The Student Room Group

UK: Ran a red light in front of an ambulance (no, I wasn't giving way)

To make it brief; Am I screwed? (£100 fine and 3 points on license)

I ran a few rounds around the road and can confirm that there weren't any red-light cameras. So the only worry is the ambulance passing my information and evidence of my mistake to the cops.

In my defense, I didn't expect to see a traffic light only a few yards after another traffic light while I was going downhill. Furthermore, a few seconds before I realised I was in the wrong lane and since the roads ahead were clear I wanted to overtake quickly and in my complacency/hastiness went past the traffic light while I was eyeing the car I was going to overtake in the next second.

I've ran red lights before at night but never in front of emergency services. Ambulances aren't police cars, but the worry exists that they have some fort of traffic enforcement powers.

If you got experience or have witnessed anything like my situation, then let me know.

Scroll to see replies

An ambulance is just like another member of public when it comes to traffic offences etc, if someone catches you on dash cam then they'll probably put you on youtube or report you if they're that bothered but i can assure you ambulances have more/better things to be doing than sit reporting people and i'm pretty sure their dash cams only start recording when 999 mode is activated but i'm not 100% sure but i highly doubt they've reported you lmao. I would be more careful as you never know who's around or who's behind with dashcams etc, unless you dangerously drive in front of ambulances aka be one of these mongs who block them in when they respond or do something really dangerous in front of them then they don't care tbh, just be more careful and stop running red lights even at night as there is even some cams on traffic lights now to watch for people who jump lights i'm pretty sure too.

If you've 100% confirmed the cams on the lights aren't watching for that then i would say you're 99.9% fine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nick6501
An ambulance is just like another member of public when it comes to traffic offences etc, if someone catches you on dash cam then they'll probably put you on youtube or report you if they're that bothered but i can assure you ambulances have more/better things to be doing than sit reporting people and i'm pretty sure their dash cams only start recording when 999 mode is activated but i'm not 100% sure but i highly doubt they've reported you lmao. I would be more careful as you never know who's around or who's behind with dashcams etc, unless you dangerously drive in front of ambulances aka be one of these mongs who block them in when they respond or do something really dangerous in front of them then they don't care tbh, just be more careful and stop running red lights even at night as there is even some cams on traffic lights now to watch for people who jump lights i'm pretty sure too.

If you've 100% confirmed the cams on the lights aren't watching for that then i would say you're 99.9% fine.

Thanks, it's a relief to hear this.

I'll need to wait out the next 14 days to doubly confirm I'm in the clear. But judging by your reply I'll be fine.
Ambulances have way better things to be doing that filling in thankless forms.

Hypothetically, if you ask ambulances and fire engines to start enforcing the law, public co operation with them would plummet.
Reply 4
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Thanks, it's a relief to hear this.

I'll need to wait out the next 14 days to doubly confirm I'm in the clear. But judging by your reply I'll be fine.

Maybe try to stop running red lights? At night, its hard to see other road users.
Probably more important than whether or not you get a slap on the wrists this time.
Reply 5

I ran a few rounds around the road and can confirm that there weren't any red-light cameras. So the only worry is the ambulance passing my information and evidence of my mistake to the cops.

In my defense, I didn't expect to see a traffic light only a few yards after another traffic light while I was going downhill. Furthermore, a few seconds before I realised I was in the wrong lane and since the roads ahead were clear I wanted to overtake quickly and in my complacency/hastiness went past the traffic light while I was eyeing the car I was going to overtake in the next second.

I've ran red lights before at night but never in front of emergency services. Ambulances aren't police cars, but the worry exists that they have some fort of traffic enforcement powers.

If you got experience or have witnessed anything like my situation, then let me know.

No sympathy. You could have killed someone.
I've ran red lights before at night but never in front of emergency services.

Oh ok that's fine then.
How about you stop running red lights - regardless of who's behind you?
For goodness sake. We have lights - and other road rules - for a reason. You could kill someone. You could end someone's life, just because you can't be bothered to wait 2 mins max for the light to change again.
Honestly, if I had any more details about who you were, I'd be reporting you. So be thankful that I don't.

Something to be proud of is it? :eyeball:
when I see opportunities I take them, especially at night. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nope looks like everyone has judged you exactly right!
Follow the rules or get off the road!
Original post by GabiAbi84
Nope looks like everyone has judged you exactly right!
Follow the rules or get off the road!

Sorry mate, in a town rampant with drug dealers and bike thieves this sh*t driver is gona continue his patrols 👍
I appreciate the help and advice everyone, wish you all a good day :smile:
Wow, although I expected to receive some backlash for my actions it seems some of you have misjudged me.

This time was a mistake. I know my reasoning for running red lights won't get through to those strictly law abiding ones among us, but when I see opportunities I take them, especially at night. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don’t think anyone has misjudged you.
I have no sympathy. If it was the only time you had run a red light, I would suggest being humble in court and asking for leniency. However, I would prefer that someone such as yourself was banned from driving. Someone ran a red light at one of the crossings in my local high street and was within a few inches of hitting someone.

The drug dealer issue is no defence.

Yes it can happen. I’ve heard of someone who ran a red light in front of a fire engine and got an NIP for that, since the fire engine must have reported them. They probably have a dash cam that’s always on. I hope you get a fine and 3 points.
Reply 15
Stop breaking traffic rules and you won't have to worry about getting caught you know.... breaking them?

FYI, no an ambulance obviously doesn't have traffic enforcement powers.

You'll soon ask if the man in the Tesco van issues tickets for parking in the parent & child space.
Reply 16
Wow, although I expected to receive some backlash for my actions it seems some of you have misjudged me.

This time was a mistake. I know my reasoning for running red lights won't get through to those strictly law abiding ones among us, but when I see opportunities I take them, especially at night. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Absolutely disgusting attitude. Get off the roads.
Original post by RedGiant
Yes it can happen. I’ve heard of someone who ran a red light in front of a fire engine and got an NIP for that, since the fire engine must have reported them. They probably have a dash cam that’s always on. I hope you get a fine and 3 points.

That was pretty insightful, I appreciate you sharing that story with me. And vice versa I hope I don't get the NIP 😂

Sorry, but you are a dangerous driver. You could have killed someone.

Would you "expect to see" a young child run out into the road? Would that make killing them any less distressing?

Probably not, but you fully deserve more than 3 points.

Please learn and slow down. Not seeing a red light should be a major wake-up call. You don't appear to be taking it seriously - please do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Sorry, but you are a dangerous driver. You could have killed someone.

Would you "expect to see" a young child run out into the road? Would that make killing them any less distressing?

Probably not, but you fully deserve more than 3 points.

Please learn and slow down. Not seeign a red light should be a major wake-up call. You don't appear to be taking it seriously - please do.

Sorry Roger although I understand where you are coming from but it was 10pm the roads and sidewalks were both clear. I realised 1 second before passing the red light so given the circumstances and the fact that the roads were clear I felt it safer to continue on down the road then emergency brake for no reason.

I agree what happened was dangerous but nothing came of it. And out of the options I had I opted for the best suited one. The only problem was I had the misery of an ambulance witnessing my entire blunder.

Yes it was a wake up call, especially at that late hour. Lesson learnt keep my eyes peeled 😂

Latest

Trending

Trending