The Student Room Group

Which Access to HE course for Natural Sciences?

I would like to study a natural science undergraduate course starting in September 2021. The plan is to complete an Access to HE course this year.

Here are my options....

Course #1: Combined Science

EvolutionEcologyCells, Tissues, OrgansNutrition and digestionHomeostatis Blood & CirculationMicrobiologyApplied GeneticsBiomolecules (biochemistry)

BiochemistryEnergeticsDrugs and food additives Chemistry FoundationsPeriodic TableSeperation and Analysis

Course #2: Science & Allied Health

EvolutionCells, Tissues, OrgansNutrition and digestionGeneticsBiomolecules (biochemistry)

Biochemistry Energetics and kineticsChemistry FoundationsOrganic Chemistry

Course #3: Science

EcologyHuman Anatomy & Physiology

Chemistry FoundationsOrganic ChemistryChemical Analysis

Foundation Physics Nuclear Physics

Which of these three courses do you believe would put somebody in good stead for a natural sciences course? I noticed the first two lack any Physics - but is Physics necessary for a biological pathway on the course?
Original post by Deank
I would like to study a natural science undergraduate course starting in September 2021. The plan is to complete an Access to HE course this year.

Here are my options....

Course #1: Combined Science

EvolutionEcologyCells, Tissues, OrgansNutrition and digestionHomeostatis Blood & CirculationMicrobiologyApplied GeneticsBiomolecules (biochemistry)

BiochemistryEnergeticsDrugs and food additives Chemistry FoundationsPeriodic TableSeperation and Analysis

Course #2: Science & Allied Health

EvolutionCells, Tissues, OrgansNutrition and digestionGeneticsBiomolecules (biochemistry)

Biochemistry Energetics and kineticsChemistry FoundationsOrganic Chemistry

Course #3: Science

EcologyHuman Anatomy & Physiology

Chemistry FoundationsOrganic ChemistryChemical Analysis

Foundation Physics Nuclear Physics

Which of these three courses do you believe would put somebody in good stead for a natural sciences course? I noticed the first two lack any Physics - but is Physics necessary for a biological pathway on the course?

Hi there,

I would suggest emailing the admissions departments act the universities you are interested in so they can tell you for definite which course will allow you to study NatSci, as entry requirements vary by university. At Bath, our entry requirements for an Access to HE diploma are:

"36 credits at Distinction

A pass in the Access to HE Diploma (in Science or Science and Engineering) with at least 36 credits achieved at Distinction and 3 credits achieved at Merit or Distinction.

You will typically need to have studied units worth 12 credits at Distinction each in two core sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics). If you study Physics as a core science you will also need a further 12 credits at Distinction in Mathematics units. You can be considered with just Chemistry and Mathematics, providing you have 12 credits at distinction each.

If you wish to take Chemistry options on our course you must be studying both Organic and Inorganic Chemistry units."

Essentially, you do not need to study any physics if you do not wish to study physics in NatSci at uni. I can't comment on which of the options you've stated would be best suited, so I would say your best bet is to email [email protected] and they can give you a concrete answer.

I hope this has helped, and let me know if you have any more questions,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I would suggest emailing the admissions departments act the universities you are interested in so they can tell you for definite which course will allow you to study NatSci, as entry requirements vary by university. At Bath, our entry requirements for an Access to HE diploma are:

"36 credits at Distinction

A pass in the Access to HE Diploma (in Science or Science and Engineering) with at least 36 credits achieved at Distinction and 3 credits achieved at Merit or Distinction.

You will typically need to have studied units worth 12 credits at Distinction each in two core sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics). If you study Physics as a core science you will also need a further 12 credits at Distinction in Mathematics units. You can be considered with just Chemistry and Mathematics, providing you have 12 credits at distinction each.

If you wish to take Chemistry options on our course you must be studying both Organic and Inorganic Chemistry units."

Essentially, you do not need to study any physics if you do not wish to study physics in NatSci at uni. I can't comment on which of the options you've stated would be best suited, so I would say your best bet is to email [email protected] and they can give you a concrete answer.

I hope this has helped, and let me know if you have any more questions,

Thank you for your reply!

I'm finding everything really frustrating a the moment. Due to coronovirus most colleges are lacking communication and it's hard to get hold of the tutors! I'm trying.

That was helpful, thank you.
Original post by Deank
Thank you for your reply!

I'm finding everything really frustrating a the moment. Due to coronovirus most colleges are lacking communication and it's hard to get hold of the tutors! I'm trying.

That was helpful, thank you.

Hi there,

No problem, and I'm glad I could help! I understand the frustration with lack of communication, but hopefully the admissions department should get back to you quickly if you phone or email them at the details I gave you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending