The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology part-time distance conversion course - which uni?!!!

Long title - sorry!

Hey guys, I've just graduated in Modern Languages and Linguistics (French and Italian) and I wanted to develop my A-Level in Psychology. I've narrowed it down to MMU, Brunel, and Arden. I don't want to stretch too far as I'm based in the West Midlands. Planning to do this part-time so I can focus on jobs and finding my chosen career path. As I'm still waiting for offers, I just want some tips or guidance from people who have already done this course with these universities. Any positives/negatives? Uni rankings? Different universities? I've got an offer from Brunel and I'm still waiting for MMU to respond. Just submitted Arden application.

I'm looking to go down the occupational psychology path after my MSc, or working in the mental health sector but not sure yet!

Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey @petite_traveller,

I'm currently doing my MSc Psychology via distance learning at Arden, it is split into 6 modules plus the dissertation module at the end. I love the fact that I can work full time and still study. It's not always easy to juggle everything but the lecturers are very supportive. The modules are split into 10 lessons and then there is one assignment per module, you are given lots of help and guidance plus the opportunity for individual feedback on part of your assignments. It doesn't matter if you have done a different undergrad degree either because the modules are in a certain order so that you learn what you need to know to progress. Even though it is all done distance learning I definitely feel a part of the university and connected more so than I ever did during my undergrad degree on campus, we have module forums, and many cohorts of students have whatsapp groups, module specific facebook and twitter accounts. There is also lots to get involved with, research assistant work experience posts, and you could nominate yourself to be a student rep to for example :-)

Hope that is helpful.

Abigail
Arden University Ambassador
Original post by petite_traveller
Long title - sorry!

Hey guys, I've just graduated in Modern Languages and Linguistics (French and Italian) and I wanted to develop my A-Level in Psychology. I've narrowed it down to MMU, Brunel, and Arden. I don't want to stretch too far as I'm based in the West Midlands. Planning to do this part-time so I can focus on jobs and finding my chosen career path. As I'm still waiting for offers, I just want some tips or guidance from people who have already done this course with these universities. Any positives/negatives? Uni rankings? Different universities? I've got an offer from Brunel and I'm still waiting for MMU to respond. Just submitted Arden application.

I'm looking to go down the occupational psychology path after my MSc, or working in the mental health sector but not sure yet!

Thank you!

Hi petite_traveller

I am currently doing my MSc in Psychology at Arden University after doing a BA (Hons) Sociology degree about seven years ago. I've really enjoyed the course, and your A Level in Psychology will be an advantage. The first two Unit's are perhaps the most challenging as they are deeply ingrained in research methods and are very scientific (as they would be on any MSc in Psychology). The online materials are fantastic, I typically struggle with technology such as SPSS, but the videos have really helped me understand it. The tutor feedback is constructive, and student support is always there to lend a hand.

Studying at some of the larger institutions can often make people feel a little lost on campus especially if they haven't been to University before. Arden offers a mix of online (which is what I am doing) and blended learning options, which during Covid complications allows a very useful flexibility in these times.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by ChaddVinyl
Hi petite_traveller

I am currently doing my MSc in Psychology at Arden University after doing a BA (Hons) Sociology degree about seven years ago. I've really enjoyed the course, and your A Level in Psychology will be an advantage. The first two Unit's are perhaps the most challenging as they are deeply ingrained in research methods and are very scientific (as they would be on any MSc in Psychology). The online materials are fantastic, I typically struggle with technology such as SPSS, but the videos have really helped me understand it. The tutor feedback is constructive, and student support is always there to lend a hand.

Studying at some of the larger institutions can often make people feel a little lost on campus especially if they haven't been to University before. Arden offers a mix of online (which is what I am doing) and blended learning options, which during Covid complications allows a very useful flexibility in these times.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comment and your advice. Just a little question: are there any exams or is the entire Master's based on coursework? As i'm trying to limit travelling to the actual University.

Atiya
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comment and your advice. Just a little question: are there any exams or is the entire Master's based on coursework? As i'm trying to limit travelling to the actual University.

Atiya

Hi @petite_traveller,

There are no exams in the Masters course (which is a distance learning, so fully online, course). You can see for yourself if you visit the webpage below; scroll down to 'Course Details & Modules' and click on the 'MSc Psychology (BPS) Programme Specification' link that is highlighted in blue. Page 19 of the programme spec has information on how you would be assessed; it includes things like research projects, a poster, essays, literature reviews and a dissertation :smile:

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/postgraduate/msc-psychology-bps

Also, if you are interested in Occupational Psychology, we ran a careers webinar last month where we had a Occupational Psychologist tell us about her career - have a watch, hopefully you will find it useful! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/8748114042044188674

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Amy
Original post by Arden University
Hi @petite_traveller,

There are no exams in the Masters course (which is a distance learning, so fully online, course). You can see for yourself if you visit the webpage below; scroll down to 'Course Details & Modules' and click on the 'MSc Psychology (BPS) Programme Specification' link that is highlighted in blue. Page 19 of the programme spec has information on how you would be assessed; it includes things like research projects, a poster, essays, literature reviews and a dissertation :smile:

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/postgraduate/msc-psychology-bps

Also, if you are interested in Occupational Psychology, we ran a careers webinar last month where we had a Occupational Psychologist tell us about her career - have a watch, hopefully you will find it useful! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/8748114042044188674

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Amy

Hi Amy, thank you for the tips! I'll re-read the pdf as I may have missed it.

Thank you so much for sending the link for the occupational psychology workshop, that's really helpful!
Best,
Atiya
Hi Marc,

Atiya

Hi Atiya, the current Covid pandemic has shaped a lot of the way in which the course is assessed at the moment.There is the possibility of a time constrained examination from home where you are given the assignment brief for a number of hours and type a reply digitally. I use the term 'possibility' because I have one module to go so it could turn up for me.

I have just done a case study for abnormal psychology, a journal article for behavioral neuroscience, and did an essay for social psychology.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Atiya, the current Covid pandemic has shaped a lot of the way in which the course is assessed at the moment.There is the possibility of a time constrained examination from home where you are given the assignment brief for a number of hours and type a reply digitally. I use the term 'possibility' because I have one module to go so it could turn up for me.

I have just done a case study for abnormal psychology, a journal article for behavioral neuroscience, and did an essay for social psychology.

Hey, thanks for commenting! That's really helpful. If you don't mind keeping me updated, i'd love to know whether that option does come up for you.
Also, can you choose the assignment type for behavioural neuroscience? I'm still waiting for an update from Arden as my application is being processed, so I apologize for the questions!
(edited 3 years ago)
By the way, thank you everyone for replying! I have chosen Arden as the modules appeal to me more. Just waiting for an offer, fingers crossed!
Hey, thanks for commenting! That's really helpful. If you don't mind keeping me updated, i'd love to know whether that option does come up for you.
Also, can you choose the assignment type for behavioural neuroscience? I'm still waiting for an update from Arden as my application is being processed, so I apologize for the questions!

Hey @petite_traveller, there are no time constraints assignments in the course at all. They all got removed because of student feedback. With regards to the neuroscience module and all of them in fact you don't choose the assignment type but we did get the opportunity in our neuroscience literature review question to link the question to a topic of interest. When it comes to the dissertation module currently you can either do a journal article or research report. Hope that helps There is a mix of assignments, in my current module I have to create a narrated poster with a transcript.

Abigail
Arden Student Ambassador

@petite-traveller

In terms of behavioral neuroscience the assignment brief I received asked us to focus on one particular neurotransmitter and write a 5,000 journal article on it.

Marc
Original post by Abigail R Brown
Hey @petite_traveller, there are no time constraints assignments in the course at all. They all got removed because of student feedback. With regards to the neuroscience module and all of them in fact you don't choose the assignment type but we did get the opportunity in our neuroscience literature review question to link the question to a topic of interest. When it comes to the dissertation module currently you can either do a journal article or research report. Hope that helps There is a mix of assignments, in my current module I have to create a narrated poster with a transcript.

Abigail
Arden Student Ambassador

Hi Abigail,

Thank you so much for clarifying this! I just spoke to my recruitment adviser who reiterated this. I have an idea in mind for my dissertation - this may change throughout the course but I've just watched the workshop with Arden so it's given me food for thought. Thank you very much for your insight!
Atiya
@petite-traveller

In terms of behavioral neuroscience the assignment brief I received asked us to focus on one particular neurotransmitter and write a 5,000 journal article on it.

Marc

Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated!

Atiya
Reply 13
Long title - sorry!

Thank you!

Hey @petite_traveller I was just wondering how your Psych Conversion at Arden went? I have been accepted into Arden and Brunel and having a hard time deciding, it would be good to hear your experience.. :smile:
Original post by marema_
Hey @petite_traveller I was just wondering how your Psych Conversion at Arden went? I have been accepted into Arden and Brunel and having a hard time deciding, it would be good to hear your experience.. :smile:

@marema_
I've just finished my MSc conversion course at Arden in Psychology and had a great time. A big bonus was there was plenty of opportunities to volunteer on projects as assistants which looks great on your CV in terms of employability. I've taught myself in the social sciences for 10 years and can vouch for the standard of teaching.

In terms of Universities, you could look at both the QAA report for the University (a bit like an Ofsted report) and the The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) report which are easy to find online, they will give you an unbiased overview of any institution

Marc
Original post by Abigail R Brown
Hey @petite_traveller,

I'm currently doing my MSc Psychology via distance learning at Arden, it is split into 6 modules plus the dissertation module at the end. I love the fact that I can work full time and still study. It's not always easy to juggle everything but the lecturers are very supportive. The modules are split into 10 lessons and then there is one assignment per module, you are given lots of help and guidance plus the opportunity for individual feedback on part of your assignments. It doesn't matter if you have done a different undergrad degree either because the modules are in a certain order so that you learn what you need to know to progress. Even though it is all done distance learning I definitely feel a part of the university and connected more so than I ever did during my undergrad degree on campus, we have module forums, and many cohorts of students have whatsapp groups, module specific facebook and twitter accounts. There is also lots to get involved with, research assistant work experience posts, and you could nominate yourself to be a student rep to for example :-)

Hope that is helpful.

Abigail
Arden University Ambassador

That sounds so positive Abigail I am considering undertaking this route as I am very interested in counselling psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending