The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yona_cb
Absolutely not. And anyone who answers 'yes' unironically to this is not a feminist.

Thank you for your answer

Original post by xavana.studies
No. Feminism is simply a movement that promotes general, societal equality between the sexes, and so hating men would be contributing to the problem (and, therefore, 'man-haters' aren't strictly feminist in my view). Although men are generally privileged within our current western society, many men chose to act and behave 'better' than their stereotype, in an attempt to create some sense of equality: men can be feminist too! One of the biggest problems that feminists face is the assumption that we hate men, which isn't true. Feminism doesn't define men as predators or beasts, and it certainly doesn't imply that men are stupid. Feminism doesn't really have anything to do with men as individuals, and not even women. If you believe that the sexes should be paid equally for the same work and that women's expectations shouldn't differ from men's simply due to stereotype, then your views align with feminist ideals. That's all. Many post-modern feminists may believe differently, but all I want (as a feminist) is general equality.

I'm so sorry about the length of this reply, I hope it helps!! :smile:

It has helped and a lot
Thank you so much😆
Original post by Britannia006
Thank you so much.
This is what people should understand.
On the other side people especially men need to be educated on women's struggles.
So that they will understand that they need to be nice toward other people and be nice, respectful and understandable with women.
They should also be tought that they are in no way superior to women

Exactly, I feel like if we all educated each other on the struggles we face people would be more empathetic. That goes for everything whether it's sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, whatever. If we're all more educated we can understand better and make better choices because we now know how our choices harm others in ways we wouldn't normally think. It can impact how we vote politically for someone who stands for equality but also change who we choose to be friends and call them out when they say something hurtful because some of their toxic opinions or sign a petition we normally wouldn't. I'm a white straight girl so I know there are people who have struggled so much more than me for things they can't change about themselves. I guess I have big hopes for our generation and hope we can be more respectful and understanding and get closer to equality.
Original post by sinfonietta
Do you hate men? No
Are they disgusting to you? No
Do you consider them as predators, wild beasts? No
Are men stupid beings for you? No
Would you put men in cages if you had the power to do so ? No

Feminism is about equal rights. It's not about disliking men.

Thank you very much for your insight. It has helped a lot.
I must admit that I really like your profile pic, really.
Greetings.
Feminists please tell me:
Do you hate men?
Are they disgusting to you?
Do you consider them as predators, wild beasts?
Are men stupid beings for you?
Would you put men in cages if you had the power to do so ?

The people who answer yes to these are not feminists. They're just stupid people who are using the label to try and make their anger against men seem justified.
Reply 104
Original post by Anonymous
Lol I'm personally not a feminist as although there are some things like in equal pay etc etc, guys dont have it easy either. If a guy is vulnerable, cries or anything like that hes called gay etc etc, guys cant wear makeup or anything like that as they'll be called gay. Think about it, you never rlly hear stories about guys being raped etc as a girl could never possibly do that, even tho they do. Idk neither genders have it easy and I feel like some ppl dont see that, this is all my view btw I dont wanna offend anybody. I'm a girl btw

Need more peeps like you
Greetings.
Do you hate men?

What kind of questions are these? I guarantee you REAL feminists are far more concerned with making real progress in society like eliminating rape culture and getting equal pay for women than putting men in cages.
Of course! Feminism as a concept (in my view) is not concerned with individual behaviours or attitudes, as an example, if one woman says something misogynistic it doesn't reflect the entirety of the female sex (and vice-versa). Feminism strives toward equality, regardless of the behaviours of a minority of individuals within each sex. The main point of the message is that it isn't the role of a feminist to class men as "beasts", as the movement isn't a judgement of their individual character, rather the belief that they have the right to their own freedom.

Hopefully, this makes more sense, thanks for taking an interest!

Interesting set of answers. Feminism not being grouped by an individual but by the ideals of the movement is something a lot of movements could use these days. This post sounds like it was written by someone who understands movements more than your average person. Worthy of a follow.
Thank you for your answer

It has helped and a lot
Thank you so much😆

Great, I'm glad this helped! Thanks for being open for a chat :smile:
Reply 108
i don’t really know how to respond to this. are you saying men have it harder than women?
Reply 109
& nobody is trying to invalidate men’s struggles. we just want to be seen as your equals. i don’t really know why that’s such a hard concept to grasp. there’s so much **** women go through that men don’t have to consider. but we’re not saying that all men have life so easy. of course men have struggles but being a man isn’t one of those struggles.
Greetings.
Do you hate men?

yeah ❤️
No to all of them. Feminism is about thinking men and woman should be equal so in that respect shouldn’t everyone consider themselves a feminist. There’s no reason not so apart from the associations with a couple crazy people and some who say they’re feminists yet generalise and hate all men even though they want equality.
Reply 112
Original post by Anonymous
Some people use feminism as an excuse to exercise power over men. What we really want is to be able to do the same things that you can, and have the same prospects that you do.

I’m a feminist and see feminism as the striving for equal rights and opportunities for both men and women. I don’t think that women are better than men, nor do I think men are better than women.

It often frustrates me when I see posts that say ‘100 reasons why women are superior to men’, ‘higher intelligence proven’, etc because the root of feminism is the want of equality. Some people just have a twisted view of it and use it as a means to look down on men.

There are stupid females and stupid males. There are educated males and educated females. In the end we are all one.

I agree with you!
Are you female yourself? How old are you?
What's your ambition?
Greetings.
Do you hate men?

Not a feminist, just female.

1) I dislike certain types of men
2) Yes (though not all are disgusting)
3) Not all men, but many
4) No
5) No
Original post by HTK19
Need more peeps like you

Aw thanks I'm glad you agree:smile:
Original post by L',anatra.M
The people who answer yes to these are not feminists. They're just stupid people who are using the label to try and make their anger against men seem justified.

Thanks for your answer
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hope1279
Exactly, I feel like if we all educated each other on the struggles we face people would be more empathetic. That goes for everything whether it's sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, whatever. If we're all more educated we can understand better and make better choices because we now know how our choices harm others in ways we wouldn't normally think. It can impact how we vote politically for someone who stands for equality but also change who we choose to be friends and call them out when they say something hurtful because some of their toxic opinions or sign a petition we normally wouldn't. I'm a white straight girl so I know there are people who have struggled so much more than me for things they can't change about themselves. I guess I have big hopes for our generation and hope we can be more respectful and understanding and get closer to equality.

I really wish there could be more people who would think like.
Earth would be a better place then
Thank you so much
This has been irritating me for a while so I’m going to point out, as many of my fellow users already have, this is an extreme minority. The idea behind the feminist movement is to inspire women to break what was considered their role in a patriarchal society and to be treated equally to men. It does not dismiss the struggles men face, not does it seek to push down the other gender. Equality has ‘equal’ in the word, surely?
Great, I'm glad this helped! Thanks for being open for a chat :smile:

You're welcome😄
Original post by aw03
& nobody is trying to invalidate men’s struggles. we just want to be seen as your equals. i don’t really know why that’s such a hard concept to grasp. there’s so much **** women go through that men don’t have to consider. but we’re not saying that all men have life so easy. of course men have struggles but being a man isn’t one of those struggles.

Thanks for your answer

Latest

Trending

Trending