The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Enrolled for 120 credits but want to take MU123

Hi!

I am enrolled for 120 credits of psychology year 1, but I would like to take MU123 intro to maths too (30 credits.) This latter would be paid out of my own pocket not via student loan. Will OU allow me to take 150 credits in a year?
You unfortunately cannot take more than 120 credits in a year even if you are funding it yourself.
Are you wanting to do it as an extra or just for fun?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
You unfortunately cannot take more than 120 credits in a year even if you are funding it yourself.
Are you wanting to do it as an extra or just for fun?

Just to improve my maths abilities really and get me up to A-level standard, not to add credits to my degree. So even if it's not attached to the degree I can't take it?
Where do you live?

The amount of credits allowed is capped in some areas.
And even if you’re not in one of those areas the OU generally don’t let you unless there are extenuating circumstances.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
Where do you live?

The amount of credits allowed is capped in some areas.
And even if you’re not in one of those areas the OU generally don’t let you unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Ok so anticipating they won't let me, I've ordered the 4 books from the module Discovering Mathematics MU123 and will just work through them in my own time! Thanks for your help! Seems I'm going to have to be a mathematical autodidact :smile: I live in Wales, if that changes anything?
There are plenty of other online study resources around. I'm a big fan of Coursera.org myself, they have some excellent courses on statistics that you might find helpful in your Psychology studies later on; Edx.org is also very good. There are lots of other sites to look at, too; Sophia.org currently offers a bunch of university-level courses for free, Study.com seems fairly well-liked among distance learners also, then you've got things like udemy, khan academy, futurelearn, etcetc.
Reply 6
Original post by Jonah9000
Just to improve my maths abilities really and get me up to A-level standard, not to add credits to my degree. So even if it's not attached to the degree I can't take it?

MU123 is equivalent to a GCSE grade C. If you want to get close to A-Level standard, you will need to do MST124.

Quick Reply

Latest