The Student Room Group

What age did you start wearing deodorant?

Although I started going through puberty at the age of 12, my parents didn't let me wear deodorant until a month before I turned 16 when I started my final year at secondary school. Between the age of 12 and starting year 11 just before turning 16, I was labeled as the class 'smelly' or 'stinky' and during sports lessons when the teacher said to get into groups of three or four etc, I'd always be the last one without a group to be in and he'd ask one of the groups if they let me join, and they'd reluctantly say OK.

I remember about four month after turning 13, we went on a school trip for ten weeks to a leisure center for our school swimming lessons and after we changed into our swimming trunks, we were walking down the corridor out into the pool area and one or two of my classmates were covering their noses with one arm as they ran past me to the pool sneering "It stinks in here" and when we were stood in a row at the pool side, someone pushed me into the pool shouting "Stinky boy needs his bath", I'm a decent swimmer so it didn't scare me. :nah:

Not long after I turned 14, some of us boys went on an ongoing school trip for just over a month similar to the swimming lessons but we were in an age 14 school football team. One week, we had a match against some 14 year old from a school in a village a couple of miles away from our home town. We get to the football ground and put on our shin pads and football socks, shorts and sweaters and after we get changed, our football coach comes to speak to us before we go out onto the field. He shouts out "Someone in here stinks of B.O!" and everyone is staring at me but nothing is said. When we leave the changing room, and walk down the corridor to the field, some of my team mates pull the tops of their football sweaters over their noses and one mutters "Get a wash". We lose the match, and as we are getting changed someone remarks how we would have won if it hadn't been for 'smelly boy'.

Just before Christmas, in our Drama lessons we put together a Christmas performance for people to watch in the hall on the last week before Christmas and I had to wear something very similar to a morphsuit, an all over body skin tight spandex costume, I was kind of embarrassed to wear because it was very revealing, you could see my underwear outline, and the exact shape of my skinny figure and my butt outline but what I was embarrassed about people seeing the most was the sweat patches under my arms from lack of deodorant. The performance I felt very nervous about and caused a lot more sweating and in the breaks in between our performances, I got lots of nose wrinkling and nose pinching from my class mates.

About a month later, I asked one of the girls in my year if she thinks I stink and she says that to her, all boys stink, worse than others, not a very helpful answer. :s-smilie:

About two weeks after I started in year 11, my mum takes me upstairs for a 'private conversation' and she says it's time I started wearing deodorant and held up a deodorant stick that was only a very cheap brand but I felt fresher after the next time I showered then used deodorant. My self esteem rose significantly and I no longer had sweat patches in my school uniform or the stench of body odor in my school uniform or had the issues with being the class 'smelly'.

What age did you start wearing deodorant and can you remember the talk your parents had with you about the subject of needing to wear deodorant for the first time?

Scroll to see replies

l started wearing deodorant at 16 but l come out in a rash so l only spray it on my shirts not on my body and you can get cancer from using deodorant as well
at 16? you guys are mad! No wonder the boys were smelly.
Reply 3
I started wearing it at 11.
Is there a reason your parents wouldnt let you?
What’s with these long posts?

Wore it at the beginning of secondary
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I started wearing it at 11.
Is there a reason your parents wouldnt let you?

Apparently it was "bad for my skin at such a young age". :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Coyotespud

Man I feel bad for the kids in your class after gym class 😂
Around 11
I used to steal my mum’s spray deodorants when I was like 10 cause I thought it’d make me mature but I started properly wearing it at 11.

Idk how you guys above started at 16, I was a grown ass woman by then. That’s brave.

Nah I’ve never ever heard that😂😂
I’ve been using industrial strength deodorant for years.

(I’m only semi joking)
Reply 10
When I hit puberty at 11

OP I’m sorry u had to go thru that, was there a reason why u weren’t allowed to wear deodorant?
Original post by NA_03
When I hit puberty at 11

OP I’m sorry u had to go thru that, was there a reason why u weren’t allowed to wear deodorant?

As I said before because my mum thought it was bad for my skin. I know it was tough at the time, but it's something I can laugh about to myself now. :lol:
Reply 12
As I said before because my mum thought it was bad for my skin. I know it was tough at the time, but it's something I can laugh about to myself now. :lol:

Ohh😲Well I’m glad it’s something u can laugh about now. At least now u understand the importance and benefits of using deodorant.
Any reason you didn't just buy some antiperspirant yourself? There are lots of unscented ones so your parents wouldn't have even known you were using it.

I started using it in year 8, so around 12-13.
When I started puberty at 12.
At 14 for a function and I had to wear it as it was a gift so...
Reply 16
Original post by Euphoria101
Nah I’ve never ever heard that😂😂
I’ve been using industrial strength deodorant for years.

(I’m only semi joking)

Same! :lol:
The second I hit puberty I hit a period of time where I stunk so bad that I had to get the "medical strength" deodorant 😭
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Same! :lol:
The second I hit puberty I hit a period of time where I stunk so bad that I had to get the "medical strength" deodorant 😭

😂😂those dove sprays did NOTHING for me I was always so jealous of girls that would do a quick spritz of it and walk away
Reply 19
Original post by Euphoria101
😂😂those dove sprays did NOTHING for me I was always so jealous of girls that would do a quick spritz of it and walk away

Ugh. I wish. If I used the spray I would have to cover myself in it :lol:
The special stuff would melt really easy, and it would get all waxy all over my desk. It was horrible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending