The Student Room Group

autumn exams - confused pls help

If I re-take exams in autumn, will I still be able to attend uni or do I have to re-apply for Sep 2021?
In nearly all universities you will have to apply for Sept 2021 entry. The exams wont be until October/November by which time most universities will be on the verge of completing semester 1. A few universities have courses beginning in Jan but they will be few and far between,
Do they think they will uphold our offers or will we need to reapply? I have asked but they haven't given me an answer regarding this and just redirect me to their Coronavirus FAQs.
Original post by etienne26
Do they think they will uphold our offers or will we need to reapply? I have asked but they haven't given me an answer regarding this and just redirect me to their Coronavirus FAQs.

That is up to individual unis and even they probably don't know at this stage whether they will be able to uphold the offers of all the people who ask them to defer their places to 2021, subject to them achieving the right grades in the Autumn exams.

UCAS have asked them to try to be as flexible as possible towards students but we have never had a situation like this before so it's difficult for everyone to know how it will all work. If your uni say they won't keep your place open for you for 2021, you will have to reapply and will probably get another conditional offer based on you achieving certain grades in the Autumn exams.
Original post by etienne26

This is down to the individual uni, unfortunately- it's annoying they haven't given you a straight answer.

If you do decide to retake, I would potentially contact them once you know this year's results and ask, as they may be more willing to offer you a deferred place in a known situation, rather than as a hypothetical.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
In nearly all universities you will have to apply for Sept 2021 entry. The exams wont be until October/November by which time most universities will be on the verge of completing semester 1. A few universities have courses beginning in Jan but they will be few and far between,

Then what is the point of autumn exams existing? Students might as well sit the summer exams instead as they will have more time to revise.
Original post by AdenGermany
Then what is the point of autumn exams existing? Students might as well sit the summer exams instead as they will have more time to revise.

I see where you're coming from with this, but the autumn exams aren't being counted as normal resits, and for some people it will be at lot easier to get retakes out of the way in the autumn, rather than having to wait until next summer.

If you get your results in December, unis can make a decision on you post results, which may give you an advantage.
Original post by AdenGermany

That is my opinion but it was a political decision to try and appease students concerned that the teacher assessments would be unfair. It was obvious from the start that any exams were never going to be taken and marked in time for admission this year but the universities minister kept saying universities had agreed to be flexible. I suspect the flexibility will be by accepting students in with lower grades. This has been happening for several years and will happen perhaps more so this year.

Most students other than those for things like Medicine and the top few universities will probably get in with reduced grades and I suspect the numbers taking these exams will end up being low.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
That is my opinion but it was a political decision to try and appease students concerned that the teacher assessments would be unfair. It was obvious from the start that any exams were never going to be taken and marked in time for admission this year but the universities minister kept saying universities had agreed to be flexible. I suspect the flexibility will be by accepting students in with lower grades. This has been happening for several years and will happen perhaps more so this year.

Most students other than those for things like Medicine and the top few universities will probably get in with reduced grades and I suspect the numbers taking these exams will end up being low.

That makes so much sense. I wish they could be honest instead of lying all the time and giving false hope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending