The Student Room Group

I feel like im not improving at driving.

20, M, and i'm such a **** driver. I keep making the same mistakes in my lessons that should be second nature by now.
I've had 35 or so 1 hour lessons which is moving up to 2 hour lessons so far. My test is in the 31st of January and I feel like I am not ready even though my instructor says I am.

But today's lesson really got me, I ****ed up at roundabouts, signaling on wrong exits, almost hit a green bin and I failed to stop at a pedestrian crossing to let a woman on a bike across.. I've already done this once before on another pedestrian crossing in a different lesson.

What annoyed me about this is, I never looked on both sides of the crossing. My eyes were focused on the car opposite me slowing right down and next thing I knew my instructor slammed the breaks and pointed to my right. I saw the woman wave and cycled across.

Unbelievable. i thought to myself. instead of looking at the pedestrian crossing I was looking at the ****ing car in front of me and wondering why he's ****ing stopping.

My instructor did say it was dark and vision is limited, true, it was dark hence why I made many mistakes. It was my first time driving at night.
I told myself that's no excuse, its me who's driving and the one responsible for it.

I still beat myself up about this. After every lesson I write down what I did wrong and what to improve on. Some lessons I improve on some things, some lessons I make the same mistakes 2 lessons before.

I feel like im not improving, something always goes wrong in my lessons and my instructor always has to intervene.

Confidence is dropping fast and im getting more anxious because my test is coming up.

Any advice?
So what if you fail your test?

Treat it as a different sort of lesson to what you normally have. Treat it as preparation for the test that you will eventually pass.
Of course, give it your best shot, but think of your test as another learning experience. Embrace failure. Not just in your driving test but in all aspects of your life.

Between lessons, watch youtube driving videos from people like DGN driving school and Ashley Neal.

Think about changing your instructor. It's a bit late now for your 31/1/20 test. But after that test would be a good time.
The youtube videos are also useful for showing you examples of good instructors.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
So what if you fail your test?

Embrace failure. Not just in your driving test but in all aspects of your life.

I needed this, thank you. Just what I wanted to hear. I've been so worked up about the test lately.
Okay, time for an update!

I failed on the 31st of January and I let it get to me. Booked another soon as (11 march 2020) and passed with 4 minors.

Practice truly does make 'perfect'.

I'd like to think I failed the 1st one because I wasn't ready to pass, there was still more practice to be done.
I got more lessons and it ultimately lead to me passing.

I've been driving for a few days now with no P plates after passing because my dad told me it will only make me more anxious as people around me must give me space.
and honestly he's right, I've just been driving like i'm part of the majority of drivers and everything is going really well.

All the downtalk on myself was unnecessary and I felt like I was just being stupid xD

It gets easier with time and once you drive on your own for the first time with no one in the car, that's when you'll feel like you are at your peak confidence.
I went through my first Drive Thru at McDonalds today! Sounds stupid but I felt like I made serious progress!
Congratulations.

It'll take about 100,000 miles of driving for you to build up full anticipation and defensive driving skills. So that other road users around you can make mistakes and you will still be able to negotiate the situation without crashing the vast majority of times.

Did you change your instructor after the first test, or did you stick with the same one?

The insurance premiums on passing your test are pricey, but they will come down with 3 to 5 years of trouble free motoring. Which is a huge incentive to keep to the speed limits and drive as safely as you can at all times.
Thank you!

I did stay with the same instructor as he wanted to help me sort out my mistakes.
I asked more and more questions about things I wasn't sure of and he helped me out by explaining clearly whilst on the road.

I'm fairly confident on the road and yes, i shouldn't be too careful as many unpredictable things can happen.
The other day I had to beep a lady looking down on her phone whilst trying to cross the road. She just kept staring down at her phone and didnt bother to look to her left!
Thankfully, She stepped back, waved and smiled as a means to say thanks.
Her face was priceless when I beeped her, literal shock and awe. I was quite close and I fear for the worst if I didn't beep her..

There was a pedestrian traffic light crossing literally 3 feet away from her that she could have used too.

My insurance was actually okay, lower than I'd thought it would be but I have to get a Blackbox fitted as I am a new and young driver.
Original post by asiandesigner
Thank you!

I did stay with the same instructor as he wanted to help me sort out my mistakes.
I asked more and more questions about things I wasn't sure of and he helped me out by explaining clearly whilst on the road.

I'm fairly confident on the road and yes, i shouldn't be too careful as many unpredictable things can happen.
The other day I had to beep a lady looking down on her phone whilst trying to cross the road. She just kept staring down at her phone and didnt bother to look to her left!
Thankfully, She stepped back, waved and smiled as a means to say thanks.
Her face was priceless when I beeped her, literal shock and awe. I was quite close and I fear for the worst if I didn't beep her..

There was a pedestrian traffic light crossing literally 3 feet away from her that she could have used too.

My insurance was actually okay, lower than I'd thought it would be but I have to get a Blackbox fitted as I am a new and young driver.

In maybe 3 - 6 months, depending on how many miles you drive, you might want to consider taking the Pass Plus course which is only 6 hours in total. Lots of standard driving instructors provide this, but if yours doesn't just search online for Pass Plus in your area.
It's designed for people who have recently passed their standard driving test, to pick up on (and hopefully eliminate) any little bad habits you're starting to develop, and also to give you more varied tuition that isn't just aimed at getting you through your initial driving test. Notably, Pass Plus includes motorway driving, which can be a whole different thing and very daunting for some people.
I really needed to read this thread! I keep messing up, doing things that I shouldn’t be doing at this stage, I’m bumping my lessons up to 4 hours a week I’ve done a total of about 30 hours, my test is in about 4 weeks and I don’t want to mess up. This thread has given me hope that if I fail it’s okay, it just means I’m not ready yet and I accept that.

Thankyou for relieving me of this great disappointment I have brought on my self,this has lifted me up 😇

Latest

Trending

Trending