The Student Room Group

Who should the bus seat be given up to?

You are at on a jam-packed bus during rush hour and your journal is going to take an hour to get to the final destination...

A frail old lady and a teenager wearing a leg cast and crutches both get onto the bus at the same time.

Assume no one else is polite enough to give up their seat so there's no way of them both getting to sit down.

Who would you give up your bus seat to?

Scroll to see replies

Older people in general... and of course women, pregnant women, and people with disabilities such as broken arm, broken leg...
they can play musical chairs tbh cause I’m not deciding whose pain is more severe. The first person who sits down
Original post by CTLeafez
You are at on a jam-packed bus during rush hour and your journal is going to take an hour to get to the final destination...

A frail old lady and a teenager wearing a leg cast and crutches both get onto the bus at the same time.

Assume no one else is polite enough to give up their seat so there's no way of them both getting to sit down.

The old lady, no question for me.
Neither, I need my seat.
Old lady
Reply 6
The teenager, because the old lady will be kind enough to give up her chance for the teenager.
Reply 7
I feel it should be my seat since I've paid to be there. I get a sore ankle and sometimes knee, I like to sit on long journeys.
The older lady
The old lady without a doubt
Assuming i'm not in dire need of it myself i'd happily stand, but I'd expect them to sort it between themselves, I'd also be hoping to prompt someone else to do the same.

The alternative is that someone faces a large risk right?
How do you know that the broken leg isn’t due to brittle bones or another complex medical condition? By standing it could prolong chronic pain? Which might be similar to the old lady.
Reply 12
Who has the furthest to travel? One of them might be getting off in a couple of stops; you said an hour to the final destination, not that there weren't stops in between.
No question about it. The old lady.
Original post by MoonlightRain
they can play musical chairs tbh cause I’m not deciding whose pain is more severe. The first person who sits down

same, lol.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Neither, I need my seat.

I get that. My son travels to work occasionally by train. I’ll point out he’s a great bloke with excellent manners to start with.
he will stand but it pisses him off greatly that his journey costs a fortune and he can’t have a seat because the train is full of pensioners using free passes for day trips out The solution has to be more seating

Give my seat to the teenager and then ask someone else to give up their seat for the old lady
Certainly must be a old lady who can hardly walk or someone who is disabled

The old lady she’s frail, weak and old so obviously her the teenagers strong and healthy it’s only one leg he can use the other one to stand if worse come to worse he’ll just sit on the floor
Original post by Sammylou40
I get that. My son travels to work occasionally by train. I’ll point out he’s a great bloke with excellent manners to start with.
he will stand but it pisses him off greatly that his journey costs a fortune and he can’t have a seat because the train is full of pensioners using free passes for day trips out The solution has to be more seating

At the grand age of 26 I am already getting significant back, hip and knee problems. But nobody can see that, to the outside world I'm a healthy looking young man.

Quick Reply

Latest