The Student Room Group

seminar participation

when a uni states that you will be assessed through seminar participation does this mean doing presentations or joining in on discussions in class? because I get the presentation thing but yeah idk help
Hi Anon,

At ARU, we have a complete online breakdown of what our assessment criteria includes. We also tend to go through it during our first seminar to provide clarity for all the students in the class. In the past, 'seminar participation' on my course has included both presentations, and contributing to discussions and being an engaged member of the group. It depends on your course, university, seminar leader etc.

The best thing to do is to ask your seminar leader for clarity, after all you are being marked/ assessed on it, so you do need to know! There is no such thing as a silly question, especially when it is about helping you succeed in your degree!

Hope this helps!
Zoe :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
when a uni states that you will be assessed through seminar participation does this mean doing presentations or joining in on discussions in class? because I get the presentation thing but yeah idk help

Hiya!

In my first year for one of my assessments 10% of the mark was assessed based on seminar participation. Uni's will be trying to make this year as similar to any other year despite covid so I would say seminar participation this includes three major things. Firstly your attendance! If you're attending all your seminars then your lecturers will see that you are actively participating. Secondly, if you are preparing for the seminars. Seminars are made for discussion into further detail of topics that would have been discussed in your lectures and sometimes your lecturer will ask you to prepare fro them by reading up on a case study, writing notes of your opinion about something which you then have to talk about in your seminar. Lastly, speaking up is major. Let your seminar teacher know who you are and try to always answer at least question, or raise one point in your seminar to make sure your tutor knows who you are.

Hope this helps! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending