The Student Room Group

Doing terrible at LNAT practise

Hey, I’d really appreciate any advice I could get!

So, I am a really good academic student with A*A*AD* predicted A-Level grades and 999999888 gcses. I’m applying to Oxford and Bristol for law, both of which require an LNAT. I know I could get the grades to get in, and am currently working on my personal statement. It’s all looking good, but there’s one problem:

I am absolutely terrible at the LNAT.

I haven’t taken the exam yet, but I’ve done the 2 practice papers and I have done absolutely appallingly. In my most recent one i got 19. My previous one wasn’t too bad - I got 26 - but the 19 one has really thrown me off course. I’ve heard that the average is 23 but most unis want 27. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I really need some advice on how to do better. I’d really appreciate any tips anybody has. I read the questions first, then the extract, then reread the questions with fresh eyes. I have no problem with timing. I just don’t know what to do. If I get a score like 19 in the actual exam, I’ll be devastated.

Thanks,
Aelise
Reply 1
Hey same case with me:/ I’m an international student and I’m freaking out over the essay section as English is my second language, how’s that going for you?
Hey! I applied to Oxford and got an offer for this year (unfortunately because of results day I’ve lost my place at Oxford) but please don’t be discouraged by low scores at the start! Keep practising! Your GCSEs are amazing! If it makes you feel better I got in to Ox with an LNAT score of 23, Idk how on earth that happened but remember it is a holistic application. I’m hoping this year to do a lot better on my LNAT as I got rejected by UCL last/this year so hopefully I’ll get an offer this year! But yes what I would say is keep going and it will be fine- my scores fluctuated from like 17 to 26 so don’t worry☺️ good luck!! X
Just a follow up from what I said- I don’t have many tips because I wasn’t amazing at the LNAT myself but look up some tips online and I would recommend getting an LNAT book which has the practice questions and explanations for solutions and from this you can start to pick up patterns! X if you have any questions just message me :smile:
Sorry I’m writing bare messages aha. It’s not true that most unis want 27, maybe if you are an international student but I got in to Notts and Bristol with my LNAT score as well.
Hey, I know that this probably seems like a huge problem right now but don't worry too much, 19 and 26 aren't bad scores! Besides, the LNAT tests skills that we don't use to such a high level in school, so it makes sense that we won't be able to do well on the first few tries. As the previous poster said, you don't need an extremely high score to get accepted, but if you want to improve your score then the only way to really do that is by practicing. I've been using LNAT books and Arbitio, both of which are great and have loads of practice questions :smile:

Ps - I started an Oxford law 2021 applicants thread about a week ago if you want to check it out! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6626490
Original post by aelise
Hey, I’d really appreciate any advice I could get!

So, I am a really good academic student with A*A*AD* predicted A-Level grades and 999999888 gcses. I’m applying to Oxford and Bristol for law, both of which require an LNAT. I know I could get the grades to get in, and am currently working on my personal statement. It’s all looking good, but there’s one problem:

I am absolutely terrible at the LNAT.

I haven’t taken the exam yet, but I’ve done the 2 practice papers and I have done absolutely appallingly. In my most recent one i got 19. My previous one wasn’t too bad - I got 26 - but the 19 one has really thrown me off course. I’ve heard that the average is 23 but most unis want 27. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I really need some advice on how to do better. I’d really appreciate any tips anybody has. I read the questions first, then the extract, then reread the questions with fresh eyes. I have no problem with timing. I just don’t know what to do. If I get a score like 19 in the actual exam, I’ll be devastated.

Thanks,
Aelise

This is the LNAT thread from last year

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192
Reply 7
Original post by Kimberley270302
Hey! I applied to Oxford and got an offer for this year (unfortunately because of results day I’ve lost my place at Oxford) but please don’t be discouraged by low scores at the start! Keep practising! Your GCSEs are amazing! If it makes you feel better I got in to Ox with an LNAT score of 23, Idk how on earth that happened but remember it is a holistic application. I’m hoping this year to do a lot better on my LNAT as I got rejected by UCL last/this year so hopefully I’ll get an offer this year! But yes what I would say is keep going and it will be fine- my scores fluctuated from like 17 to 26 so don’t worry☺️ good luck!! X

Thank you so much! I really hope you're right. I've been working so hard for a really long time and it would really knock me back if all my grades were invalidated by a bad LNAT score. I have a book and I'm doing practise questions and my overall average is about 64% correct which I'm hoping is alright. It's just scary knowing that it all sort of comes down to whatever questions I get on the official paper!
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
This is the LNAT thread from last year

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by ginevrafanshawe
Hey, I know that this probably seems like a huge problem right now but don't worry too much, 19 and 26 aren't bad scores! Besides, the LNAT tests skills that we don't use to such a high level in school, so it makes sense that we won't be able to do well on the first few tries. As the previous poster said, you don't need an extremely high score to get accepted, but if you want to improve your score then the only way to really do that is by practicing. I've been using LNAT books and Arbitio, both of which are great and have loads of practice questions :smile:

Ps - I started an Oxford law 2021 applicants thread about a week ago if you want to check it out! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6626490

I really hope you're right and that I can get better! I've been using a practise question book and my overall correct percentage is just over 60% which isn't too bad but not too great either. I understand the reasonings for the right answers when I read them - I normally manage to narrow it down to two options then pick the wrong one!
What's Arbitio? Is it something you'd recommend I look into?

Also thank you! I will definitely check out your thread.
Reply 10
Original post by nyx2911
Hey same case with me:/ I’m an international student and I’m freaking out over the essay section as English is my second language, how’s that going for you?

Ahhh I totally get that! I'm only freaking out over the multiple choice because writing essays comes quite naturally to me. What is your first language? Maybe I could give a few tips for how to work out cognates and things if you're worried about phrasing or grammar or anything?
Original post by aelise
I really hope you're right and that I can get better! I've been using a practise question book and my overall correct percentage is just over 60% which isn't too bad but not too great either. I understand the reasonings for the right answers when I read them - I normally manage to narrow it down to two options then pick the wrong one!
What's Arbitio? Is it something you'd recommend I look into?

Also thank you! I will definitely check out your thread.

It's definitely possible to improve, I've gone up a few points since I started practicing :smile: Arbitio is an LNAT revision website with loads of practice tests and essays; once you do them it also walks you through the multiple choice, explaining why each answer is wrong or right, and gives you example essays. I've honestly found it so much better than the books I got, especially because the books tend to be easier than the actual thing whereas the Arbitio tests tend to be harder, so it makes the real thing so much easier! The one drawback of Arbitio is that it's £60, but honestly I think it's completely worth it (also, I used the code ARBITIO10 for 10% off, which should probably work for you too :smile:)
I'd recommend Arbitio. My mistakes for my LNAT practice included not practicing enough in a test based environment i.e. 3 hours of total concentration with absolutely no disturbance. If it makes you feel any better, I got accepted into King's and my LNAT score was 19.
Original post by aelise
Ahhh I totally get that! I'm only freaking out over the multiple choice because writing essays comes quite naturally to me. What is your first language? Maybe I could give a few tips for how to work out cognates and things if you're worried about phrasing or grammar or anything?

Hey I’m
Original post by aelise

Hey! I’m from India and my mother tongue is Hindi. I’m just slightly confused as to which essay structure/pattern i should follow :

1- into/ para1,2&3 pros and cons in each para so 6 points in all/ conclusion
2-intro/ para1&2 pros/paras 3&4 cons/conclusion

Open to feedback and would appreciate some guidance here eeeps :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by nyx2911
Hey I’m

Hey! I’m from India and my mother tongue is Hindi. I’m just slightly confused as to which essay structure/pattern i should follow :

1- into/ para1,2&3 pros and cons in each para so 6 points in all/ conclusion
2-intro/ para1&2 pros/paras 3&4 cons/conclusion

Open to feedback and would appreciate some guidance here eeeps :tongue:

I like your second option! It sounds more clearly structured to me.
Though don’t take my word for it - I’m not a teacher or anything! 😂

I usually do:

Intro / Para 1 - 1st point / Para 2 - Second Point that supports 1st Point / Para 3 - Counterargument / Para 4 - Refute the Counterargument / Conclusion.

As far as grammatical errors go, this link shows some of the most misspelled English words: https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html

Hope this helps!
Original post by aelise
I like your second option! It sounds more clearly structured to me.
Though don’t take my word for it - I’m not a teacher or anything! 😂

I usually do:

Intro / Para 1 - 1st point / Para 2 - Second Point that supports 1st Point / Para 3 - Counterargument / Para 4 - Refute the Counterargument / Conclusion.

As far as grammatical errors go, this link shows some of the most misspelled English words: https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!
Original post by Aditya_02
I'd recommend Arbitio. My mistakes for my LNAT practice included not practicing enough in a test based environment i.e. 3 hours of total concentration with absolutely no disturbance. If it makes you feel any better, I got accepted into King's and my LNAT score was 19.

What were your grade predictions if you don’t mind me asking? My Lnat is tomorrow and I’m absolutely ******** myself
Original post by aaliyah519
What were your grade predictions if you don’t mind me asking? My Lnat is tomorrow and I’m absolutely ******** myself

Not sure if you're referring to A level or LNAT score predictions:
A level: 3A*
LNAT: Pretty much the same as I got (19)
Original post by Aditya_02
Not sure if you're referring to A level or LNAT score predictions:
A level: 3A*
LNAT: Pretty much the same as I got (19)

hi, where else had you applied and are you an international student?
are you reapplying by any chance this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending