The Student Room Group

A Level Maths experiences

I am considering self studying A-Level maths.
I wondered if anyone else has had any experience of doing this AND how hard this was.

I got a grade 8 at GCSE so I am OK at maths.

Just looking for normal/ honest experiences, not someone pretending to be some thing they aren't/ showing off. Don't mean for that to come across the wrong way, just these types of threads (seem to) always end up with those kind of responses.
A level maths is very different from gcse. Might be a bit dodgy doing it by yourself. If you’ve maybe got people that have done it before and can help you out you might be able to do it but depends how confident you are. Maybe skim over the material and see if it’s worth it
Original post by Eaphysics
A level maths is very different from gcse. Might be a bit dodgy doing it by yourself. If you’ve maybe got people that have done it before and can help you out you might be able to do it but depends how confident you are. Maybe skim over the material and see if it’s worth it

Yeah that's what I am worried about- I don't know anyone who's done it before, so I don't have anyone to help me out on the conceptually trickier parts.
How is it different to GCSE? Other than it obviously being harder.
Original post by glassalice
Yeah that's what I am worried about- I don't know anyone who's done it before, so I don't have anyone to help me out on the conceptually trickier parts.
How is it different to GCSE? Other than it obviously being harder.

Work load is much more. So much to learn and remember. What units will you be doing apart from the core modules eg mechanics or statistics? Also if you skim through an a level text book and gcse the differences become apparent quick
I am considering self studying A-Level maths.
I wondered if anyone else has had any experience of doing this AND how hard this was.

I got a grade 8 at GCSE so I am OK at maths.

Just looking for normal/ honest experiences, not someone pretending to be some thing they aren't/ showing off. Don't mean for that to come across the wrong way, just these types of threads (seem to) always end up with those kind of responses.

I did edexcel (pure/stats/mechanics). Honestly the pure stuff was reasonable (AS was super easy but A2 took some thought sometimes especially with integration). The stats feels more like an english language GCSE exam half the time and the mechanics can get pretty tough sometimes. Overall I'd say its easier than I expected it to be but you still have to put some effort into the harder topics.
Try purchase a course online?
Original post by Eaphysics
Work load is much more. So much to learn and remember. What units will you be doing apart from the core modules eg mechanics or statistics? Also if you skim through an a level text book and gcse the differences become apparent quick

Thank you, will do.

Original post by Sososnake
I did edexcel (pure/stats/mechanics). Honestly the pure stuff was reasonable (AS was super easy but A2 took some thought sometimes especially with integration). The stats feels more like an english language GCSE exam half the time and the mechanics can get pretty tough sometimes. Overall I'd say its easier than I expected it to be but you still have to put some effort into the harder topics.

I have actually done GCSE statics and similarly it was like an English exam. Hated it.
Are you talking about the older or the current spec a-level spec?
I have actually done GCSE statics and similarly it was like an English exam. Hated it.
Are you talking about the older or the current spec a-level spec?

The newer one, I just finished my A levels (should've taken the exams but got given my CAG's).

Quick Reply

Latest