The Student Room Group

To firm or not to firm?

As we are all well aware, the current situation has unleashed a lot of uncertainty and stress around grade allocation and university places. Many year 13s are currently sat on multiple offers. I have a couple of thoughts:

- is it best to confirm your choice of firm and insurance now? This would give unis a better idea of actual applicant numbers for places, and they may be able to offer more grade flexibility. Also, I'm assuming that schools and sixth forms still have access to UCAS, and would therefore be able to see the offer a student is aiming for before allocating grades (wishful thinking?).

- is it best not to confirm yet in the hope that a university might revise its offer downwards?

I'm veering towards the first option as my way forward. Any thoughts?
i would wait a couple of days more especially if you are unsure, i haven't firmed yet and yesterday i got offered an unconditional offer from one of my choices
Original post by normaw
As we are all well aware, the current situation has unleashed a lot of uncertainty and stress around grade allocation and university places. Many year 13s are currently sat on multiple offers. I have a couple of thoughts:

- is it best to confirm your choice of firm and insurance now? This would give unis a better idea of actual applicant numbers for places, and they may be able to offer more grade flexibility. Also, I'm assuming that schools and sixth forms still have access to UCAS, and would therefore be able to see the offer a student is aiming for before allocating grades (wishful thinking?).

- is it best not to confirm yet in the hope that a university might revise its offer downwards?

I'm veering towards the first option as my way forward. Any thoughts?

The general advice in any year is to delay choosing your firm and insurance as many come on here regretting having made their choices early and wanting to change their choices. However we are now getting to the stage where choosing which university needs to be made.

Based on previous year's evidence most universities actually accept students with results below their predicted grades. A drop of 1-2 grades is usually accepted but many universities accept lower than that. A few especially top ones dont accept grade reductions at all.

The evidence shows that 75% do not meet their predicted grades and 9% exceed them so if the new system follows what would normally happen most student's results will be lower than their predicted grades. If that happens then student's will end up being unhappy with their teacher's and schools.

I dont think anybody knows the answer to your question. A number of universities have already turned their offers from firm to unconditionals. The Government has suggested that universities be flexible. We dont know whether there will be a reduction in foreign students or not so really it is impossible to know what is right.

My gut feeling would be to choose firm and insurance in the normal way. If a university is accepting students on lower grades it is likely they will accept offers with those lower grades anyway and clearing and adjustment may or may not take place this year.
Original post by salma.elk
i would wait a couple of days more especially if you are unsure, i haven't firmed yet and yesterday i got offered an unconditional offer from one of my choices

Was the unconditional offer a change to an offer already made or one that you were still waiting for?
Original post by normaw
Was the unconditional offer a change to an offer already made or one that you were still waiting for?

it was a change from an offer
Original post by salma.elk
it was a change from an offer

Interesting - thanks.
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont think anybody knows the answer to your question. A number of universities have already turned their offers from firm to unconditionals. The Government has suggested that universities be flexible. We dont know whether there will be a reduction in foreign students or not so really it is impossible to know what is right.

My gut feeling would be to choose firm and insurance in the normal way. If a university is accepting students on lower grades it is likely they will accept offers with those lower grades anyway and clearing and adjustment may or may not take place this year.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was 99.9% which uni to firm before exams were cancelled and the situation won't change my mind.
Original post by normaw
Thanks for your thoughts. I was 99.9% which uni to firm before exams were cancelled and the situation won't change my mind.

Good your firm should always be where you want to go and the insurance somewhere you would ne happy to go if your firm rejects you. My gut feeling is universities will be more lenient this year as there could be loads of special consideration cases to deal with otherwise. A few at the top end might not be but most will probably be accepting students on reduced grades to enable them to achieve their number unless the marking system is more lenient than previous years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending