The Student Room Group

If a girl is already dating a guy does that mean she doesn't want to date you?

So like if a girl is dating a guy and you have met and known her for a few weeks or months and she is still dating him without you asking her out does that mean she prefers being with him rather than you?

Thinking on this that if she liked you enough she would either ditch him especially if they were having troubles and see if you would ask them out or ask you out or possibly try and spend more time with you/get to know you better. Would a girl just continue seeing some guy even if she liked you more and thought you may be interested & was interested in you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wellll duuuhhhhhh. If she is dating him then it means that she's attracted to him and likes him. I am guessing that you're probably friendzoned and you are orbiting her. If that's not where you want to be then you're free to also ditch her and look for another girl who's not actively dating someone else because by the time you wait she's gonna be in a long-term relationship with the guy. And then what will you do? You'll have to leave her and go for some other gurl anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Wellll duuuhhhhhh. If she is dating him then it means that she's attracted to him and likes him. I am guessing that you're probably friendzoned and you are orbiting her. If that's not where you want to be then you're free to also ditch her and look for another girl who's not actively dating someone else because by the time you wait she's gonna be in a long-term relationship with the guy. And then what will you do? You'll have to leave her and go for some other gurl anyway.

Yeah that's what I figured, but she sits next to me in class and I get small signs that she may like me, I think she occasionally eyes my up though not frequently. I think she may have silently mouthed 'I love you' but can't be sure maybe it was my mind working overtime. She occasionally talks to me but talks a lot more to these other girls nearby about her relationship. It just always kind of makes me wonder but at the same time I kind of feel blocked by making any sort of a move as she is already dating and in an ongoing relationship. That and I don't want to feel humiliated or end up in an embarrassing awkward situation by bringing it up.
Reply 3
So like if a girl is dating a guy and you have met and known her for a few weeks or months and she is still dating him without you asking her out does that mean she prefers being with him rather than you?

Thinking on this that if she liked you enough she would either ditch him especially if they were having troubles and see if you would ask them out or ask you out or possibly try and spend more time with you/get to know you better. Would a girl just continue seeing some guy even if she liked you more and thought you may be interested & was interested in you?

There's only one way to answer this question - you need to ask her out.

You will never be able to tell what's in someone's mind so don't even try; for all you know she may be going out with this dude purely for practical reasons and not because she particularly likes him (plenty of women do do this)

If you're concerned about embarrassment/humiliation, put out some feelers, get to know her a bit better and read the body language. You'll soon know if you're in with a chance or not. Good luck
I kind of feel blocked by making any sort of a move as she is already dating and in an ongoing relationship.

This is exactly how you are supposed to feel. She's not available, so don't attempt to pursue her. It is disrespectful to knowingly hit on a girl who is already in a relationship. If she didn't want to be with her boyfriend then she wouldn't be dating him.
Reply 5
Original post by ettalemon
There's only one way to answer this question - you need to ask her out.

You will never be able to tell what's in someone's mind so don't even try; for all you know she may be going out with this dude purely for practical reasons and not because she particularly likes him (plenty of women do do this)

If you're concerned about embarrassment/humiliation, put out some feelers, get to know her a bit better and read the body language. You'll soon know if you're in with a chance or not. Good luck

Yeah, there could be this, he has a car and I don't but she lives a way away from college more so than me that makes bus journeys in an ordeal, more so than the usual. Even so she talks about him regularly to the girls in class so possibly she is quite hung up on him and less so on me. That makes getting to know her difficult as she seems to just want to talk about her relationship with him to these other girls so much. That makes me wonder if I really would have any chance. So while getting to know her more and/or asking her out sounds easy in reality it's not that easy. At the moment it's a nice casual situation with no pressure so I don't know if I want to risk spoiling that and possibly making a fool of myself.
Reply 6
Yeah, there could be this, he has a car and I don't but she lives a way away from college more so than me that makes bus journeys in an ordeal, more so than the usual. Even so she talks about him regularly to the girls in class so possibly she is quite hung up on him and less so on me. That makes getting to know her difficult as she seems to just want to talk about her relationship with him to these other girls so much. That makes me wonder if I really would have any chance. So while getting to know her more and/or asking her out sounds easy in reality it's not that easy. At the moment it's a nice casual situation with no pressure so I don't know if I want to risk spoiling that and possibly making a fool of myself.

personally i would say leave her be. if you want you could still be friends with her but if she has and likes her boyfriend, they you probably shouldn't ask her out. if they break up then you could, but at the moment if she's happy with him you should probably try to move on and i think that would be best for you and her though you can still be friends.
The girl in question is obviously not single so asking her out would be inappropriate. All this 'mouthing I love you' etc is just a dangerous fantasy in your head.
Reply 8
Original post by 1582
This is exactly how you are supposed to feel. She's not available, so don't attempt to pursue her. It is disrespectful to knowingly hit on a girl who is already in a relationship. If she didn't want to be with her boyfriend then she wouldn't be dating him.

Yeah, this is kind of what I figured. It's not like I want to be all wimpy or anything but I think what's the point of hitting on a girl who is already in a relationship as surely that is a no go. If it was a convention that it didn't matter then fine but I assume the convention is more that 'she's with the one she wants to be with by continuing on the relationship'. I know in theory a guy could try to make a move in and she dumps the other guy as a result but I'm an average looking guy, I'm no Brad Pitt. In general I would have thought the ball would be more in her court as a result, either her getting to know me better, her asking me out or her dumping the other guy.

I get the impression she likes me a little though possibly not enough or maybe not in that way idk. I kind of really just want to check that what the situation is in these circumstances. I kind of figure the same as you but there's also that thought in the back of my mind wondering if she is thinking it's up to me so kind of a perculiar situation.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
The girl in question is obviously not single so asking her out would be inappropriate. All this 'mouthing I love you' etc is just a dangerous fantasy in your head.

It could be I was sure she kind of did but it could be 50/50 on that one whether she did or me mistaking it. I'm not really so bothered about whether something is appropriate or not but I don't want a majorly awkward embarrassing situation on my hands as she will likely be in my class for quite sone time going forward, another good year or so. Even a casual kind of friends sort of meet up ask out could hit an embarrassing spot so I really just want to make sure I'm not being too passive by not asking out a girl as she is already dating some other guy so not my fault in not doing so.
It could be I was sure she kind of did but it could be 50/50 on that one whether she did or me mistaking it. I'm not really so bothered about whether something is appropriate or not but I don't want a majorly awkward embarrassing situation on my hands as she will likely be in my class for quite sone time going forward, another good year or so. Even a casual kind of friends sort of meet up ask out could hit an embarrassing spot so I really just want to make sure I'm not being too passive by not asking out a girl as she is already dating some other guy so not my fault in not doing so.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mistook it as it sounds pretty unlikely.

She isn't single, she is not available, do not ask her out. It's not like there's doubt, she talks about her guy regularly yea? Asking her out would likely be seen as disrespectful (dismissive of her relationship and choices, which you are kind of already doing)
Yeah, this is kind of what I figured. It's not like I want to be all wimpy or anything but I think what's the point of hitting on a girl who is already in a relationship as surely that is a no go. If it was a convention that it didn't matter then fine but I assume the convention is more that 'she's with the one she wants to be with by continuing on the relationship'. I know in theory a guy could try to make a move in and she dumps the other guy as a result but I'm an average looking guy, I'm no Brad Pitt. In general I would have thought the ball would be more in her court as a result, either her getting to know me better, her asking me out or her dumping the other guy.

I get the impression she likes me a little though possibly not enough or maybe not in that way idk. I kind of really just want to check that what the situation is in these circumstances. I kind of figure the same as you but there's also that thought in the back of my mind wondering if she is thinking it's up to me so kind of a perculiar situation.

She's not waiting for you to make a move. She's taken. Social convention is you respect her decision to be in a relationship with someone else.
She definitely didn’t mouth “I love you”, it just didn’t happen. Also, being in a relationship doesn’t make someone blind so she may still find you attractive but that doesn’t necessarily mean she wants to date you and break up with her boyfriend for you. You just need to accept she’s taken and stop fantasising over all this stuff.
don’t ask her out, she’s taken and it’s incredibly disrespectful to her relationship. she’s not interested.
Reply 14
Original post by StriderHort
I'm going to go ahead and assume you mistook it as it sounds pretty unlikely.

She isn't single, she is not available, do not ask her out. It's not like there's doubt, she talks about her guy regularly yea? Asking her out would likely be seen as disrespectful (dismissive of her relationship and choices, which you are kind of already doing)

Half the time it's talking about how p i s s e d off she is with him, their arguments, etc. The other half the time it's about how good they're getting on. On an alternating basis really so you're never really sure from one day to the next how she really feels about him, how into him. Girl drama stuff I guess probably why she continues the relationship as it's probably all a bit soap opera and avoids it getting boring. Girls can be into gossip type of stuff I think. I don't get involved as I don't know the guy and it's not really my place to. I don't do the comfort blanket stuff for other people's relationship as I'm a dude and it just would feel weird to me. Most of the time I just sit there perplexed by it all wondering why she doesn't dump him and how all of a sudden the next day they are all so great again, lol. Just seems bizarre.

Anyway, I kind of came to the conclusion that I can't really do anything that it's down to her as a result. So you thinking that it's a no go area kind of helps to confirm my thoughts that the ball is not in my court so can relax about it all.
Reply 15
don’t ask her out, she’s taken and it’s incredibly disrespectful to her relationship. she’s not interested.

As a guy I'm not really that bothered about being respectful of her relationship I'm not there to pay homage lol. I'm more bothered about whether she is waiting for me to ask her and me being too passive. As there's now at least two of you that thinks that convention is that it's a no go/it's down to her then that is really a big relief to me as it's a load of my mind. Often the guy is looked upon to make the move but as you thought and I kind of thought it's really down to her on this account where she is already dating. So thank you both, I'm happy to sit this one out :smile:
As a guy I'm not really that bothered about being respectful of her relationship I'm not there to pay homage lol.

If you're not respectful of her relationship then you are not respectful of her or her decisions. Girls don't want to date guys that can't respect them. You should try to fix this mindset before dating anyone.
(edited 10 months ago)
As a guy I'm not really that bothered about being respectful of her relationship I'm not there to pay homage lol. I'm more bothered about whether she is waiting for me to ask her and me being too passive. As there's now at least two of you that thinks that convention is that it's a no go/it's down to her then that is really a big relief to me as it's a load of my mind. Often the guy is looked upon to make the move but as you thought and I kind of thought it's really down to her on this account where she is already dating. So thank you both, I'm happy to sit this one out :smile:

if you were the guy dating her and some other dude asked her out whilst he knew you guys were in a relationship, how would you feel?
Reply 18
Original post by 1582
If you're not respectful of her relationship then you are not respectful of her or her decisions. Girls don't want to date guys that can't respect them. You should try to fix this mindset before dating anyone.

I'm not about to kiss anyone's behind. It's not that I seek to run rough shod over any girl's decisions but here would just be a case of asking, she could easily turn it down and so long as I don't push any more then that is respecting her decision. What I'm saying is she hasn't necessarily made a decision that she would not wish to date me but just a decision to date this other guy at whatever point that was. I'm just asking is she looking to me to give her that option or is she not as in she has already decided. That most on here think that she has already decided, and are probably women themselves is fine by me as I've no wish to make a fool of myself.
Reply 19
if you were the guy dating her and some other dude asked her out whilst he knew you guys were in a relationship, how would you feel?

I certainly can't be so meek as to be worried about some other dude particularly as I don't know him. It's highly competitive out in the dating world and I can't go putting my life and love secondary to some other guys. Other guys would generally do the same if they thought they had a definite shot at it. I mean do I want to end up lonely & miserable or the other guy, given a choice I'm afraid to say I would have to leave the other guy with that one. As it is as has been said it looks like she has made her decision for whatever reason and I am probably in reserve lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending