The Student Room Group

do i stand a chance at UCL law?

i have a 7 in english lang
5 at maths
i also have
777BB4 A* A* including french
i also have 2 A level qualifications in Arabic and turkish. the latter is a self-taught language. none of these where taught at college
im also currently doing french economics and politics at college and im currently achieving As or above. also, english isnt my first lang. would i be able to get in with good a levels and lnat score?
The entry requirements say you'd need a grade 6 in GCSE maths. Usually the gcse requirements aren't flexible, but maybe email the admissions team to see if they'd even consider you before applying.
Tbh I worry about your 5 in maths since it doesnt meet the minimum entry requirements - are you planning on resitting that or do you have any extenuating circumstances that got you a 5?
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
Tbh I worry about your 5 in maths since it doesnt meet the minimum entry requirements - are you planning on resitting that or do you have any extenuating circumstances that got you a 5?

i resat it last year and got a 5 again. i moved to the UK in year 7 and until year 9/10 i had no idea what people were talking about, not even in maths because i didnt speak English. and when i moved up to 2nd to top set in year 11 my teacher was horrible and so bad at maths. so was never taught A grade content. he used to spend half the lesson on starters!!
Original post by Zahraalani
i resat it last year and got a 5 again. i moved to the UK in year 7 and until year 9/10 i had no idea what people were talking about, not even in maths because i didnt speak English. and when i moved up to 2nd to top set in year 11 my teacher was horrible and so bad at maths. so was never taught A grade content. he used to spend half the lesson on starters!!

I see. I would contact the admission team about this and see their opinion on your 5 as well as your other GCSE grades because I assume they were affected by this as well. I honestly think you have a chance with good A levels and a good LNAT but its that 5 that Im unsure about since I dont know they will consider your circumstances so defo contact them about it for better clarification
Reply 5
I see. I would contact the admission team about this and see their opinion on your 5 as well as your other GCSE grades because I assume they were affected by this as well. I honestly think you have a chance with good A levels and a good LNAT but its that 5 that Im unsure about since I dont know they will consider your circumstances so defo contact them about it for better clarification

ok thank you!
Reply 6

hi,sorry to bother you again. do you think i can get away with resitting it for the 3rd time?
hi,sorry to bother you again. do you think i can get away with resitting it for the 3rd time?

It depends on the uni's policy. Research if they do accept resits or not and again contact them about it because their policy is probably vague if they do accept resits
Original post by mbegum2633
You can go to tower hamlets college if you live in London and get in with a grade 5 in maths.

OP can get into a better law school with her application like Uni of Manchester
Original post by mbegum2633
Tower hamlets college is a sixth form college, not a uni. First comes GCSEs then A levels at a sixth form/sixth form college then uni.

Why would they go to a college if they already studying their A levels? :confused: (I'm sorry if I sound rude I'm just confused)
Why would they go to a college if they already studying their A levels? :confused: (I'm sorry if I sound rude I'm just confused)

Oh right sorry, thought they didn’t get in
Reply 11
Manchester sounds good too but I really wanted to live my uni experience at London and ucl seemed to be the most suitable for me. I emailed them so hopefully I’ll get a reply
Manchester sounds good too but I really wanted to live my uni experience at London and ucl seemed to be the most suitable for me. I emailed them so hopefully I’ll get a reply

Good luckkkk :rave:

Ditto this!

OP: their GCSE requirements (I asked them out of curiosity. May or may not have lied and pretended to be someone who didn’t meet the GCSE requirements) are quite rigid. Of course with extenuating circumstances it’s different but the issues are:

1) afaik they don’t say anything about resitting maths or English GCSE. Even if you resit and get the 6, they may still focus on the original 2 sittings.

2) your circumstances seem difficult in terms of learning English so quickly. You need to ask them if this would qualify as an extenuating circumstance, and if it does, ask if they would accept the 5 as is, or if you should still resit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending