you will find people in both cities from abroad. I dont think the same applies to the universities you are applying for but if you stay in one of the private halls in either city for your first year you will meet many foreign students.
Cardiff, Herts and UWE all run well-regarded graphic design courses.

The UWE course is quite different to the other two though. It's much more focused on exploring social, environmental and political issues, primarily with typography, rather than the other two which are more industry-focused. UWE is known for producing clever, innovative work and is a great location but it has a different outlook to the majority of GD courses.
Reply 9
As ajj2000 has stated Hertfordshire will be quite expensive but probably not as expensive as inner London(nowhere is). It is also in quite small towns like St Albans and Hatfield which have populations around 50000. Aberystwyth is even smaller and these places are not going to offer the kind of live somewhere like Cardiff or Bristol will offer which offer populations of 350000 and 450000 and have loads of shops and clubs. Swansea is a bit smaller 250000 but has a very well known nightlife street with something like 20 bars and clubs. The market has just been awarded the UKs best large indoor market yesterday. The shopping area is small and compact but houses many of the uks more famous shops. Obviously Cardiff and Bristol being bigger offer more in respect of shops and entertainment. I am not an expert in art courses but do know Swansea Art college has been a leader in the stained glass field for many years.

Having checked the complete university table for Art and Design UWTSD is 21st UWE 34 USW 54 Cardiff Met 61 Wolverhampton 68 so there isnt a huge difference.

USW's art campus isnt on its main campus in Pontypridd but in Cardiff City centre not far from the train station. It is ideally placed to take in everything Cardiff has to offer. However the main university campus is about 12 miles away. Cardiff Met is not on their main campus but again a couple of miles away in Llandaff. It is about 2 miles from the city centre. UWTSD is in Swansea city centre. UWEs main campus is on the outskirts of Bristol about 4 miles out.

Bristol does tend to be a little more expensive than Wales but is a very good and popular student city.

As far as are the Welsh being different to the English yes but then places within Wales are very different too. Swansea and Cardiff are fairly cosmopolitan cities and very little Welsh is spoken in either. The further west and North you go the more you will become aware of the Welsh language. The pace of life is a bit slower in Wales than London but then that is true of the North of England. You certainly wont need to learn the Welsh language although you might hear the odd person conversing in it but the vast majority of the time people speak English in the cities. Swansea University has over 3000 students from abroad and I suspect something similar in Cardiff university so you will find people in both cities from abroad. I dont think the same applies to the universities you are applying for but if you stay in one of the private halls in either city for your first year you will meet many foreign students.

Thank you very much for your detailed response and help in everything. :smile: Really appreciate it, and thanks for the suggestion of UWTSD, I have sent an application together with UWE Bristol and Hertfordshire, my choices in order. Wouldn't have known about UWTSD if it weren't for you!

Original post by insidedesigner

The UWE course is quite different to the other two though. It's much more focused on exploring social, environmental and political issues, primarily with typography, rather than the other two which are more industry-focused. UWE is known for producing clever, innovative work and is a great location but it has a different outlook to the majority of GD courses.

I have read about that and am intrigued by it, so I've applied at UWE as well besides UWTSD and Hertfordshire. But looking at the accommodation prices for UWE made me gulp, lol. Interestingly they do not provide any bursary or discount for international paying students as well, that combined with the expensive on campus and off campus accommodation, I probably just can't afford there--unless a miracle happens where affordable rooms for city centre campus there is available for me lol. Hopefully there is before intake dates!

Thanks for your help and everyone else. Looking forward to get my BA there :biggrin: So far Hertfordshire has sent a conditional offer, UWE is in portfolio processing, and I just applied for UWTSD.
Hi all

I'm applying as an international student who just finished my diploma, looking to get my bachelors in Graphic design (or similar courses e.g. graphic communication, etc in these Universities:

England
University of Hertfordshire
University of Bedfordshire
Middlesex University London
University of Wolverhampton
UWE Bristol
Wales
Cardiff Metropolitan University
University of South Wales

What Uni is the best for art/design courses and life there (particularly best for part time work too? :smile:

I'd appreciate any advice given or if you'd recommend another uni (within the same budget above, not more than 13.5k gbp), as I've never been to the UK but have the means to do now for education purposes, so I'm not familiar with each university location/specialization/culture.

They are all ****, to be honest.
Original post by moe acki
They are all ****, to be honest.

Why? Reasons?
(edited 4 years ago)
We love Swansea :smile: You've got the beach and great night life!
Original post by insidedesigner

Hi @insidedesigner ! I'd like to ask about more uni if you don't mind, since you've explained about other unis well previously. :smile: I have refined my shortlist uni as below:
- UWE Bristol
- Huddersfield
- Cardiff Metropolitan

Could you share anything on Manchester Metropolitan, Huddersfield, and Wales Trinity Saint David for their graphic design course?
I also have received a conditional offer from UWE Bristol.. Just trying to check out other unis and choose the best one... My main criteria are:
- Good uni environment and tutors and overall course quality
- Part time employability around campus town while studying to help cover my expenses
- Employability as a graduate in the UK (skilled job)

Also pinging @swanseajack1 !

Hope to hear from you soon, thank you :smile:
Hi @insidedesigner ! I'd like to ask about more uni if you don't mind, since you've explained about other unis well previously. :smile: I have refined my shortlist uni as below:
- UWE Bristol
- Huddersfield
- Cardiff Metropolitan

Could you share anything on Manchester Metropolitan, Huddersfield, and Wales Trinity Saint David for their graphic design course?
I also have received a conditional offer from UWE Bristol.. Just trying to check out other unis and choose the best one... My main criteria are:
- Good uni environment and tutors and overall course quality
- Part time employability around campus town while studying to help cover my expenses
- Employability as a graduate in the UK (skilled job)

Also pinging @swanseajack1 !

Hope to hear from you soon, thank you :smile:

I really dont know too much about design courses or these universities. Manchester is a huge city in UK terms and the university appears to be in the city centre. Huddersfield is a much smaller town but again the university appears to be quite central. There are good train links with both Manchester and Leeds. Being a northern city or town I suspect the cost of living will be fairly low although Manchester being a city will probably be higher. UWTSD Art and Media campus is in the city centre and again Swansea is a fairly cheap city to live.
I work in design education, as well as in the design industry. I try to give unbiased opinions but i try not to write anything negative about any courses.

I would ignore league tables. They often have little connection to the quality of work being produced on each course, which i think is the most important factor when deciding where to go. Have a look at the work that their graduates produce and think “do i want to create work like that?”. Unless a course has consistently bad student satisfaction rates (roughly under 70%) it could still be well worth considering.

All the courses you mention above could lead to excellent employment prospects and they’re all located in areas which would allow you to work part-time.

If employability is important to you, i would suggest Cardiff, Manchester and UWE would be the best bets. They vary a lot in terms of year group size, and UWE have a different outlook (as discussed above) but they have good reputations and they’re in larger, more cultural cities. For international students, i’d always recommend being in (or close to) the most established design centres like London, Manchester, Leeds or Bristol. Don’t worry too much, there’s no bad options there.
Reply 16
Hi all

- Huddersfield
- Cardiff Metropolitan

Spoiler

Manchester Met is very known for it’s art institution (manchester school of art). manchester is also a great city for socialising. Have you researched Kingston university? they have a very well acclaimed graphic design course you may want to look into. Its also a short train from London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending