The Student Room Group

What is the easiest Russel group to get into for law?

I'm doing a btec and I'm hoping to go to a Russel group for law. Which has the lowest entry requirements? I'm also very much willing to hear about other unis for law that are good and accept around DDM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is that D for distinction, or D as in grade D? And M is Merit? If it's grade D, obviously you're going to be nowhere near the RG, distinction, probably be Ok for most except Oxbridge?
the one which you meet the entry requirements for
Reply 3
I've heard exeter is quite easy to get into
Original post by DrD_1598
Is that D for distinction, or D as in grade D? And M is Merit? If it's grade D, obviously you're going to be nowhere near the RG, distinction, probably be Ok for most except Oxbridge?

OP mentioned they are doing BTECs so D is for Distinction.
Original post by Bigman02
I'm doing a btec and I'm hoping to go to a Russel group for law. Which has the lowest entry requirements? I'm also very much willing to hear about other unis for law that are good and accept around DDM

The University of Law?

Perhaps you should learn to spell it then? :smile:
Reply 7

D for distinction and M for merit
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
Perhaps you should learn to spell it then? :smile:

Nah im good mate
Nah im good mate

Many Russell Groups tend to drop grades in clearing. The big issue is whether they will accept the M in BTEC as it is classed the equivalent of a C at .A level. Here are some details from last year of the grades being accepted for Law.

Unis in Clearing for Law 2019:

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Based on just grades, Cardiff and Exeter. There's also University of Law and Northumbria that are decent, in my opinion
Reply 11

I'm not being funny but you can litro research exactly this in five minutes mate.

You know what the Russell Group is; you know what you want to study... look up the grade requirements for BTEC? It's there on the websites.

Law is a research-intensive degree, which will require a lot of reference to case law/ use of databases etc and you can't even be bothered to do 20 mins of research for the course? mmmkay.

Obviously not A-Levels. What A-Level has a M grade?

(It's a BTEC)
Original post by Tinders
I hear that if you can get an offer out of QMUL, they don't really care what you get on results day. Despite their A-level typical offer being A*AA, I've heard of people getting in with ABD.

In what year?
Original post by Tinders
2019 entry.

QMUL were still requiring AAA in Clearing 2019 and people were reporting getting that offer on TSR.

If you are now saying that ABD was a "highly atypical anecdote" it is not helpful to other students to present it as a common occurance as in " I've heard of people getting in with ABD".
Original post by Tinders
That wasn't through clearing. It was his firm choice. Also if you look at the complete university guide they have one of the lowest entry standards of all the Russel groups, yet advertise some of the highest typical offers. So whilst it might not be the norm, it isn't for any uni, it happens there a lot more than other Russel groups. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

In 2018 though there’s a document on tsr and I swear the lowest is AAB
Original post by Euphoria101
In 2018 though there’s a document on tsr and I swear the lowest is AAB

Yup post 11 linked to the relevant document (although the data is from 2018 I believe)
@harrysbar @Euphoria101

I'm such an idiot omg, they had AABD, not ABD, so basically ignore everything I've just said, omg I'm such idiot, so sorry.
Original post by Tinders
@harrysbar @Euphoria101

I'm such an idiot omg, they had AABD, not ABD, so basically ignore everything I've just said, omg I'm such idiot, so sorry.

It’s fine :smile:
Original post by swanseajack1
Many Russell Groups tend to drop grades in clearing. The big issue is whether they will accept the M in BTEC as it is classed the equivalent of a C at .A level. Here are some details from last year of the grades being accepted for Law.

Unis in Clearing for Law 2019:

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points

Does that mean if Liverpool offered me AAA and I only got BBB at a level they’d let me in?
Original post by Peter76530
Does that mean if Liverpool offered me AAA and I only got BBB at a level they’d let me in?

it doesn't mean that
it means that some people may be given a place with BBB on Clearing Day, though this is down to the uni's discretion
doesn't say anything about those who applied in September

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending