The Student Room Group

What to say to a"friend" who constantly belittles you ?

like not even in a jokey way like disrespect disguised as a joke ?

Scroll to see replies

Explain how you feel! Call them out on it and explain that it makes you feel bad and that it’s wrong of them to do it! If they don’t stop, drop them as friends - they aren’t worth your time :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by babyshark
Explain how you feel! Call them out on it and explain that it makes you feel bad and that it’s wrong of them to do it! If they don’t stop, drop them as friends - they aren’t worth your time :smile:

they say im being "r******" and that its just a " joke " even if its about mental health stuff
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
they say im being "reatarded " and that its just a " joke " even if its about mental health stuff

That’s horrible, I’m so sorry that’s happening. Honestly just tell them that it’s wrong and it upsets you and see what they say. If they don’t stop, I would just stop being friends with them because at the end of the day, if they’re saying things like this I wouldn’t call them friends :smile:
Reply 4
That she’s now your ex as she’s toxic and you’re breaking up with her.
(edited 3 years ago)
cut them off
Maybe try telling them how you feel first, perhaps they think they’re doing it in a playful way. Buttt if that doesn’t change anything they’re not really worth your friendship.
tell them to go fry asparagus, indefinitely
Tell them to stay away from you!!
Are you a girl?Girls do sht like that I should know I am a girl.She is being apssive aggresive,call it out and roast her be like "Who needs enemies when they have so called friends like you?"Call her a btch and expose her,trust me or after u talk o her she l keep calling u out on sht u didnt do

Tell them you dont like it and ask them to stop. If they dont just get rid.
If all else fails, give them a taste of their own medicine.
how ???
how ???

:facepalm: With remarks which belittle them, obvs.

Tbh, just ditch them. Don't need any negativity in your life.
When u sense that the person is gonna say something rude to you or just after they do, give them strong eye contact whilst they're talking as it may make them back down
if that don't work, call them out on it and ask them why they're being so rude
but either way u have to stop hanging out with them cos they're gonna end up making your life miserable
Reply 15
they say im being "r****** " and that its just a " joke " even if its about mental health stuff

But, think about it, the issue is you! Why? because you put up with the nonsense and abusive remarks! Suppose you told this person to mind their manners because you don't appreciate the disrespect and that it will have to stop immediately! After that, only 2 other things can happen: the person carries on being abusuve and then you start ignoring and dump the person, or they start behaving with respect like a proper friend. But it's about what you allow the person to get away with! Simple.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Well I for one would say "Bye".
Original post by mgi
But, think about it, the issue is you! Why? because you put up with the nonsense and abusive remarks! Suppose you told this person to mind their manners because you don't appreciate the disrespect and that it will have to stop immediately! After that, only 2 other things can happen: the person carries on being abusuve and then you start ignoring and dump the person, or they start behaving with respect like a proper friend. But it's about what you allow the person to get away with! Simple.

I see what you’re saying but the issue is not the OP. You cannot blame the OP for their friends horrible actions.

Yes, the OP needs to stand up to said friends but the fact they are horrible people is not the OPs fault.

I get what you’re saying but maybe word it a little better :smile:

Have you been friends with them for a while? If I was in your position I’d begin to distance myself from them. If they’re disrespecting you and just being mean they aren’t very good friends. But, if you’ve been friends with them for years, explain how you feel and how they wouldn’t appreciate the comments if you made them about them.
That’s not a friend. They don’t deserve to even talk to you at this point. Let them go and don’t go back to them. Friends are supposed to support each other, not belittle them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending