The Student Room Group

Finding a new home with no money

My situation is quite complicated, 2 years ago my mum has kicked me out of the house so I moved in with my boyfriend and his mum and sister. I lived here for 2 years but I can't be here anymore, I have no space nor say in anything, every single day I get annoyed about it and I need to find a place for myself. I am an apprentice but I'm due to finish my 1st year of apprenticeship soon so I should start getting paid minimum wage which will give me over £200 a week, it's still not enough for me to rent and I was told I won't receive any help from the council etc because I'm in a relationship and our earnings are counted together and we go over what we should earn for me to get anything. I just can't live here anymore.
Reply 1
Perhaps instead of leaving, you should talk to your boyfriend's family about how you feel?

What do you mean 'no space nor say in anything'? Your living in another person's home, you will not get a say in everything nor should you expect to.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My situation is quite complicated, 2 years ago my mum has kicked me out of the house so I moved in with my boyfriend and his mum and sister. I lived here for 2 years but I can't be here anymore, I have no space nor say in anything, every single day I get annoyed about it and I need to find a place for myself. I am an apprentice but I'm due to finish my 1st year of apprenticeship soon so I should start getting paid minimum wage which will give me over £200 a week, it's still not enough for me to rent and I was told I won't receive any help from the council etc because I'm in a relationship and our earnings are counted together and we go over what we should earn for me to get anything. I just can't live here anymore.

Which city to you live in? What would be yiur combined regular income each month?
You could possibly get a place with your partner in a large shared house with others or rent a studio flat together. But you will have to work together and do a lot of searching and planning.
https://homes.trovit.co.uk/for-rent-flat-800-per-month-london-furnished
Reply 3
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Perhaps instead of leaving, you should talk to your boyfriend's family about how you feel?

What do you mean 'no space nor say in anything'? Your living in another person's home, you will not get a say in everything nor should you expect to.

Maybe she has simply just got fed up with living under other people's rules and also feels crowded?
Reply 4
Original post by mgi
Maybe she has simply just got fed up with living under other people's rules and also feels crowded?

Yes thank you, that's exactly it. I am not expecting anyone to make changes but I can't stay here anymore, it has massive impact on my mental health and I need to make changes
Are you legally married? If not, you should get some support as you are not living together, hence you would not be sharing finance.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Yes thank you, that's exactly it. I am not expecting anyone to make changes but I can't stay here anymore, it has massive impact on my mental health and I need to make changes

Yes, good. Don' t be discouraged. Read my other post to you.
Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and make changes together with your partner. And actually the new challenges will make you feel happier and more fulfilled and the mental health stuff starts to fall off a cliff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending