The Student Room Group

Law School

Hey I’m from Toronto, Canada and I recently applied to 5 law schools in the UK.
University of Birmingham
University of Leeds
University of Kent
City, University of London
University of Southhampton

I wanted to know a bit more about each school so I can choose which school is best suited for me. I’m looking in terms of reputation, schooling, city (i’m from toronto so something similar to that would be ideal), night life, multiculturalism and more. It would be great if you can tell me a bit more about these schools and what your opinion on them is. I’m doing the 3 year LLB program if that helps. Thanks
Original post by januu22
Hey I’m from Toronto, Canada and I recently applied to 5 law schools in the UK.
University of Birmingham
University of Leeds
University of Kent
City, University of London
University of Southhampton

I wanted to know a bit more about each school so I can choose which school is best suited for me. I’m looking in terms of reputation, schooling, city (i’m from toronto so something similar to that would be ideal), night life, multiculturalism and more. It would be great if you can tell me a bit more about these schools and what your opinion on them is. I’m doing the 3 year LLB program if that helps. Thanks

Hello there. I go to Leeds, so I can tell you about my university's School of Law. Hopefully others will be able to help you with the other four!

Reputation: Have a look at the league tables (each has different methodologies) but we're usually in the top 15 in the UK for Law.
Schooling: What sort of information are you looking for here? Class sizes? Teaching methods?
City: It's a fairly vibrant city, with a massive student population and city centre that has plenty of shops, bars, restaurants, etc.
Nightlife: It's known to be good, and there are a number of clubs and bars around.
Multiculturalism: We have a lot of international students, and there's always a Canadian cohort in the School of Law.
Reply 2
Original post by CatusStarbright
Hello there. I go to Leeds, so I can tell you about my university's School of Law. Hopefully others will be able to help you with the other four!

Reputation: Have a look at the league tables (each has different methodologies) but we're usually in the top 15 in the UK for Law.
Schooling: What sort of information are you looking for here? Class sizes? Teaching methods?
City: It's a fairly vibrant city, with a massive student population and city centre that has plenty of shops, bars, restaurants, etc.
Nightlife: It's known to be good, and there are a number of clubs and bars around.
Multiculturalism: We have a lot of international students, and there's always a Canadian cohort in the School of Law.

Hey thanks for letting me know about your experience. For schooling just in terms of the professors, class sizes, how big the university is (I want to know how far of a walk would take typically to go to my other classes) and the teaching methods. For the city life do you know if its similar to Toronto? I heard that Kent is a smaller city so there isn’t much to do. Is Leeds more on the larger side? Thanks.
Reply 3
hi! i have not studied at any of those unis you mentioned above but i am Canadian and i moved here from Toronto. if you're looking for 'Toronto' in the UK you're not going to find it, although London might be the closest (but way way better and different imo, you really can't compare. do not underestimate the cost of living in London tho. if cost is mildly an issue then choose elsewhere and keep London as long-term goals). how would you describe 'city life' in Toronto? you might get better answers if you tell TSR your expectations.

personally wouldn't judge a city based on its size to determine good city life. everything in the UK is compact, as opposed to Toronto which is massively spread out and takes a year and a half to walk from Ossington to Bloor-Younge (that wouldn't happen in the UK; there's no room). you'll probably have just as good 'city life' in a smaller city as you would Toronto cuz here you can walk everywhere and there's still masses of people. jmho
Original post by januu22
Hey thanks for letting me know about your experience. For schooling just in terms of the professors, class sizes, how big the university is (I want to know how far of a walk would take typically to go to my other classes) and the teaching methods. For the city life do you know if its similar to Toronto? I heard that Kent is a smaller city so there isn’t much to do. Is Leeds more on the larger side? Thanks.

I find the teaching staff all very friendly and willing to help. As policy, they also all run support hours where you can just drop in and ask things without an appointment, which can be really useful. In terms of class sizes, lectures are for everyone if they are core modules (about 250) and up to about 80 for optional modules (though some are much smaller), workshops are between 15 and 30 students, and seminars are about 8-15 students. The university campus takes about 10-12 minutes to cross from the furthest points, which can be a challenge if you have to do this between lectures, but this is rare.

I know nothing about Toronto I'm afraid, and Kent is actually not a city but a county.... The main campus of the University of Kent is however situated just north of Canterbury, which is a very small city, but one of massive cultural and historical significance and a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending