The Student Room Group

What would you guys do in this situation?

Hi guys so basically since around mid March when we went into lockdown because of Coronavirus student accommodations said if you move out you won’t pay any further rent. So this is what my housemates girlfriend did and decided to live with us so now we were a house of 6. At first I was very sceptical of this thinking she will get away with not contributing. At first I kept quite because it would cause drama, but 5 months down the line hasn’t contributed to rent at all or anything which others didn’t like and I regret not making my views heard earlier, but basically what you guys have done. Is it right for someone staying that length of tune to contribute, bear in mind she had money from her loan and would pay less than her older accommodation plus furlough money from work. Anon for obvious reasons.
Reply 1
She should really be paying something I feel...
Has she moved in officially?

If she's going to be there she should have a contract in place. A quick call to the landlord could solve this.
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Has she moved in officially?

If she's going to be there she should have a contract in place. A quick call to the landlord could solve this.

Well, we should have split it 6 ways soon as it happened but other housemates are peacekeepers and it would have complicated things at first.
Reply 4
you should bring it up now, say you weren't expecting it to be so long and you're okay with how long she's been there but all the housemates have discussed it and think that she should contribute
Reply 5
Original post by libbyab
you should bring it up now, say you weren't expecting it to be so long and you're okay with how long she's been there but all the housemates have discussed it and think that she should contribute

Yeah the thing is she’s only recently been made redundant. I feel stupid holding back earlier and now we’ve all been taken advantage of.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah the thing is she’s only recently been made redundant. I feel stupid holding back earlier and now we’ve all been taken advantage of.

ahh, maybe talk to your housemate (her boyfriend) about it first? im sure if you let him know how you feel he'll be able to understand
Suck it up and forget it. Making a point of it this late on will just make you look like an ass****. She hasn't cost you anything, let it pass.
Reply 8
Original post by libbyab
ahh, maybe talk to your housemate (her boyfriend) about it first? im sure if you let him know how you feel he'll be able to understand

I did recently and apparently she offered to go half in with him, but that would be for his own so he’d end up paying less himself... Frankly, we have been had
Reply 9
No, I wanted to say something but didn’t because of fear of backlash. Wish I did though.
They do, obvs apart from boyfriend so we are waiting until she comes back.
If I was in your situation, I would not let that slide.
If we all live under the same roof everyone else is chipping in for rent then that person is going have to do the same.
She’s probably a nice girl, but that’s not right.
Have a conversation with her and if she does not listen, have a house meeting and put her on blast.
Well, we should have split it 6 ways soon as it happened but other housemates are peacekeepers and it would have complicated things at first.

You've not answered my question. Is she there officially? If not, you're breaking your tenancy agreement.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You've not answered my question. Is she there officially? If not, you're breaking your tenancy agreement.

No, not official
Reply 14
she's paying rent; she's just paying it to her boyfriend so he can put it in his pocket. there's no way a young guy is going to let his girlfriend stay there for 5 months while he pays for her accommodation.

you can't ask for rent for the last 5 months (or you could but you're not going to get it), but you can going forward. ask your flatmate how long she's planning to stay and just say it's not fair you have to share your space, water, utilities, with someone who's not contributing to paying the bill.
Original post by Joleee
she's paying rent; she's just paying it to her boyfriend so he can put it in his pocket. there's no way a young guy is going to let his girlfriend stay there for 5 months while he pays for her accommodation.

you can't ask for rent for the last 5 months (or you could but you're not going to get it), but you can going forward. ask your flatmate how long she's planning to stay and just say it's not fair you have to share your space, water, utilities, with someone who's not contributing to paying the bill.

Yes we will do going forward, thanks
No, not official

She needs to be on the tenancy agreement, officially, through your landlord. This kind of thing could affect your insurance, and could even get you thrown out if s/he (the landlord) finds out you've been accepting money towards the rent as that's subletting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending