The Student Room Group

What to do if your parents are not letting you go to a specific sixth form?

I am going to sixth form in September and going to a sixth form which is quite far for me but it is very good and has outstanding teachers and good environment but the problem is that my parents won't let me to go that sixth form because first of all they will say that "someone will beat you up/kill you second thing is that "its quite far and its dangerous" and its a dangerous area (they think it is). I want to go to this sixth form but my parents won't let and they will say you have to go to another sixth form but its my future and like I want to go to a good sixth form. I have chosen my courses and want to study there and are they allowed to dictate where I should go or is it my choice? I know my parents are trying to support me by saying that you can't go to that sixth form but i feel like its a good sixth form to go to.
Reply 1
Original post by Robot_Mega
I am going to sixth form in September and going to a sixth form which is quite far for me but it is very good and has outstanding teachers and good environment but the problem is that my parents won't let me to go that sixth form because first of all they will say that "someone will beat you up/kill you second thing is that "its quite far and its dangerous" and its a dangerous area (they think it is). I want to go to this sixth form but my parents won't let and they will say you have to go to another sixth form but its my future and like I want to go to a good sixth form. I have chosen my courses and want to study there and are they allowed to dictate where I should go or is it my choice? I know my parents are trying to support me by saying that you can't go to that sixth form but i feel like its a good sixth form to go to.

Did you try to explain that to you parents? or did you take your parents to the sixth form where you want to go so they be get a chance to talk to staff and that put their mind to ease? And how far it is??
Reply 2
I don't think they have any control over the situation but as important as your choice is for a school, are you willing to strain your relationship with your parents? I think you should have an in-depth conversation with your parents for each of you to understand your choices and your future.

Do you think your grades would be greatly improved by going to this school instead of the one your parents want to go to? Does it really benefit you enough instead of the other school? Though you don't have to take your parent's advice, I think you should take what they're saying into consideration.

However, at the end of the day it's your choice and you should pick the one that would benefit you the most, whether it's on a personal or academic level.
Reply 3
Original post by ohnojay
I don't think they have any control over the situation but as important as your choice is for a school, are you willing to strain your relationship with your parents? I think you should have an in-depth conversation with your parents for each of you to understand your choices and your future.

Do you think your grades would be greatly improved by going to this school instead of the one your parents want to go to? Does it really benefit you enough instead of the other school? Though you don't have to take your parent's advice, I think you should take what they're saying into consideration.

However, at the end of the day it's your choice and you should pick the one that would benefit you the most, whether it's on a personal or academic level.

Yeah, that's also a good point. Are you willing to strain your relationship with your parents as you live with them? It might create a toxic environment at home and can effect your mental health. Yeah try to talk to them rather then going to against them I would say (just saying that bcos your mental heath is far imp that grades). Again its your decision.
Reply 4
Original post by Qer
Did you try to explain that to you parents? or did you take your parents to the sixth form where you want to go so they be get a chance to talk to staff and that put their mind to ease? And how far it is??

I have explained to them before but I haven't spoke to them at the moment. I did take them to my interview and it took about 1 hour and 10 mins to go in the car and the staff didn't talk to them.
Reply 5
Original post by ohnojay

I heard good stuff about this sixth form and how it is and their teachers but I have also applied to 2 more sixth forms. The other ones I have applied to is another one of my choice but I chose a levels but they gave me Btecs as my maths was not that good but I'm waiting for my predicted grades to come as this will determine if I met the entry requirements. I have applied to 2 more so if one doesn't accept me then I can go to my other choice.
Reply 6
The sixth form you go to could have an impact on parents, especially if they're driving you there or paying for your transport. If it's far away transport will be more expensive/ it will take more time out of their day if they take you. So i don't think it is entirely you're decision, especially if you need their support to go. Also, do their fears make sense? If it is dangerous you might want to reconsider on your own. That said if it will give you a better education and your heart's set then have a convo with them and explain properly why this is where you want to go. If they're chill parents that might be enough to change their mind.
Reply 7
Original post by Qer
Yeah, that's also a good point. Are you willing to strain your relationship with your parents as you live with them? It might create a toxic environment at home and can effect your mental health. Yeah try to talk to them rather then going to against them I would say (just saying that bcos your mental heath is far imp that grades). Again its your decision.

Yeah, I agree. I haven't really talked with them about my sixth form destinations as I'm waiting for my predicted grades to come and see if I met the entry requirements. I will decide from then as I have 3 months and I want to talk to them when it's right for them but the only problem is that they are worried about myself and what is going to happen to me.
Reply 8
Original post by eveb543
The sixth form you go to could have an impact on parents, especially if they're driving you there or paying for your transport. If it's far away transport will be more expensive/ it will take more time out of their day if they take you. So i don't think it is entirely you're decision, especially if you need their support to go. Also, do their fears make sense? If it is dangerous you might want to reconsider on your own. That said if it will give you a better education and your heart's set then have a convo with them and explain properly why this is where you want to go. If they're chill parents that might be enough to change their mind.

My parents won't drive me there as I'm going to go on a bus because my parents won't have the time to take me there every time and the sixth form also gives you free bursary which provides a free buss pass and lunch vouchers. The sixth form that I'm going to is going to be new for me as I have seen the place when I went to my interview but I won't say its dangerous because it's quite a calm area as suggested on google. The only problem for me is that I need to be alert for anything suspicious that is going on because the place that I'm going to may be "dodgy" but I got to look out for myself. I have applied to other sixth forms and they are good to but the only problem is that if I don't get accepted into one sixth form, I have another option open to go to. I wanted to go to another sixth form I applied to but they gave me Btec options and I couldn't do a levels because of my maths. I know how my parents are feeling but I got to be aware of my surroundings as this is important for me and I didn't have a conversation with them yet as I'm waiting for the right time to come most likely when I get my predicted grades.
Reply 9
I have explained to them before but I haven't spoke to them at the moment. I did take them to my interview and it took about 1 hour and 10 mins to go in the car and the staff didn't talk to them.

The staff didn't talk to them as it was a one to one and wanted to specifically talk to the students about their options and let them know about the experience towards the sixth form.
Reply 10

If it is 70 mins drive on car it means it is definitely going to take double time on public transport (or triple depending on traffic). I mean if your are planning to take bus everyday It will be difficult for you to manage I think. So are you willing to spend almost 5 hrs daily to travel? I went to sixth form that took 45 mins on bus and it was a pain tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Qer
If it is 70 mins drive on car it means it is definitely going to take double time on public transport (or triple depending on traffic). I mean if your are planning to take bus everyday It will be difficult for you to manage I think. So are you willing to spend almost 5 hrs daily to travel? I went to sixth form that took 45 mins on bus and it was a pain tbh.

It is going to be annoying as on bus for me it's going to take 77 mins. You have a good point but the reason why I'm going to this sixth form is that if any of the sixth forms that I have applied to don't accept me, then I might go to this sixth form but I'm hoping I don't get bad predicted grades as this will impact on where I'm going. I have already decided on the sixth form that I'm going but they gave me Btecs options but they told me if you get good predicted grades you can change it to a levels.
Reply 12
It is going to be annoying as on bus for me it's going to take 77 mins. You have a good point but the reason why I'm going to this sixth form is that if any of the sixth forms that I have applied to don't accept me, then I might go to this sixth form but I'm hoping I don't get bad predicted grades as this will impact on where I'm going. I have already decided on the sixth form that I'm going but they gave me Btecs options but they told me if you get good predicted grades you can change it to a levels.

ahh cool. In that case maybe you can email your teachers and explain whole situation if they predicted you lower graders. Maybe they can help you.
Reply 13
Original post by Qer
ahh cool. In that case maybe you can email your teachers and explain whole situation if they predicted you lower graders. Maybe they can help you.

Yeah, but the only problem is that they may predict you high grade but ofqual and the other examining boards may predict you lower so I may not get good predicted grades.
Reply 14
Yeah, but the only problem is that they may predict you high grade but ofqual and the other examining boards may predict you lower so I may not get good predicted grades.

i didn't know how exam board are going to predict grades but anyway goodluck. no point of stressing now. When you got grades you will have time to decide
Reply 15
Original post by Qer
i didn't know how exam board are going to predict grades but anyway goodluck. no point of stressing now. When you got grades you will have time to decide

Okay, thanks for your help anyways.
Original post by RobotCops

Iam in the exact same position as you- my parents are forcing me to go to a sixth form I don't want to attend and I really want to go back to my old one as I believe it's a better place for me to work in. It's so frustrating because at the end of the day you're the person who's going there, not them and we should have a say in where we go.

Latest

Trending

Trending