The Student Room Group

Is Higher physics necessary for medicine?

Hi there! I'm about to go into S5 and am doing Higher Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Accounting.

This year I did Higher Music and Nat 5 Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology, Accounting, History and Physics. I'm predicted all A's as that's what I got in the prelims, but I really struggled with physics and only got an A by the skin of my teeth (the rest were all 85%+) I'm not sure I could get an A at Higher if I did it in S6.

My question is - will this count against me for medicine? I know they say you can either do Higher Maths or Physics, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that people have got in without it.

In S6, provided Highers go well I'm planning on doing Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology, Higher Psychology, and an NQ Musical Theatre Course (which is just for fun)

I'm also currently doing a BSL qualification and a Mental Health Ambassador course. Especially with all the current COVID19 stuff, I'm just really worried about the amount of volunteering I'll be able to do over the next few years.

Thank you!
Original post by gotohellkitty
Hi there! I'm about to go into S5 and am doing Higher Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Accounting.

This year I did Higher Music and Nat 5 Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology, Accounting, History and Physics. I'm predicted all A's as that's what I got in the prelims, but I really struggled with physics and only got an A by the skin of my teeth (the rest were all 85%+) I'm not sure I could get an A at Higher if I did it in S6.

My question is - will this count against me for medicine? I know they say you can either do Higher Maths or Physics, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that people have got in without it.

In S6, provided Highers go well I'm planning on doing Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology, Higher Psychology, and an NQ Musical Theatre Course (which is just for fun)

I'm also currently doing a BSL qualification and a Mental Health Ambassador course. Especially with all the current COVID19 stuff, I'm just really worried about the amount of volunteering I'll be able to do over the next few years.

Thank you!

I’m planning on applying to medicine and have done Nat 5 with all As- Bio, Chem, Maths, English, Computing, Spanish, and Geography (with no physics). If they specify only needing 3 sciences, of course you wouldn’t be marked down or up if you had Physics!!!

For extra info the Highers I took Maths, Chem, Bio, Geo, and English (hoping for all As). For S6 I’m taking AH Bio, Chem, and Maths.

You’re ages away from application for UCAS so not getting volunteering right now in this pandemic is completely understandable. You still have plenty of time to make up for it, The BSL and MHA course seem like great ways to spend you time!

Just shoot a comment if you wanna know anything else! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by chubchubbs
I’m planning on applying to medicine and have done Nat 5 with all As- Bio, Chem, Maths, English, Computing, Spanish, and Geography (with no physics). If they specify only needing 3 sciences, of course you wouldn’t be marked down or up if you had Physics!!!

For extra info the Highers I took Maths, Chem, Bio, Geo, and English (hoping for all As). For S6 I’m taking AH Bio, Chem, and Maths.

You’re ages away from application for UCAS so not getting volunteering right now in this pandemic is completely understandable. You still have plenty of time to make up for it, The BSL and MHA course seem like great ways to spend you time!

Just shoot a comment if you wanna know anything else! :smile:

Thank you so much! That's really put my mind at rest ahahaha
Good luck to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending