The Student Room Group

Roehampton vs. Aberystwyth

Hello,

I was accepted into both Aber and Roehampton for psychology but i am torn between the two :frown: anyone has any advice on how to pick between the two? i would love to live in London but Roehampton feels a bit outside of it with bad accommodations while aber seems perfect but i am afraid of hating the small-town life.
Which one is better overall?
Reply 1
Where do you live now? Roehampton seems a very expensive place to me compared with Aber which is cheap to live.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Where do you live now? Roehampton seems a very expensive place to me compared with Aber which is cheap to live.

I live in Sweden, it is quite expensive when comparing the two especially the uni accommodation:/
Reply 3
Original post by confused??
I live in Sweden, it is quite expensive when comparing the two especially the uni accommodation:/

Ah, so getting home for a weekend might be a problem in Aber - but its not common for students to do so which I think builds a better environment. I guess you haven't had a chance to visit?
I've lived in Wales all of my life I absolutely love it it's so relaxing and there's actually so many things to do! I'm going to Aberystwyth univeristy this September hopefully and the place is beautiful and the social life is great to say that it is smaller especially compared to London! It's my number one choice and I would recommend it, good luck whichever you choose.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, so getting home for a weekend might be a problem in Aber - but its not common for students to do so which I think builds a better environment. I guess you haven't had a chance to visit?

Unfortunately not, was planning on going in april and just seeing how i feel about the town and the uni
Reply 6
Original post by erinwilliams17
I've lived in Wales all of my life I absolutely love it it's so relaxing and there's actually so many things to do! I'm going to Aberystwyth univeristy this September hopefully and the place is beautiful and the social life is great to say that it is smaller especially compared to London! It's my number one choice and I would recommend it, good luck whichever you choose.

Congratulations!! what are you going to study? are you planning on staying in uni accommodation?
Congratulations!! what are you going to study? are you planning on staying in uni accommodation?

Criminology :smile:
Hopefully will be able to go to the actual uni and won't have to do online classes with everything thats going on!
Yess! I'm staying in Pantycelyn which is an all welsh speaking accomodation. Have you applied to any accomodation yet?
Reply 8
@Aberystwyth University @Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador - do you have any online tours for people unable to attend open days or see the town?
Original post by ajj2000
@Aberystwyth University @Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador - do you have any online tours for people unable to attend open days or see the town?

Yeah they do if you check out their website and they have online opendays too
Reply 10
Criminology :smile:
Hopefully will be able to go to the actual uni and won't have to do online classes with everything thats going on!
Yess! I'm staying in Pantycelyn which is an all welsh speaking accomodation. Have you applied to any accomodation yet?

Pantycelyn is the best one they have but i will apply to Fferm Penglais :smile: well, i do feel like i prefer aber a bit more now haha! its very similar to my hometown so maybe i wont be as homesick living there for 3 years
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000

I have seen all their virtual tours and so on but its always different in person. wish i had the opportunity to visit :frown:
Pantycelyn is the best one they have but i will apply to Fferm Penglais :smile: well, i do feel like i prefer aber a bit more now haha! its very similar to my hometown so maybe i wont be as homesick living there for 3 years

Yeah fferm penglais looks lovely too. I'm sure you will feel at home I think I preferred it more compared to a uni in a city as it's more welcoming and you feel like your a part of a community. If you do pick Aber i'm sure you'll have a blast! What made you pick the UK when looking at unis? :smile:
I have seen all their virtual tours and so on but its always different in person. wish i had the opportunity to visit :frown:

Aberystwyth is a lovely place but it is hell to get to from anywhere. It is a small town right on the coast next stop USA. It is a very friendly town and everyone who goes there loves it. It isnt called party town for nothing. As far as getting there your best option would be to fly into Birmingham then go across by train. It will take approx. 3 hours from Birmingham. It will take longer from other airports.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+university&&view=detail&mid=9C7491DDA9D995EA5BBD9C7491DDA9D995EA5BBD&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2Buniversity%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+&&view=detail&mid=A8CF5B3CC38381C29854A8CF5B3CC38381C29854&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2520%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Daberystwyth%2520%26sc%3D8-12%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D926D5FBB11F148C09E4B74226760F5AC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktMqrMioY0
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Yeah fferm penglais looks lovely too. I'm sure you will feel at home I think I preferred it more compared to a uni in a city as it's more welcoming and you feel like your a part of a community. If you do pick Aber i'm sure you'll have a blast! What made you pick the UK when looking at unis? :smile:

I studied the international baccalaureate in high school so it just made sense to continue in english! Plus the UK is “close” and beautiful and everyone who studies there absolutely loves it :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
Aberystwyth is a lovely place but it is hell to get to from anywhere. It is a small town right on the coast next stop USA. It is a very friendly town and everyone who goes there loves it. It isnt called party town for nothing. As far as getting there your best option would be to fly into Birmingham then go across by train. It will take approx. 3 hours from Birmingham. It will take longer from other airports.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+university&&view=detail&mid=9C7491DDA9D995EA5BBD9C7491DDA9D995EA5BBD&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2Buniversity%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aberystwyth+&&view=detail&mid=A8CF5B3CC38381C29854A8CF5B3CC38381C29854&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Daberystwyth%2520%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Daberystwyth%2520%26sc%3D8-12%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D926D5FBB11F148C09E4B74226760F5AC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktMqrMioY0

Thank you for the info! the last video is really awesome and shows how enjoyable aberystwyth is! the students seem to really love it there
Hey, I go to Roehampton and I love it! It's definitely a bit more expensive than Aberystwyth because it's based in London but it's cheaper than a lot of other unis in London. For example, I pay around £120 per week for my accommodation, the most expensive on campus is around £180 per week, but other unis in London will frequently charge £200+ per week for very average accommodation. In terms of atmosphere, I think it depends on what you're looking for. I believe Aber is a city uni (correct me if I'm wrong?) so if you're not a huge fan of everything being contained on one or two small campuses I would recommend that, but if you like the campus atmosphere Roehampton has an amazing campus. It's pretty small and there are two parts to it - the bigger part, which holds most academic classes and three of the colleges (Digby Stuart, Froebel, and Southlands), and the smaller part, which has most of the psychology classes and is home to Whitelands college. At the moment everything is closed at Roehampton but normally there's lots of stuff to do during the day and night, so even though you're on campus you don't feel cut off from the local area. Plus, if you like cities but don't want to live in one, Roehampton feels more suburban with lots of open space but it's easy to get into the city: there's actually a shuttle bus that's free for students to use and runs from Whitelands campus all the way up to the south side of Hammersmith bridge, and there's a train station about a mile away on foot as well.

Now I've typed all this I realise I've rambled on a bit, sorry about that haha! But if you've got any more questions about Roehampton I'm more than happy to answer them. :-)
Aberystwyth is most definitely a campus university something like Bath up on a hill above the town. It is close enough to walk to the very small town but all thr rooms are on or close to the campus and near the beach. It is very different to almost all other universities in that there are no large towns or cities nearby.
Original post by swanseajack1
Aberystwyth is most definitely a campus university something like Bath up on a hill above the town. It is close enough to walk to the very small town but all thr rooms are on or close to the campus and near the beach. It is very different to almost all other universities in that there are no large towns or cities nearby.

Ah okay, sorry for the confusion! I suppose it would depend then on how important it is to have towns nearby then.
Hi @confused??

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying studying here.

There are definitely pros and cons of both Aberystwyth and Roehampton.

Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. Aberystwyth University has been ranked 2nd in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Psychology according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

I would also recommend speaking to currents students about their experience at each university as well as current academic staff. This may help give you more of a feel of each university and help in your decision making.

It may also be worth looking at what the Societies and Sports clubs at each University, if you have any specific interests or sports you enjoy playing one university may have more to offer than the other. I’m part of several societies and sports clubs here in Aber, so let me know if you would like to know anything more!

On the UCAS website you can chat to students from different universities studying different courses through Unibuddy. Several other students and I from Aberystwyth are available to chat, look here if interested!

Please let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help!

Rebecca 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending