The Student Room Group

Santander account blocked

So I sold a phone through Facebook. They wanted to pay by bank transfer. Sent 1st class like they asked.
So I posted on Monday lunch time and informed him. I then went to work. When I had my break I had so many Facebook messages from him Asking for the receipt and threatening to inform the police etc etc. I told him to calm down that I didn’t have my phone to hand. That I will talk to him after work.
He continued to send harassing messages to me. I again informed him that it is sent I will contact him when I’ve finished work. I didn’t get in from work till 10pm had a bath and fell asleep.
Well the messages I had in the morning from him so I blocked him on Facebook.
He had my email address any way. So On Thursday i go to log in my bank and my account is blocked. I called Santander I was put through to security team who informed me that it’s been reported as an unauthorised payment. They asked what it was for so i informed them. They asked for the receipt I told them I don’t think I have it as I posted the phone before work and put into my lunch bag. I said it was only sent Monday and post is slow at the moment. I said in a Response if they want to refund him so I can get my account opened then when he receives he can either send the phone back or re send the money. They put that note on my account and said i would hear in 72hours.
So I checked my Emails Thursday after calling the bank and see he emailed me Wednesday. I sent him one back saying how post is slow and that his now had my account blocked for no reason. it’s only been 3 days and informed that a 1st class item took 2 weeks to arrive to me the other day. I’ve had no response from him.

So can anyone tell me what happens please. I have money in my account that I can’t withdraw but they said if I go in branch and prove how I got the money I can withdraw. All I receive is my universal credit and child benefits and child maintenance also my mum sends me money now and again which I can prove. But I also have bingo winnings. This site doesn’t send emails but I can log into the bingo site to show the withdrawal.
So is anyone able to help me with what happens please.
Yes I see. But he didn’t give anything a chance. After 2 days his reporting me.
If he hadn’t if threatened and harassed me he would of gotten a response.
Like I said I told him I posted at say 11:30am. Didn’t wait at my phone for his response as had to go work. When I had my break at 5pm he had sent 6 messages on Facebook and 2 emails. I mean seriously. I then told him when I’d be finishing work and he wanted a response as soon as I finished. I said no as I have to drive home have some sort of conversation with my partner have a bath etc. He said give me a time that your going to respond. I said I didn’t know an exact time but that I would. Anyway I happened to fall asleep. Woke up late when straight to work and completely forgot.
Next thing you know my accounts blocked.
I forgot to check my emails till the Thursday as so busy with work and children. Wish I had. Then this could of been sorted.
Yes I do “get it” but reporting after 2 days and not Being giving a chance for it to arrive. Maybe it has arrived but he wants the money and phone. I don’t know.
I don’t normally post things so I’m
Not clued up on it. It’s either collection or i deliver however he was 3 hours away.
I used the self scanner so didn’t know to send recorded. Now I know to only send recorded. Like I said he said to send 1st class so I did like he said.
Yes I should of sent him the receipt straight away but didn’t think at the time and was just in a rush to get to work.

Just to say I’m not the one sending threatening/abusive messages. He is.
All I sent to him on Thursday was asking him to allow some time for the post to arrive as it has been taking upto 10 working days to arrive. But he hasn’t responded.
I also sent another item 1st class that day and they got it Friday. But something I sent Wednesday 2nd class they got it the next day. So it’s all different.
Reply 3
Original post by Loveu123
Yes I do “get it” but reporting after 2 days and not Being giving a chance for it to arrive. Maybe it has arrived but he wants the money and phone. I don’t know.
I don’t normally post things so I’m
Not clued up on it. It’s either collection or i deliver however he was 3 hours away.
I used the self scanner so didn’t know to send recorded. Now I know to only send recorded. Like I said he said to send 1st class so I did like he said.
Yes I should of sent him the receipt straight away but didn’t think at the time and was just in a rush to get to work.

Just to say I’m not the one sending threatening/abusive messages. He is.
All I sent to him on Thursday was asking him to allow some time for the post to arrive as it has been taking upto 10 working days to arrive. But he hasn’t responded.
I also sent another item 1st class that day and they got it Friday. But something I sent Wednesday 2nd class they got it the next day. So it’s all different.

you seriously sent a mobile phone via non recorded delivery?
Original post by Ciel.
you seriously sent a mobile phone via non recorded delivery?

Like I said I sent how he asked. And like I said I don’t send things so didn’t know
Someone totally fails to provide tracking info with multiple bad excuses for 2 days? lost the benefit of the doubt, no wonder they reported it.
Like I said I sent how he asked. And like I said I don’t send things so didn’t know

A certificate of posting is free ...

So can anyone tell me what happens please. I have money in my account that I can’t withdraw but they said if I go in branch and prove how I got the money I can withdraw. All I receive is my universal credit and child benefits and child maintenance also my mum sends me money now and again which I can prove. But I also have bingo winnings. This site doesn’t send emails but I can log into the bingo site to show the withdrawal.
So is anyone able to help me with what happens please.

If you sell anything of great value like a mobile phone, it is essential to have tracking info available e.g. sending recorded delivery with a proof of postage. This will protect your side if anything happens. Without it, you cannot prove that you sent it, and if it gets delayed/lost in the post, you will find it hard to get any compensation. Selling through Facebook Marketplace means that it is up to you and the private buyer to sort out (unlike Ebay).

I understand that post may be delayed due to current circumstances but blocking him on Facebook does make things shady. You should try to be calm as possible with the customer and communicate clearly. Blocking him might make him think that you were trying to scam him.

In regards to bingo winnings, are these large amounts? Perhaps you have a statement in your bingo account that shows spendings and winnings that you can print off/print screen to show the bank.

You made your bed now lay in it. Use your common sense. Why the hell would you send a phone via non recorded delivery? Do you even have the receipt from the post office? Take it as a learning curve.
Original post by StriderHort
Someone totally fails to provide tracking info with multiple bad excuses for 2 days? lost the benefit of the doubt, no wonder they reported it.

It wasn’t posted tracked. Have you read the posts
You're asking for feedback and people are telling you how your actions would be perceived by others. Instead of accepting that perhaps this time you should have used a bit more initiative and apologising to the person you've sold the phone to, you're deflecting and blaming everyone but yourself.

There's always someone to blame and this time that person is you - regardless of your intentions, you do look like a fraudster at the moment to that other person and your behaviour hasn't exactly helped you.

As has said, if this happened to me I would have immediately charged back too. You will simply have to wait until he receives it and hope it doesn't get lost in the post. You said that there is some way you can withdraw money from the bank for now, so you will regrettably have to do that. Chalk it down to experience so it doesn't happen again, ALWAYS send high-value items TRACKED and get proof of postage.
(edited 3 years ago)

But that’s exactly it. You didn’t send it tracked so now the buyer is worried they won’t receive their item. They have every right to go off at you and all you’re doing is getting defensive. If you don’t know how to post something why not read up on it and learn before you make the outrageous mistake of sending a high value item with no tracking or evidence.

You then “blocked” him for no reason at all so now the buyer thinks you scammed him. No wonder. Your customer service is truly appalling.
(edited 3 years ago)

The Post Office would have given you advice if you did not know the best way of posting a high value item.
Can I ask how long it took to get unblocked please
Can I ask how long it took to unblock please
Original post by Proudlove
Can I ask how long it took to get unblocked please

I want to know that too. Mine is blocked too. Im making a complaint via solicitor now
Original post by Adamwalker12345
I want to know that too. Mine is blocked too. Im making a complaint via solicitor now

How long did it take yours to get unblocked if I may ask.
It will be different in every case depending on the circumstances of the blocking and what evidence the account owner provides. The OP didn’t respond 5 months ago so I doubt they will now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending