The Student Room Group

Where is the focus in the A level debate on white working class boys?

They are the group that tends to get screwed over the most. I’m white working class and I am off to study medicine next year.

However, pretty much every other white working class boy I started with at primary school didn’t even get the opportunity to make it to A level as they had racist and sexist teachers discourage them every step of the way.

So, to the Karens crying because they don’t get to go to their first choice. I couldn’t care less. I am the only one of my peers to be going on to study medicine.

To paraphrase Neil Kinnock (on the generational struggle for politics, a speech btw that Biden ripped off), it is not because I am any better than the other white working class lads but because they didn’t have the opportunity in the first place.
(edited 3 years ago)
What a fabulously caring attitude you have. With arrogance like that (All be it not privileged arrogance) you will make a great doctor.
Original post by ByEeek
What a fabulously caring attitude you have. With arrogance like that (All be it not privileged arrogance) you will make a great doctor.

How is it “arrogance” to care about white working class boys who have nothing?
Reply 3
Capitalism f*cks us all over, it's just compared to a lot of others u and ur "peers" have got it much better.
(edited 3 years ago)
The focus has been on the algorithm disadvantaging larger places, often sixth form colleges where the pupils are less likely to be from higher income families. Regardless of ethnicity.
Original post by LionheartChad
How is it “arrogance” to care about white working class boys who have nothing?

Your support of white working boys is admirable. You dismissal of others is arrogant.

As a future doctor will you only be treating those you deem worthy by your view of society?
Reply 6
They are the group that tends to get screwed over the most. I’m white working class and I am off to study medicine next year.

However, pretty much every other white working class boy I started with at primary school didn’t even get the opportunity to make it to A level as they had racist and sexist teachers discourage them every step of the way.

So, to the Karens crying because they don’t get to go to their first choice. I couldn’t care less. I am the only one of my peers to be going on to study medicine.

To paraphrase Neil Kinnock (on the generational struggle for politics, a speech btw that Biden ripped off), it is not because I am any better than the other white working class lads but because they didn’t have the opportunity in the first place.

Just to check, you had different teachers to everyone else in your primary school?

The topic of white working class boys and their academic attainment has been done to death within the education community.

I'm amazed that a future medic is yet to develop the advanced research skills (a few Google searches) to determine this themselves.
Original post by ByEeek
Your support of white working boys is admirable. You dismissal of others is arrogant.

As a future doctor will you only be treating those you deem worthy by your view of society?

Why is he dismissing other groups, are other pressure groups and activists dismissing others when they identify and highlight prejudice for other groups? Would you accuse a potential future feminist doctor she would only be treating those you she deemed worthy by her views of society, as well?

While I dont dispute white working class boys are discriminated against, laying all the blame on racist and sexist teachers who discourage them every step of the way is disingenuous, while it is certainly true this does happen however not to the extent you claim in your OP. However to be fair, that's not different to any activist of any type who exaggerates things to paint a more harsher picture than the reality!

Two wrongs dont make a right
(edited 3 years ago)

As someone who has worked in schools before I have absolutely never seen a single ‘white working class boy’ had ‘racist and sexist teachers discourage them every step of the way.’ That is just absolute tosh.

What I have seen, is behaviour problems, which mainly stem from ‘white working class boys’, depending on the area of the country, who push teaching staff every step of the way, don’t accept help, and ruin learning environments for their peers. Teachers spend an inordinate amount of time on these children, which then detracts from their actual teaching they should be doing, and as a result, the class suffers.
Original post by OnTheMound
Hush up, nonce.

Well rounded argument. Hit to close to home, did it? Also, reported for offensive language. :wink:
Original post by Burton Bridge
Why is he dismissing other groups, are other pressure groups and activists dismissing others when they identify and highlight prejudice for other groups? Would you accuse a potential future feminist doctor she would only be treating those you she deemed worthy by her views of society, as well?

I didn't. I did acknowledge the plight of working class boys.

But in a debate about inequalities, the counter argument to "group A are disadvantaged" is not, "that maybe, but group B are disadvantaged more." It shifts the debate away from the original topic and you end up solving nothing amidst a clamour to be the most disadvantaged.

Working class boys being disadvantaged is often used as a counter / distraction away from women being disadvantaged. Sure - it is an issue, but it isn't more or less important, just a different issue with different causes and solutions. If you want to talk about it, by all means, start a new thread.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
I didn't. I did acknowledge the plight of working class boys.

But in a debate about inequalities, the counter argument to "group A are disadvantaged" is not, "that maybe, but group B are disadvantaged more." It shifts the debate away from the original topic and you end up solving nothing amidst a clamour to be the most disadvantaged.

Working class boys being disadvantaged is often used as a counter / distraction away from women being disadvantaged. Sure - it is an issue, but it isn't more or less important, just a different issue with different causes and solutions. If you want to talk about it, by all means, start a new thread.

I just saw you providing scorn on the OP, again since you didn't answer.

The only thing I can see is his comment about Karen's? Thats a derogatory comment I do agree with you about the Whataboutry however, that's nothing different to what almost every activist group does. Not that that makes it correct.
Reply 14
Why can't people look beyond the melanin content of kids these days? Is it not more pertinent to focus on the fact children across the country are being shafted by the system as opposed to this petty little struggle between white people and black as to who supposedly has it worse?
Original post by Napp
Why can't people look beyond the melanin content of kids these days? Is it not more pertinent to focus on the fact children across the country are being shafted by the system as opposed to this petty little struggle between white people and black as to who supposedly has it worse?

Prisom mate, spot on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending