The Student Room Group

Best alevels for a geography degree?

What would you say are good alevels to take if you’re planning to do a geography degree at university?

(Also, do you think English lit or psychology alevel would be better to take for a geo degree?)
Reply 1
Maths?
you were thinking of taking biology the other day, you still considering it? :smile:
bio and chem
Reply 4
Original post by laurawatt
you were thinking of taking biology the other day, you still considering it? :smile:

Yep, I think I will end up taking biology - now I’m just entering a major crisis about my other subjects 😂😭 I’m way too indecisiveee 🤷😂
Original post by Alicia2019
Yep, I think I will end up taking biology - now I’m just entering a major crisis about my other subjects 😂😭 I’m way too indecisiveee 🤷😂

you could take both psychology and english lit for the first few weeks and make up your mind then?
What would you say are good alevels to take if you’re planning to do a geography degree at university?

(Also, do you think English lit or psychology alevel would be better to take for a geo degree?)

Hi @Alicia2019,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times.

Firstly, you may want to pick the subjects which interest you. I know at GCSE you only get a “flavour” of the subject content. If you are unsure, there are many insightful views across The Student Room on A Level courses to help you make a more informed decision. In my opinion, having an interest in a particular subject may help motivate you when it comes to learning and revising the material.

However, something you may want to consider is that some universities may require an accepted science subject as part of their entry requirements on to a Geography degree course. Therefore, taking A Level Biology with Geography A Level may be something to consider. If you are unsure that you want to take on A Level Biology, as of the 2020 Applications, A Level Geography was an accepted science subject but this may be subject to change in the future.

From my experience, I can talk about A Level Biology and A Level Geography.

In terms of A Level Geography, for some, it may seem straightforward to achieve a broad understanding of the content. However, for others, the challenging part may be remembering the depth and details of case studies and processes. To keep a daily interest in Geography, you may want to consider staying up to date with the news. Quite often, news articles can make relatively good examples which you can include in your exam questions.

A Level Biology for some, may be quite challenging. However, it can be a rewarding science subject to take. If possible, you may want to consider continuing with Biology. In my case, it wasn’t until my second year, when I began to make links between the Biology content—it became easier to understand and revise the material.

If you have any specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield

Hi Alicia, I will soon be doing a Geography degree. I did German, Geography and English Literature. Geography is a defo must, although some unis do not require it. Other than that, another essay subject or two would be good as this strengthens your essay skills - important for a Geography degree. A science A Level is not essential at all, but you can do it. Some universities, such as UCL, offer various Geography degrees such as one that is more quantitative and requires a Maths A Level for the Geography degree. However, Maths A Level is not usually required for a Geography degree.

I would say that both English Lit and Psychology are good essay subjects that will help your Geog degree; I just think English Literature will enable you to hone and improve your writing skills a lot more. Honestly as long as it is a facilitating subject, it does not matter what you take (apart from Geography A Level).

Quick Reply

Latest