The Student Room Group

Entry requirements?

Hi,
I am in my final year of Level 3 Animal Management I plan to finish with the grade D*D*D*. I have always wanted to do a Veterinary Medicine course however, I have recently learned the chances of getting onto these courses are slim with a BTEC. I am willing to do A-levels but I don’t know how many I would need as I already have a BTEC which is meant to be equivalent to A-levels. I was hoping to get accepted on a gateway/access course unfortunately, I don’t meet the GSCE requirements and my Level 2 Diploma isn’t equivalent to the required science GCSE’s

My question is what A-levels and how many would I need to do in addition to my BTEC to get onto a Veterinary Medicine course. I am open to any advice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bolt2009
Hi,
I am in my final year of Level 3 Animal Management I plan to finish with the grade D*D*D*. I have always wanted to do a Veterinary Medicine course however, I have recently learned the chances of getting onto these courses are slim with a BTEC. I am willing to do A-levels but I don’t know how many I would need as I already have a BTEC which is meant to be equivalent to A-levels.

My question is what A-levels and how many would I need to do in addition to my BTEC to get onto a Veterinary Medicine course.

https://www.vetschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/VSC-course-guide.pdf
You are better off contacting each school and asking if it doesnt say on the webpage.
There are only 7 and if it doesnt say on the webpage only they can give you an answer of what they will require on top.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://www.vetschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/VSC-course-guide.pdf
You are better off contacting each school and asking if it doesnt say on the webpage.
There are only 7 and if it doesnt say on the webpage only they can give you an answer of what they will require on top.

Thanks for replying,
Most unis don’t have the information of what requirements you need in addition to the BTEC they just have A-level requirements on the webpage. Although I do know you need fewer A-levels if you have a BTEC but contacting the unis is a good idea, thanks.
Original post by 999tigger

There's actually 10 veterinary medicine courses. Surrey has just been accredited in the past few months after their first cohort graduated, Harper & Keele Veterinary school is taking their first intake this September and RVC & Aberystwyth are opening a joint course for 2021 intake.
Original post by OrangeArcher
There's actually 10 veterinary medicine courses. Surrey has just been accredited in the past few months after their first cohort graduated, Harper & Keele Veterinary school is taking their first intake this September and RVC & Aberystwyth are opening a joint course for 2021 intake.

Sorry missed the new ones was just going from the pdf. Answer is still the same though. Non standard entry so only they can say.
Check with the individual uni's
I'm fairly certain Liverpool has recently changed to now not accepting BTEC qualifications but again ask them if its not clear
Reply 6
Check with the individual universities, I had to do the same. I have an access to HE diploma and it is not listed on my uni entry requirements.
Hi,
I am in my final year of Level 3 Animal Management I plan to finish with the grade D*D*D*. I have always wanted to do a Veterinary Medicine course however, I have recently learned the chances of getting onto these courses are slim with a BTEC. I am willing to do A-levels but I don’t know how many I would need as I already have a BTEC which is meant to be equivalent to A-levels.

My question is what A-levels and how many would I need to do in addition to my BTEC to get onto a Veterinary Medicine course.

Hi there! Have you considered the new vet school at Harper-Keele? As another user mentioned previously on this thread, Harper-Keele will be taking in their first cohort of vet med applicants this September! I have just gone through the entry requirements and given that you have completed your GCSEs, your predicted BTEC Level 3 grades are more than enough for you to have a shot in Harper-Keele! You can read more about the entry requirements, including grades and work experience on this webpage- https://www.harperkeelevetschool.ac.uk/study/432/veterinary-medicine-and-surgery/

If you want to read more about the Harper-Keele vet school, you can do so on this webpage - https://www.harperkeelevetschool.ac.uk/
I hope this helps! If you have any other questions about Harper-Keele, please don't hesitate to ask and I will try my best to find out for you!
Reply 8
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador1
Hi there! Have you considered the new vet school at Harper-Keele? As another user mentioned previously on this thread, Harper-Keele will be taking in their first cohort of vet med applicants this September! I have just gone through the entry requirements and given that you have completed your GCSEs, your predicted BTEC Level 3 grades are more than enough for you to have a shot in Harper-Keele! You can read more about the entry requirements, including grades and work experience on this webpage- https://www.harperkeelevetschool.ac.uk/study/432/veterinary-medicine-and-surgery/

If you want to read more about the Harper-Keele vet school, you can do so on this webpage - https://www.harperkeelevetschool.ac.uk/
I hope this helps! If you have any other questions about Harper-Keele, please don't hesitate to ask and I will try my best to find out for you!

Hi @Keele Student Ambassador1,
I’ve looked into the course at Harper-Keele previously, it’s sounds like an amazing opportunity! However, I don’t meet the GCSE requirements as I only achieved a 4 (C) in both English and Maths and I don’t think my Level 2 Diploma in Animal Management covers the science requirements. If you have any further advice, I’m open to it as the course as Keele really stood out when I was searching for a course.
Hi @Keele Student Ambassador1,
I’ve looked into the course at Harper-Keele previously, it’s sounds like an amazing opportunity! However, I don’t meet the GCSE requirements as I only achieved a 4 (C) in both English and Maths and I don’t think my Level 2 Diploma in Animal Management covers the science requirements. If you have any further advice, I’m open to it as the course as Keele really stood out when I was searching for a course.

Hi again! Have you looked at the foundation year course? I have just gone through the entry requirements and your GCSE grades should be enough to get you in! You can do a Biology with Science Foundation year at Keele and proceed onto Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at Harper-Keele. You can read more about the foundation year course through this link-https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/foundationyears/foundationcourses/biologywithsciencefoundationyear/#entry-requirements
Hi,
I am in my final year of Level 3 Animal Management I plan to finish with the grade D*D*D*. I have always wanted to do a Veterinary Medicine course however, I have recently learned the chances of getting onto these courses are slim with a BTEC. I am willing to do A-levels but I don’t know how many I would need as I already have a BTEC which is meant to be equivalent to A-levels. I was hoping to get accepted on a gateway/access course unfortunately, I don’t meet the GSCE requirements and my Level 2 Diploma isn’t equivalent to the required science GCSE’s

My question is what A-levels and how many would I need to do in addition to my BTEC to get onto a Veterinary Medicine course. I am open to any advice.

hi :smile:

I am also in my second year of L3 Animal Care and plan to finish with D*D*D*. my gcses aren't great (mostly 5's) and the rvc was the only uni I can apply for vet med via the gateway course. I wasn't eligible via route A, however I applied for the Sutton Trust summer school and did this last summer. i think I also heard somewhere that this guarantees an interview(?) but don't quote me on that :redface:.

in terms of A-levels, I think most unis ask for biology, chemistry and one of your choice, although I would call and ask :smile:. I think some unis also want the BTEC as well as an extra A-level (e.g. Bristol).

if not, there's always the possibility of going into vet med as a graduate through a related degree such as veterinary biosciences.

hope this helps and good luck :smile: x
Reply 11
Hi - as others have said, your best bet is to get in touch with vet schools directly. They will be able to offer the most accurate and up-to-date information. I imagine that, if A Levels are required, you would need Biology, Chemistry and possible 1 other - but the subjects and grades you would need would depend on your situation and whether you are eligible for any access courses or reduced grade offers. Again, worth calling the vet schools to check.

I would also urge you to consider work experience- this will be a key part of any application, so if you haven't completed any already then it's definitely worth making a start. When COVID-19 has passed, it would be worth contacting local vet practices, kennels, farms, abattoirs etc. and trying to spend a few weeks in as many different settings as possible, to ensure veterinary is the career for you and to meet the requirements needed for a successful application. See vet school websites for the exact work experience requirements.

Further to other answers, while summer schools etc. can be helpful to applicants, attendance does not guarantee an interview or offer - each cycle of applicants are assessed against each other, and only the highest-ranking will be invited to interview (this is standard for all vet schools). Your application is assessed differently by different unis but they may look at GCSE, A Level or equivalent predicted or achieved grades, work experience, results from separate questionnaires/online assessments etc.

I'm a current first year vet student at Notts so feel free to ask me any questions:smile:
Hope this helps and all the best xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending