The Student Room Group

BTEC Grading process

Hey,I've just finished a Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science and with the whole lockdown, I didn't get any guidance as to how well I was doing with my work and whether I was close to my grade.I'm just wondering whether anyone knows how to predict what your going to get on results day from the results you already have?Thanks,
Your lecturers would have given their predictions grades for your individual units and this makes up your final grade. Your prediction is based off completed work, previous grades and attendance.
These predictions will then get sent to Pearson for moderation. They will most likely stay the same but could change by one or two grades. My head of subject gave my unofficial grade of D*D*D* but this could again be altered by Pearson
You'll get your final grade on results day.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by megathon360
Your lecturers would have given their predictions grades for your individual units and this makes up your final grade. Your prediction is based off completed work, previous grades and attendance.
These predictions will then get sent to Pearson for moderation. They will most likely stay the same but could change by one or two grades. My head of subject gave my unofficial grade of D*D*D* but this could again be altered by Pearson
You'll get your final grade on results day.
Good luck :smile:

is this prediction that the teachers give differently than what you were predicted from the work in the previous year, for example, i got a DM first year but in this years completed units before corona i got majority Ds, and my prediction based solely on the DM last year was DDM which is my uni entry grade. Do u think that my teachers would change my grade to a DDD because of my good performance in units this year.
Original post by M0lli3_br0wn
Hey,I've just finished a Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science and with the whole lockdown, I didn't get any guidance as to how well I was doing with my work and whether I was close to my grade.I'm just wondering whether anyone knows how to predict what your going to get on results day from the results you already have?Thanks,

http://www.speedking.eu/grade-calculator/

you could use this calculator by entering both units from this year and last
Original post by anonymous---..

you could use this calculator by entering both units from this year and last

I don’t think this calculator is correct anymore. I’m pretty sure i remember my teacher saying it wasn’t correct and I just tried to use it and it said that I had failed the entire thing.. not even getting a PPP when I’ve been getting distinction in a majority of all my work
I don’t think this calculator is correct anymore. I’m pretty sure i remember my teacher saying it wasn’t correct and I just tried to use it and it said that I had failed the entire thing.. not even getting a PPP when I’ve been getting distinction in a majority of all my work

As long as you did the QCF btec level 3 / extended diploma it is accurate. You just need to enter in the amount of units from the two years that you did. Should add up to 180 points.

Original post by anonymous---..
is this prediction that the teachers give differently than what you were predicted from the work in the previous year, for example, i got a DM first year but in this years completed units before corona i got majority Ds, and my prediction based solely on the DM last year was DDM which is my uni entry grade. Do u think that my teachers would change my grade to a DDD because of my good performance in units this year.

Unfortunately they will look at your previous performance from last year as well and take this into account when they did predictions. I'm sure that they looked at your improvement in grades this year and would have predicted to reflect this
Original post by megathon360

As long as you did the QCF btec level 3 / extended diploma it is accurate. You just need to enter in the amount of units from the two years that you did. Should add up to 180 points.

Unfortunately they will look at your previous performance from last year as well and take this into account when they did predictions. I'm sure that they looked at your improvement in grades this year and would have predicted to reflect this

by the way, btecs arent really gonna be affected by the alteration as A-level student fear it to. as btecs arent exam based and ofqual have acc unit grades to work off(those units before corona obviously)
this is quite helpful, they say that it’s unlikely that the grades your teachers calculated will change, because they “are at the core of btec grading” and know best.

When i spoke to my programme manager she said that if you had completed the first assignment of a unit before the lockdown in march then they would pretty much just use that grade as the overall grade for that unit. (may improve if they think you would have improved after a resubmission)
She also said that any of the work you did after lockdown doesn’t officially count but can’t bring your grade down only up, as it’s used as evidence.
She said they will be comparing similar units, so last year i did biology and i got a D so they will be using that to calculate my animal nutrition grade as they are both biology based subjects
Original post by ninasally
this is quite helpful, they say that it’s unlikely that the grades your teachers calculated will change, because they “are at the core of btec grading” and know best.

so basically btecs are probably the only qualification that is not going to be hit with disappointment on the 13th cause of the completed units
well maybe, but they are still going to be adjusted up or down based on previous centre achievement, but they aren't using the same standardisation system as alevels. But btecs have more evidence from completed and half-completed units, over alevels who might only have mocks.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html

this might help, its the official btec calculator and uses excel, you chose your course and then input all your units and it gives you a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending