The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

MU123 to prep for M05 Astrophysics

Hey yall, im trying to start on a lifelong astropysics dream.

Ive been out of education for about 14 years now and my maths wasnt super strong outside of Hex and computing uses. Has anyone here studied MU123 to refresh their base maths before moving onto the Advanced start of the Physics BSc? I really wanna do the Astronomy module and thats only available in that pathway.

tl;dr: Does MU123 set you up well to move onto MST124 & SM123? Has anyone done this and have good things to report?
Original post by Nymia

Ive been out of education for about 14 years now and my maths wasnt super strong outside of Hex and computing uses. Has anyone here studied MU123 to refresh their base maths before moving onto the Advanced start of the Physics BSc? I really wanna do the Astronomy module and thats only available in that pathway.

tl;dr: Does MU123 set you up well to move onto MST124 & SM123? Has anyone done this and have good things to report?

I definitely recommend studying MU123 before MST124 to build a good foundation of the algebra required. MST124 jumps into calculus which will be a huge shock if you're not ready for it.

I know someone who started MST124 last year, deferred the module because they struggled, did MU123 and came back to resume MST124 feeling more prepared.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Nymia

I just realised I recognise your name from the OU STEM server, good to see you fellow student! :smile:
Reply 3
I took MU123 to bolster myself a bit as I was told it can be used as an equiv to A Level Mathematics. Turns out it's true, it trumped the fact I only had L2 FS Maths. It was rock, hated it, but it was a good foundation and nice to have in my back pocket.
Original post by nairnsy
I took MU123 to bolster myself a bit as I was told it can be used as an equiv to A Level Mathematics. Turns out it's true, it trumped the fact I only had L2 FS Maths. It was rock, hated it, but it was a good foundation and nice to have in my back pocket.

MU123 is GCSE maths. MST124 is A Level.
Original post by Nymia

Hi - I did MST124 last year. I bought the MU123 books on eBay and did them before hand.

MU123 sets you up quite nicely for MST124.

MST124 has a bit of overlap with SM123 for mathematics used.

Quick Reply

Latest