The Student Room Group

A level Subjects help

Good Day,

Is having sociology Psychology and English A levels considered to be the equivalent to a high school diploma?, or should i study a traditional core respected subject like history instead of Sociology?

the reason why I'm asking is, i already learned Psychology, i feel sociology could complement Psychology, but i heard sociology is not considered a core respected subject, so should i study history instead?

furthermore i was interested in doing thinking skills as my third A level instead of sociology but again i heard its a soft subject
Original post by raffi111
Good Day,

Is having sociology Psychology and English A levels considered to be the equivalent to a high school diploma?, or should i study a traditional core respected subject like history instead of Sociology?

the reason why I'm asking is, i already learned Psychology, i feel sociology could complement Psychology, but i heard sociology is not considered a core respected subject, so should i study history instead?

furthermore i was interested in doing thinking skills as my third A level instead of sociology but again i heard its a soft subject

In the UK, Sociology is a respected subject. If you enjoy it and think you will do well in it and it's relevant to your future career goals then you should do it.

I'm not sure if it is equivalent to a high school diploma, sorry. A-Levels are completed after GCSEs so you would have already completed "formal" education after GCSEs, so A-Levels might be the next level above the high school diploma? Best to ask your school to be sure.

I've never heard of Thinking Skills as an A-Level, although I know some unis do not accept General Studies etc. as an A-Level so you should check the entry requirements of the university you want to go to (if you want to go).
Good Day,

I took English lit & lang, history and sociology and I think they worked really well together! I would say take history and sociology because they were the most interesting subjects, I personally disliked most of English, but its all person preferences!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Good Day,

@raffi111 Hi!

In the UK Sociology is a respected subject academically, but in terms of employers it tends to be seen as the misunderstood brother to Psychology (I have a 1st BA (Hons) Sociology degree), which is useful if you want to teach the subject or get into Government work. I got a rolling of the eyes at the job center when I told them what my degree was.

It is a brilliant subject to study, but if you decided to convert to it at any point, I strongly recommend post graduate study afterward such as a PGCE (teacher training) or something at a bit of a tangent

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Thank you all for the many Reponses from the bottom of my heart, and i shall take them all into account and make my analysis based on the info u provided me with, and at least now sociology is a respected subject.
Reply 5
Original post by ChaddVinyl
@raffi111 Hi!

In the UK Sociology is a respected subject academically, but in terms of employers it tends to be seen as the misunderstood brother to Psychology (I have a 1st BA (Hons) Sociology degree), which is useful if you want to teach the subject or get into Government work. I got a rolling of the eyes at the job center when I told them what my degree was.

It is a brilliant subject to study, but if you decided to convert to it at any point, I strongly recommend post graduate study afterward such as a PGCE (teacher training) or something at a bit of a tangent

Marc

Oh waw im worried now i may get the rolling eyes too lol, cuz im aiming at a business kind of job any job basically in an office hah, well, i have an IGCSE in business Studies, what if i do Business again as my third A level, and in psychology i already chose the "Consumer behavior" and "Organizations" as my A level subjects.

hmm i feel like i would enjoy sociology more then Business, but since i done Business IGCSE, and in combination with the "Organizations" and "Consumer Behavior" in Psychology A level, it could be viable maybe?

My main goal is to have 3 A levels just to simply apply for an Educational credential assessment to immigrate, but im still trying to pick subjects which are relevant to one another, so im worried if Business A level would not be considered Core subject as my third A level and hence be rendered not equal to a high school degree and fail the the Educational credential assessment by the World Education Services, and Sociology seems to be more of a Core subject but lacks the relevancy in terms of Office job, so what should i do =l
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh waw im worried now i may get the rolling eyes too lol, cuz im aiming at a business kind of job any job basically in an office hah, well, i have an IGCSE in business Studies, what if i do Business again as my third A level, and in psychology i already chose the "Consumer behavior" and "Organizations" as my A level subjects.

hmm i feel like i would enjoy sociology more then Business, but since i done Business IGCSE, and in combination with the "Organizations" and "Consumer Behavior" in Psychology A level, it could be viable maybe?

My main goal is to have 3 A levels just to simply apply for an Educational credential assessment to immigrate, but im still trying to pick subjects which are relevant to one another, so im worried if Business A level would not be considered Core subject as my third A level and hence be rendered not equal to a high school degree and fail the the Educational credential assessment by the World Education Services, and Sociology seems to be more of a Core subject but lacks the relevancy in terms of Office job, so what should i do =l

It's difficult to say as you do not necessarily have to have a business degree to work in an office for a major corporation - many employers love people from a diverse background. Psychology is particularly popular. Alot of the big employers like the fact that you have a degree regardless of what it is in. What might be best is to do a Business degree in the UK and then have a look for graduate opportunities in the geographical area that you are studying
Original post by ChaddVinyl
@raffi111 Hi!

Marc

Hello

Just wanted to say thank you very much for this, I'm going into my third year of BSc Sociology and this was really helpful!

I am also wanting to go into business, and am currently studying sociology at uni so it shouldn't hinder your employability :smile:

Reply 9
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
I am also wanting to go into business, and am currently studying sociology at uni so it shouldn't hinder your employability :smile:

ok i guess that puts me at somewhat ease so i can study psychology and sociology and English as a second language and have the equivalent of a high school, and on a side note i have a business IGCSE..... i originally planned to do 5 IGCSE's then i said.. meh... 3 A levels, i wish they would allow thinking skills to also become a legitimate respected A level it really helps alot in my opinion

well thanks alot for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest