The Student Room Group

Was Tony Blair the worst PM of 21st century?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

No. In terms of political charisma and competency he was very good - as shown by him being re-elected three times. His constitutional reforms such as 1998 the Human Rights Act and the separation of the Supreme Court could be shown to have been successful. Ultimately, his downfall was the Iraq war, which is very difficult to overlook as innocent lives were lost and checks and balances failed In the UK system which was very problematic. I guess it depends how you look at for whether he was ‘good’ or ‘bad’ but imo, he wasn’t the worst leader of the 21st Century.
No, Mr Johnson is the worst, indeed probably the worst since Lord North in the 18th century, if not of all time.

Mr Blair probably is the most hated former Prime Minister though.
Does he edge Thatcher on the hate scale...?
No.
His predecessor was much worse.
As was Baldwin, Brown, Wilson, Callaghan and May.
Original post by londonmyst
No.

I think Atlee was the worst.
No, Tony Blair is probably the best of this century so far (other than Iraq). Out of the 21st Century PMs I would say that Johnson is the worst (followed by May) due to his handling of Coronavirus and the Prorogation of Parliament last year. Though of course he may become a better PM - or he might not even be PM by the end of the year.
Reply 7
Original post by Highrise769
What do you think?

lol no
Reply 8
No.

His predecessor doesn't qualify though does he. Nor the majority of the other names you've mentioned.
I would say so. He is a war criminal, can't get much worse than that
Reply 10
I think Atlee was the worst.

Of the 21st century? Expecting reincarnation?
No.

I think May would’ve been much better if the brexiteers didn’t continually undermine her and selfishly pursue their agenda of a hard brexit which wasn’t even what anyone voted for.
Original post by Kavala
I think May would’ve been much better if the brexiteers didn’t continually undermine her and selfishly pursue their agenda of a hard brexit which wasn’t even what anyone voted for.

I doubt it.
May was no Thatcher, Blair, Churchill or Cameron.
I voted for Boris despite his Brexit deal mainly because I opposed the direction of Corbyn's Labour and couldn't stomach lending my vote to the DUP.
I doubt it.
May was no Thatcher, Blair, Churchill or Cameron.
I voted for Boris despite his Brexit deal mainly because I opposed the direction of Corbyn's Labour and couldn't stomach lending my vote to the DUP.

I oppose brexit entirely so I could never vote conservative or labour for that matter. I’d vote for the Liberal Democrat’s
Reply 14
What do you think?

Theresa May?
Original post by Neomycin
He is a war criminal, can't get much worse than that

Which convicted war criminal are you referring to?
Adolf Eichmann, Hermann Göring, Jean-Paul Akayesu or Radovan Karadzic.
Reply 16
Original post by Kavala

How do you think May would be coping right now.....?
Reply 17
Original post by Kavala

People did not see "hard brexit" or "soft brexit" on the referendum ballot paper! Remember? So how do you know?
Does he edge Thatcher on the hate scale...?

There are many who still love Margaret Thatcher. Not many are as positive about Tony Blair, even those who vote Labour.
Original post by Orange7829
No, Tony Blair is probably the best of this century so far (other than Iraq). Out of the 21st Century PMs I would say that Johnson is the worst (followed by May) due to his handling of Coronavirus and the Prorogation of Parliament last year. Though of course he may become a better PM - or he might not even be PM by the end of the year.

I wish that Mr Johnson was not Prime Minister tomorrow, but I think he will be there until at least 2023, and only leave then if the Tories think they might not get a majority in 2024.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending