The Student Room Group

What was Brexit supposed to change?

I believe that many people, who voted for Brexit, are disappointed by the results. But what was Brexit actually meant to change? As it seems Brexit was huge mistake, leaving Britain in a worse state.
Reply 1
As a remainer it's easy for me to stereotype every Brexit voter as a racist, ignorant fool that wants immigrants out, jobs back for British people, etc etc.
But I believe for the majority of those voters, it was simply a matter of choosing something different. Voting to change the system. People are tired of the same old and want something new, even if they don't fully understand what that change is. It's the reason Donald Trump is president of the US and it's the reason remainers failed to win the vote when they demonised Brexiteers.
Reply 2
They wanted a change from the bureaucratic European Union. An institution which is full of kangaroo institutions, unelected people and quite frankly some stupid rules/regulations/procedures.

People also felt that free movement of people was a bad thing.

Those who originally voted to enter the European Union's predecessor felt scammed as it morphed into something completely different from what they were voting on at the polls all those decades ago. This is part of the reason why old people voted so much in favour of leave, they were the ones who were originally lied to.
Original post by Spad
They wanted a change from the bureaucratic European Union. An institution which is full of kangaroo institutions, unelected people and quite frankly some stupid rules/regulations/procedures.

So we voted in the Tories and the unelected Dominic Cummings! You really couldn't make it up!
The colour of the passport.
Reply 5
Original post by Will Power2
I believe that many people, who voted for Brexit, are disappointed by the results. But what was Brexit actually meant to change? As it seems Brexit was huge mistake, leaving Britain in a worse state.

What results? We haven't left yet. There are no results.
EU has changed since it first began. It is no longer a common market for free trade, but instead becoming a political union where unelected bureaucrats in the European Commission controlled what laws should be introduced on all EU nations. I support global trade, but I don't support the direction the EU is going where they strive for power and influence by creating an EU army and the plans for the EU to become the United States of Europe. The project is doomed and that is why the UK left.
Original post by Will Power2

UK to make its own laws.
UK to be governed by UK laws and UK courts.
UK no longer have to pay billions to EU.
UK control its own waters.
UK to protect which industries it sees fit.
UK to negotiate its own trade deals.

Why would people be disappointed? We havent fully left yet and are still in transition.
We wont know the results for 3 or 4 decades.

Do you only think in months?
I think most people expected Remain to win, and many who voted Leave did so as a protest, not expecting Leave to win. Including most of the Leave campaign I expect.
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
So we voted in the Tories and the unelected Dominic Cummings! You really couldn't make it up!

All Government advisors are unelected, what has that got to do with anything?

Alistair Campbell was unelected and a far bigger influence his Governments than Cummings is in this one.
Reply 10
Original post by ByEeek

As the other user noted advisers arent elected. Rather a good thing if you ask me, whether you like them as people or not, the idea of electing advisers seems patently absurd and a spectacular way to drive out expertise.
I never understood why the eu was made to seem like this big tyrannical dictator, most of the laws past were just common sense that our government would have passed themselves and didn't really harm anyone.

To me the eu was just used as a scapegoat, the uk has some serious issues and they're not gonna stop once we leave the eu.

Also the eu gave money to the uk, my mum used to run a youth group that was paid for by money given to the council through eu funded schemes, now we've left the eu or presumed to be, the group had to stop as the council wasnt sure where the money was going to come from.

I dont understand all the nuances but ultimately nothing is gonna change, the poor up north arent suddenly gonna become rich. We just really need to change the systemic issues within the country. If anything where probs gonna be worse off.
Original post by Spad
All Government advisors are unelected, what has that got to do with anything?

Alistair Campbell was unelected and a far bigger influence his Governments than Cummings is in this one.

The point is that it is a bit of a non-argument to say we should get out of the EU because of unelected kangeroo officials and institutions when the UK is littered with its own.
Reply 13
Original post by ByEeek
The point is that it is a bit of a non-argument to say we should get out of the EU because of unelected kangeroo officials and institutions when the UK is littered with its own.

But unelected Government advisors is the norm around the Globe. Unelected institutions and positions which hold continental influence however is not.
Original post by Spad
But unelected Government advisors is the norm around the Globe. Unelected institutions and positions which hold continental influence however is not.

Ok. Could you give me an example of an elected institution that has global influence?
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek
Ok. Could you give me an example of an elected institution that has global influence?

An elected institution that has global influence - central banks - parliaments - blah blah.
If the European Union will be lost in the Futur. Because it started now with the Brexit but i wonder what will be next. With polarisarions i wonder if one country could be much easier to set up against another and if Europe will repeat her history again! Remember the miljons killed in Europe and the tragedies haooened in Europe Some decades ago. I wonder if this is a start for a loss of harmony. We see the Ultra right wing politicians standing against an European Union. They work hard to harm Europe her Unity.
Original post by Jeruzalem
If the European Union will be lost in the Futur. Because it started now with the Brexit but i wonder what will be next. With polarisarions i wonder if one country could be much easier to set up against another and if Europe will repeat her history again! Remember the miljons killed in Europe and the tragedies haooened in Europe Some decades ago. I wonder if this is a start for a loss of harmony. We see the Ultra right wing politicians standing against an European Union. They work hard to harm Europe her Unity.

There won't be another European War in the future due to NATO, unless a group of members left NATO to declare war on one another, but that would be plain stupid.
The so-called 'Ultra Right Wing politicians' is just your exaggeration due to political bias.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending