The Student Room Group

People in the street laughing at me for no reason

Whenever I go out in public places like a shopping centre or retail park people look at me and laugh/giggle and I don’t know what their problem is. I respond by looking at them back seriously and sometimes I feel paranoid because of this. I feel like hitting them because I just feel humiliated whenever someone does this. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Are they actually laughing at you?
Reply 2
Original post by Treetop321
Are they actually laughing at you?

Most often whenever I’m in a busy place (not all the time) people just smile and one or two people laugh whilst I’m walking past them. They could just be laughing at something else IDK but it’s a problem for me
When I tell people this happens to me, I get told I'm "delusional" and it's simply a "symptom of my schizophrenia".

Tbh though, buddy, teenagers are ***** and do laugh at people in the street.
Original post by TMWEe
Most often whenever I’m in a busy place (not all the time) people just smile and one or two people laugh whilst I’m walking past them. They could just be laughing at something else IDK but it’s a problem for me

Chances are they aren't laughing at you.

Original post by Sabertooth
When I tell people this happens to me, I get told I'm "delusional" and it's simply a "symptom of my schizophrenia".

Tbh though, buddy, teenagers are ***** and do laugh at people in the street.

Most teenagers aren't though.
Chances are they aren't laughing at you.

Most teenagers aren't though.

Yeah they are. Especially in the UK.
Yeah they are. Especially in the UK.

No, they aren't.

Why would they be laughing at you?
Reply 7
I try to act normal and walk along but sometimes I can’t help it and get angry for some reason which probably makes it worse
Original post by TMWEe
I try to act normal and walk along but sometimes I can’t help it and get angry for some reason which probably makes it worse

Why would they be laughing at you? How old are these people?
Original post by TMWEe
Whenever I go out in public places like a shopping centre or retail park people look at me and laugh/giggle and I don’t know what their problem is. I respond by looking at them back seriously and sometimes I feel paranoid because of this. I feel like hitting them because I just feel humiliated whenever someone does this. What should I do?

Are you wearing a t-shirt with a hilarious slogan on it?

But seriously though, why would they be laughing at you?
No, they aren't.

Why would they be laughing at you?

If I knew, I'd change it so they don't laugh. But it's either because I'm a government experiment and they're being paid to, or, more likely I admit, they don't like my clothes, hair, where I'm looking, how I'm walking, because they're ****s, because they're wimps, because I'm alone. All manner of reasons! And I guarantee this is happening to OP too.
Reply 11
This has occurred in the past five months and I feel like moving areas because of this situation. I just came back from the gym and walked into Sainsbury’s with about three people laughing, two were right in front of my face pretending to look away as I looked at them.
If I knew, I'd change it so they don't laugh. But it's either because I'm a government experiment and they're being paid to, or, more likely I admit, they don't like my clothes, hair, where I'm looking, how I'm walking, because they're ****s, because they're wimps, because I'm alone. All manner of reasons! And I guarantee this is happening to OP too.

Most teens aren't going to laugh at people just because they are walking past.

This does sound like you are paranoid.
Original post by TMWEe
This has occurred in the past five months and I feel like moving areas because of this situation. I just came back from the gym and walked into Sainsbury’s with about three people laughing, two were right in front of my face pretending to look away as I looked at them.

Why would they be laughing? How old are they?
idk only explanation is that your just clapped af.
Reply 15
Why would they be laughing? How old are they?

Mostly teens that are about 15 and over but some look older aswell
I guarantee this is happening to OP too.

(teenagers)
Original post by TMWEe
Mostly teens that are about 15 and over but some look older aswell

@Treetop321 bingo.
Original post by TMWEe

Is there anything about your appearance that people might find funny, or perhaps shocking (and their laughter is of the nervous variety)?
Original post by TMWEe

if you are sure they are laughing at you, then there must be a reason that they laugh at you.
(teenagers)

@Treetop321 bingo.

Teenagers are generally the people that laugh randomly in public as well. I don't see many middle-age people laughing in the street, but I can think of many teenagers who do this (including me). It doesn't mean they are laughing at you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending