The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular football opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Newish.Account
That’s not how it would work. If you capped player salaries the clubs would still charge premium prices because they know people are willing to pay it.

Only thing likely to bring ticket prices down is a general boycott. Blaming the players is just demagoguery.

Eugh - I am allowed to have my opinion. Still think they are paid too much money. I would love to go and see a Premier league football match but am not willing to shell out so much money for a ticket. My son used to teach in Barcelona where many of the pupils were children of football players - he said they used to turn up at school in the most ridiculous cars and ... well the kids were not that bright either
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Eugh - I am allowed to have my opinion. Still think they are paid too much money. I would love to go and see a Premier league football match but am not willing to shell out so much money for a ticket. My son used to teach in Barcelona where many of the pupils were children of football players - he said they used to turn up at school in the most ridiculous cars and ... well the kids were not that bright either

You are allowed to have your opinion, but we are allowed to say why we think your thinking is flawed.

It’s not:

“I think footballers’ wages are too high because they make ticket prices high” (untrue)

You seem to have 2 opinions:

“I think footballers’ wages are too high because it bothers me that they earn that much without going to university”

and

“I hate how high ticket prices are”

You’re well entitled to those opinions, but one does not cause the other.
You are allowed to have your opinion, but we are allowed to say why we think your thinking is flawed.

It’s not:

“I think footballers’ wages are too high because they make ticket prices high” (untrue)

You seem to have 2 opinions:

“I think footballers’ wages are too high because it bothers me that they earn that much without going to university”

and

“I hate how high ticket prices are”

You’re well entitled to those opinions, but one does not cause the other.

Ok then. I would like to pay just 10 pounds to see .... Fulham play - championship. But no I can't because the tickets are more expensive. I am a nurse on a limited income. Not quite sure why you are defending the ridiculous salaries that these players are paid though
Original post by RichPiana
Manchester United is the greatest football club to ever have existed.

I think you did read the thread title then!
Original post by barnetlad
I think you did read the thread title then!

I knew this would be an unpopular opinion :lol:
Original post by Mess.
I never said he wasn’t a very good player :rolleyes: My issue is that people treat him as though he was a generational talent on a par with Zidane etc.

If he was as good throughout his career as he was retconned to be at 36, then he wouldn’t have been the player than was shunted around the England team for Lampard, Gerrard and anyone else that played CM before him during that period.

Ferguson tried to replace him with Veron and he was meant to be an attacking midfielder that only hit double figures twice in the league throughout his career, despite playing in the single dominant team over that period.

Again, the comment isn’t that he wasn’t a good player, it’s that he wasn’t a generational player. To be honest, he wasn’t even the best centre mid at the club.

Ferguson also spent basically the 2000’s trying to play without centre midfielders, he just lashed a load of jobbers in there and relied upon having an amazing defence and attack, which worked incredibly well it should be said.

Tbe, the decision to leave Scholes out the England line up was a stupid decision as schole was better than both Lampard and Gerrard who played the same position and we didn't need both at the same time.
You were already comfortably top of the league when he came back, Van Persie won the golden boot and Rooney had double-digit goals and assists, so let’s dial back this “single-handedly won the league” stuff.

We looked rocky all season and we had no CM or even midfield at all when he came back. Plus he scored against city. I stand by what I said.
Reply 67
Football is just a bunch of young sweaty men kicking a ball around a field.
Reply 68
The thread title is post controversial opinions. If the players were paid less money, then ticket prices would be less and your average Joe in the street could afford to go

Just because it’s controversial doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed :lolwut:

As the other poster said, paying the players less doesn’t bring costs down. It’s based on supply and demand, so reducing player costs just increases income to the richest people at the club, the owners.
Ok then. I would like to pay just 10 pounds to see .... Fulham play - championship. But no I can't because the tickets are more expensive. I am a nurse on a limited income. Not quite sure why you are defending the ridiculous salaries that these players are paid though

Because footballers are always an easy target for the “why are footballers paid so much more than nurses/soldiers etc” comments. As though we lived in a society where people in the private sector are paid according to their societal good, as opposed to market forces.

I think footballer salaries inspire particular ire in a way which hedge fund managers or actors do not, because most of them are from working-class roots and people are angry to see people they view as beneath them become so wealthy.
Reply 70
Original post by Deggs_14
Football is just a bunch of young sweaty men kicking a ball around a field.

That’s not an unpopular opinion, that’s a fact-ish, as women play football also :dontknow:
Reply 71
Original post by Guru Jason
Tbe, the decision to leave Scholes out the England line up was a stupid decision as schole was better than both Lampard and Gerrard who played the same position and we didn't need both at the same time.

:rofl: as if Scholes was close to either of them. He played the same position and had a 1 in 5 scoring record.

Lampard was 1 in 3 and Gerrard was 1 in 4, despite playing deeper for longer and playing in a categorically worse team.

Scholes was never rated in world football even close to either of them:

FIFA World XI Nominations
Gerrard 8
Lampard 8
Scholes 2

FIFA World XI Appearances
Gerrard 3
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

UEFA Team of the Year Appearances
Gerrard 3
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

UEFA Player of the year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Highest Ballon D’or Finish
Lampard 2nd one time
Gerrard 3rd one time
Scholes nowhere near top 3

Premier League Team of the Year Appearances
Gerrard 8
Lampard 5
Scholes 2

Premier League Player of the Month Awards
Gerrard 6
Lampard 4
Scholes 4

Premier League Young Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Journalists’ and Writers’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

Players’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Fans’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 2
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

England National Team Player of the Year
Gerrard 2
Lampard 2
Scholes 0

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

FA Cup Final Man of the Match
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

Considering Scholes was the saviour of United according to you when he returned, he was dropped for the CL final against Barca.

Again, he was a good footballer but was not at the world class level and nobody thought he was until the retcon years.
Reply 72
Because footballers are always an easy target for the “why are footballers paid so much more than nurses/soldiers etc” comments. As though we lived in a society where people in the private sector are paid according to their societal good, as opposed to market forces.

I think footballer salaries inspire particular ire in a way which hedge fund managers or actors do not, because most of them are from working-class roots and people are angry to see people they view as beneath them become so wealthy.

People don’t like when poor people become wealthy as they aren’t staying in their place.
Reply 73

Nobody has said you aren’t allowed to have an opinion :rolleyes: An opinion isn’t a commandment from god, it can be discussed and it can also be wrong.

So you have a problem with generally poor people having a skill, being rewarded for the skill and then making sure their children have the best?
Original post by Guru Jason
We looked rocky all season and we had no CM or even midfield at all when he came back. Plus he scored against city. I stand by what I said.

Think you must be misremembering. He didn’t score against City in the league, and you lost that return fixture against City in the league anyway.

So rocky you won the league at a canter. I’m not going to change your mind but giving so little credit to Rooney and Van Persie, and crediting it all to a guy who came in when you were already top, is baffling to me.
Original post by Mess.
:rofl: as if Scholes was close to either of them. He played the same position and had a 1 in 5 scoring record.

Lampard was 1 in 3 and Gerrard was 1 in 4, despite playing deeper for longer and playing in a categorically worse team.

Scholes was never rated in world football even close to either of them:

FIFA World XI Nominations
Gerrard 8
Lampard 8
Scholes 2

FIFA World XI Appearances
Gerrard 3
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

UEFA Team of the Year Appearances
Gerrard 3
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

UEFA Player of the year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Highest Ballon D’or Finish
Lampard 2nd one time
Gerrard 3rd one time
Scholes nowhere near top 3

Premier League Team of the Year Appearances
Gerrard 8
Lampard 5
Scholes 2

Premier League Player of the Month Awards
Gerrard 6
Lampard 4
Scholes 4

Premier League Young Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Journalists’ and Writers’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

Players’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 1
Lampard 0
Scholes 0

Fans’ Premier League Player of the Year
Gerrard 2
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

England National Team Player of the Year
Gerrard 2
Lampard 2
Scholes 0

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

FA Cup Final Man of the Match
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match
Gerrard 1
Lampard 1
Scholes 0

Considering Scholes was the saviour of United according to you when he returned, he was dropped for the CL final against Barca.

Again, he was a good footballer but was not at the world class level and nobody thought he was until the retcon years.

That's because of the bias against him. He was a quiet I individual. If he had played instead of Gerrard or Lampard then dont doubt England would have done alot better in their internationals.
Think you must be misremembering. He didn’t score against City in the league, and you lost that return fixture against City in the league anyway.

So rocky you won the league at a canter. I’m not going to change your mind but giving so little credit to Rooney and Van Persie, and crediting it all to a guy who came in when you were already top, is baffling to me.

I must be misremembering. I swear it was I the league I'm most likely wrong. RvP played some sexy football for United that season. I was living in Germany when he scored the 93rd min free kick winner against city.
I don’t know whether this is viable, but: why not make football a government-owned company? That would allow for everyone to control the ticket prices and to cap salaries. Whilst footballers get paid thousands for kicking a ball around (which I know is important, but still), children (estimated 6.2 million in 2018) die all around the world, mainly due to preventable causes. If instead of letting all that money pool in the football industry we channeled it into helping those in need, the world would be a much better place, IMO.
Reply 78
I am going to do a Liverpool in my end of year exams.
This term, from the current league table, is defined by me as "being far ahead of others, just like the 2019/20 Liverpool team". I would like to top the class in most subjects, and secure the highest average mark in the class by at least 0.5 points out of 5.
Football fans are the worst, no matter what team.

Quick Reply

Latest