The Student Room Group

Rolex, is it worth it?

Title says it all really. I would argue that although the brand has a long history and the watches themselves are widely recognisable the brands offerings (in recent years) have been a bit lacking.... Ie a two tone sea dweller (wow) a new yachtmaster model.... why not release something inspired by the old oyster models (30's/40's)? I don't care about factory set diamonds... like seriously what's the big deal?

Also the watches themselves have gone up in price recently and keep on rising... they're no longer tool watches as such and the vintage models are also going up.

Thoughts? does anyone have a favourite watch brand?

Scroll to see replies

It is? must be this new auto recommend function :/
Rolex are always worth the money.
They are the Rolls Royce of watches.
Original post by Karisa96

See, I'm honestly torn.... on one hand some of the vintage reference numbers are fairly cheap (like the 6694 and other oysterdate models) and they're pretty solidly constructed but i haven't see much innovation recently :/ there are many other microbrands/ other luxury brands with well constructed watches....
Original post by Prefect1992
See, I'm honestly torn.... on one hand some of the vintage reference numbers are fairly cheap (like the 6694 and other oysterdate models) and they're pretty solidly constructed but i haven't see much innovation recently :/ there are many other microbrands/ other luxury brands with well constructed watches....

True, but Rolex, still has the best name.
The 6694 and other vintage models are really well constructed, plus some of the vintage models had really avante garde designs.... look at the concentric dial air kings for example.... modern reference nos look very similar to me...
Never really thought about it, in that context.
No, my phone tells the time.

I agree! :yep:
Original post by 5hyl33n
I agree! :yep:

Thanks Hun, hope you are well? Xc
Thanks Hun, hope you are well? Xc

I'm well thanks for asking. How about yourself? xx
Original post by 5hyl33n
I'm well thanks for asking. How about yourself? xx

I'm good thanks, haven't heard from you for a while. Xx
At this point you buy a Rolex because it's a Rolex, not because it's inherently better than other watches. They've not done anything particularly innovative or with an edge in design or build quality for quite a while, but they do write the word "Rolex" on it. Unless you want it for the collectibility or resale potential, or have your eye on a particular classic piece, they would not be my choice if someone handed me a wad of cash for a luxury watch.
I'd never see it as worth it, it's a high end luxury item, if it was good value it would sort of ruin the point.

As others have said, most of their recent offerings have all been super bland 'contemporary' which seems to be the equivalent of magnolia walls. It just doesn't seem the status symbol it was, it more comes across as 'Is that really the best statement you could think of?'
Good question and you are right. It is the wrong place and that is why I moved to Chat. :smile:

Back to topic: A Rolex is it never worth to pay, if people have a rational view on a watch like me. A watch has just to be worked, everything else is inadaquate luxury.
It depends on how much of a kick you get out of showing off that you're rich.
It's a watch, it tells time. It is no better at that function than the clock on my phone or the watch that I have from a much cheaper brand.
I have owned a few Rolex watches in my time, though I much prefer Audemars Piguet.

Quick Reply

Latest