The Student Room Group

GCSE French help???

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me, I'm in year 10 but really panicking about French, genuinely think I'm going to fail lol, is anyone interested in joining a group chat for french help or to share notes or revision techniques? I would literally be grateful for any help at this point

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esha_aaaaaaaaaaa
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me, I'm in year 10 but really panicking about French, genuinely think I'm going to fail lol, is anyone interested in joining a group chat for french help or to share notes or revision techniques? I would literally be grateful for any help at this point

I did my GCSE french last may and was meant to fail but passed, pissed around in lessons since I started and just did duolingo (idk how to spell it) the week before and did fine
I can help you with general advice but I got from a 5 to a 7 so idk if thats okay for you
Original post by Rae5
I did my GCSE french last may and was meant to fail but passed, pissed around in lessons since I started and just did duolingo (idk how to spell it) the week before and did fine

Ohhh ok, do you mind if I ask what grade you got?
Original post by PetitePanda
I can help you with general advice but I got from a 5 to a 7 so idk if thats okay for you

Wow well done! That's great, would you happen to have any of your old notes or anything like that?
Ohhh ok, do you mind if I ask what grade you got?

I was getting 7s in the mock but my french teacher hated me (long story but she was head of behaviour and kept expelling my brother as he has autism so acted “poorly” and I called her out for picking on him) so she made me sit foundation despite the fact I could do better so I only got a 5 as that’s the highest you can get on foundation:frown: but I was capable of more
Wow well done! That's great, would you happen to have any of your old notes or anything like that?

I actually dont have my old notes but I really didnt use it because writing and reading wasnt the thing i was struggling the most in... well a bit for reading. I'm sorry I literally dumped everything GCSE so I could never see it again or be reminded of GCSE french. I would suggest to find out what part of the 4 in french are you struggling with: writing, reading, listening or speaking.
Original post by Rae5
I was getting 7s in the mock but my french teacher hated me (long story but she was head of behaviour and kept expelling my brother as he has autism so acted “poorly” and I called her out for picking on him) so she made me sit foundation despite the fact I could do better so I only got a 5 as that’s the highest you can get on foundation:frown: but I was capable of more

Well done! Do you have old notes or anything that you would be able to send me?
I actually dont have my old notes but I really didnt use it because writing and reading wasnt the thing i was struggling the most in... well a bit for reading. I'm sorry I literally dumped everything GCSE so I could never see it again or be reminded of GCSE french. I would suggest to find out what part of the 4 in french are you struggling with: writing, reading, listening or speaking.

Haha I can't wait to be able to throw away all of my gcse notes too! I definitely struggle with writing and speaking, I'm not very confident and also I can't really construct higher level or advanced sentences quickly by myself, I think my reading is fine and listening is generally okay too. My problem is that I can understand french quite well but find it difficult to actually communicate in it accurately
Well done! Do you have old notes or anything that you would be able to send me?

sorry no I burnt them the second I had the chance, but honestly get on duolingo and set daily challenges it’s a life saver you’ll be annoyed with all the reminders they send but happy when you get the results
Original post by Rae5
sorry no I burnt them the second I had the chance, but honestly get on duolingo and set daily challenges it’s a life saver you’ll be annoyed with all the reminders they send but happy when you get the results

Ohhh okay, it's not a problem and thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Ohhh okay, it's not a problem and thank you so much for the advice :smile:

Also if you go to your exam boards website you can find the specification and it may help to read it
Original post by Rae5
Also if you go to your exam boards website you can find the specification and it may help to read it

I've done that, but there's just so much vocab to learn! I found a quizlet set that has them all in though so I'm just going to give that a go
Haha I can't wait to be able to throw away all of my gcse notes too! I definitely struggle with writing and speaking, I'm not very confident and also I can't really construct higher level or advanced sentences quickly by myself, I think my reading is fine and listening is generally okay too. My problem is that I can understand french quite well but find it difficult to actually communicate in it accurately

For speaking, definitely work on your exam techniques for both the roleplay and photocard. For the roleplay, write !!!!!!!!! next to the questions so you can be prepared to answer the question being said to you; only write one simple sentences and if they ask you to write something like "two details" keep it simple and brief like two things you did (e.g. I went to town and eat at a restaurant); for the question you have to ask, look up some question starters like comment...? as-tu...? Quoi?. For the photocard, I used PALMS for the first point: P - how many people they are or what gender they were; A - what action were they doing; L - which location were they at; M - what mood/emotion they were in; S - what the weather/season it was (I didnt include this one that much). So it would go like this: In the photocard, there is 2 girls and 2 males, who are very happy. They are playing tennis outside the park, since the sun is out. Then I would aim for 2/3 sentences for the 2 other points. For general conversation, just keep rehearsing what you are gonna say and remember to ask a question. I did these things and I'm pretty sure thats how I improved my grades because i used to get 4s in speaking. Btw i did AQA so it might be different for your exam board.

For writing, I would go speak to your teacher and ask for further help because they will be the best method to help you with this. If you wanna improve your reading, there's an app that lets you do 5 min exercise and it goes through vocabulary and I found this good. Also go to over what you are gonna say in your real speaking exam a week or two or whatever with your teacher so you have some experience beforehand. Good luck btw :smile:
For speaking, definitely work on your exam techniques for both the roleplay and photocard. For the roleplay, write !!!!!!!!! next to the questions so you can be prepared to answer the question being said to you; only write one simple sentences and if they ask you to write something like "two details" keep it simple and brief like two things you did (e.g. I went to town and eat at a restaurant); for the question you have to ask, look up some question starters like comment...? as-tu...? Quoi?. For the photocard, I used PALMS for the first point: P - how many people they are or what gender they were; A - what action were they doing; L - which location were they at; M - what mood/emotion they were in; S - what the weather/season it was (I didnt include this one that much). So it would go like this: In the photocard, there is 2 girls and 2 males, who are very happy. They are playing tennis outside the park, since the sun is out. Then I would aim for 2/3 sentences for the 2 other points. For general conversation, just keep rehearsing what you are gonna say and remember to ask a question. I did these things and I'm pretty sure thats how I improved my grades because i used to get 4s in speaking. Btw i did AQA so it might be different for your exam board.

For writing, I would go speak to your teacher and ask for further help because they will be the best method to help you with this. If you wanna improve your reading, there's an app that lets you do 5 min exercise and it goes through vocabulary and I found this good. Also go to over what you are gonna say in your real speaking exam a week or two or whatever with your teacher so you have some experience beforehand. Good luck btw :smile:

Oh my gosh thank you so much! I can already feel my French grades improving! I do AQA as well so that is very useful, thank you! Do you remember what the app is called for the reading?
Hello there. U should do past papers. And listen to the vocab. That helps

Hiya, I did my French GCSE (AQA) in 2019 last year and got a 9. I’m not really sure on revision technique tbh, it was one of those subjects that I just got however I did really struggle with the listening throughout the whole 2 years. There are some podcast apps or YouTube videos in French with English subtitles I would suggest listening to. If you immerse yourself in the language you tend to pick up on small little parts of it which will help understand words, if you start sooner it will be much easier.
In year 10 I was scraping 5’s maybe 6’s and struggled with it however it all seemed to come together and make loads more sense in year 11, plus you get a couple of months of just pure revision which really helps.
For speaking, I prepared answers/ phrases for very generic and common questions which may pop up, eg what did you do this weekend?
The really high grade answers are the ones where all 3 tenses are in each answer you give or most answers with a few wow phrases however this isn’t completely necessary if you just want to pass. Also make sure your pronunciation is nailed before you start anything else, they are really harsh on that.
For reading make sure you go through the texts and questions and highlight/annotate words you know or phrases, also try and make sense of sentences even though you don’t know every single words. Just because you are unsure on one word doesn’t mean you won’t understand the whole sentence, just skim over the word and get the general gist for the sentence meaning. Make sure you are really confident on tenses too and can easily spot them, examboards like to trick students out with things like that. If you are running out of time, do the translation on the back, its worth lots of marks and usually isn’t as hard as the texts.
For writing you have quite a bit of time so don’t stress or worry about having to rush it. For each bulletpoint make a plan on what you are going to say before you start writing. Make sure that you add atleast 2/3 tenses too. Like the reading, if you’re running out of time do the translation on the back as it’s worth lots of marks. Try to write an even amount for each bullet point so you have covered all bases
Overall, i think the best thing for you to do is exam questions, you will start to feel more comfortable and confident with the style of questions and what you need to do for each one.
Hope this helped, if you want to ask anything else, feel free to PM me
Best of luck 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jeff Curry
Hello there. U should do past papers. And listen to the vocab. That helps

Yes, I'm trying but I can only find past papers from up to three years ago so I don't want to waste them! Does anyone know any good websites where I can find slightly older papers?
Original post by Ayesha Nahoor
Hiya, I did my French GCSE (AQA) in 2019 last year and got a 9. I’m not really sure on revision technique tbh, it was one of those subjects that I just got however I did really struggle with the listening throughout the whole 2 years. There are some podcast apps or YouTube videos in French with English subtitles I would suggest listening to. If you immerse yourself in the language you tend to pick up on small little parts of it which will help understand words, if you start sooner it will be much easier.
In year 10 I was scraping 5’s maybe 6’s and struggled with it however it all seemed to come together and make loads more sense in year 11, plus you get a couple of months of just pure revision which really helps.
For speaking, I prepared answers/ phrases for very generic and common questions which may pop up, eg what did you do this weekend?
The really high grade answers are the ones where all 3 tenses are in each answer you give or most answers with a few wow phrases however this isn’t completely necessary if you just want to pass. Also make sure your pronunciation is nailed before you start anything else, they are really harsh on that.
For reading make sure you go through the texts and questions and highlight/annotate words you know or phrases, also try and make sense of sentences even though you don’t know every single words. Just because you are unsure on one word doesn’t mean you won’t understand the whole sentence, just skim over the word and get the general gist for the sentence meaning. Make sure you are really confident on tenses too and can easily spot them, examboards like to trick students out with things like that. If you are running out of time, do the translation on the back, its worth lots of marks and usually isn’t as hard as the texts.
For writing you have quite a bit of time so don’t stress or worry about having to rush it. For each bulletpoint make a plan on what you are going to say before you start writing. Make sure that you add atleast 2/3 tenses too. Like the reading, if you’re running out of time do the translation on the back as it’s worth lots of marks. Try to write an even amount for each bullet point so you have covered all bases
Overall, i think the best thing for you to do is exam questions, you will start to feel more comfortable and confident with the style of questions and what you need to do for each one.
Hope this helped, if you want to ask anything else, feel free to PM me
Best of luck 😊

Well done on your grade, I'm sure you were very proud! Thank you so much for the advice, that's really useful. Do you know anywhere I could find practice questions at all?
Oh my gosh thank you so much! I can already feel my French grades improving! I do AQA as well so that is very useful, thank you! Do you remember what the app is called for the reading?

It's called drops :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending