The Student Room Group

Excellent value £485 Dell Laptop

For anyone looking for a laptop, this Dell is currently available for £485 when you use the discount code on the page (valid until the end of September).

Spec wise it covers everything you need in a good everyday laptop and will have excellent longevity as a result. My only complaint is that it's a 1.7Kg, 15.6 inch laptop so it is a little big and heavy. But you'd typically pay £50-100 more for this type of hardware, which makes this a decent deal.

Scroll to see replies

Just get a MacBook Bro.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Just get a MacBook Bro.

Or don't.
Just get a MacBook Bro.

Why would I pay double the cost for the same specs but the "privilege" of having a glowing apple logo on the back lol...glow in the dark stickers are cheap :tongue:
Original post by artful_lounger
Why would I pay double the cost for the same specs but the "privilege" of having a glowing apple logo on the back lol...

Idk. Some people like it. And it’ll last you awhile. That’s all I guess?
Why would I pay double the cost for the same specs but the "privilege" of having a glowing apple logo on the back lol...glow in the dark stickers are cheap :tongue:

You don't even get the privilege of the glowing apple logo anymore now its just a fingerprint magnet shiny logo, can't really help the argument against as i have a MacBook but need it for my work & course due to certain software
having a glowing apple logo on the back lol

Pretty sure they don't illuminate anymore.
Original post by Fresher18
can't really help the argument against as i have a MacBook but need it for my work & course due to certain software

There isn't really an "argument". If somene wants or needs to use MacOS, they will choose an Apple device. It's less an argument and more a lack of options. As soon as someone is flexible in their OS choice, or wants to consider other factors (cost, specs, etc.) then you can objectively compare devices. But it's not an argument so much as it comes down to personal preference.

Artful mentions above why would someone pay double for the same specs. One answer there is MacOS. But we can ask the same question about Windows devices. Why would I buy an XPS 13, when the laptop I linked in the original post has the same hardware and costs half as much? There are objective answers to that question, and not everyone will agree with the reasoning. I've dealt first hand with narrow minded people who like to judge other people's purchases. But it's a personal decision, not something to be vehemently argued and there is no right or wrong.

I, like others in this thread, will poke fun at Apple and call out their stupid design choices. For example based on what you get, the MacBook Air is a joke and dongle life is real. But the arguments are best left to the fanboys with nothing better to do. At the end of the day, people should use what they want. But equally the person making choice needs to understand the tradeoffs required, especially when it comes to choosing an Apple device.
Idk. Some people like it. And it’ll last you awhile. That’s all I guess?

Macbooks are notorious for spontaneously dying. Planned obsolescence is apples whole brand so you cant even change the battery yourself when it craps out.
People buy apple for the name
Original post by CoolCavy
Macbooks are notorious for spontaneously dying. Planned obsolescence is apples whole brand so you cant even change the battery yourself when it craps out.
People buy apple for the name

I’m not sure where you’ve learnt this from.

The last mb I had, lasted me six years. I don’t know anyone who’s owned a Mac , who’s suggested or claimed there’s failed spontaneously.

If you’re going to buy something this expensive you might as well fork out that little bit more for Apple care and then this isn’t an issue either because if it happened - it’d be covered by warranty.

Idk, sounds more like anti brand rhetoric than actually the brand being a failing. Why else would people buy it? Versace is a brand everyone thinks well of. Yet flocks don’t herd to purchase it? Similar logic. I don’t agree
Bro, I wasn’t coming at you for flaws or what’s superior. It was a suggestion. I’m not reading all of that. I’m not interested. Sorry 😐?

When your suggestion is bad, people are allowed to reply and say it is bad.
Yeah that’s fine. But I had no idea selling or advertising was allowed in TSR. So I came with a tongue in cheek suggestion so as to highlight was being done. I don’t see what the ruckus is?

I’m not even a Mac “fan”, I simple like some of their products - I can have taste too you know. And I can make a suggestion be it tongue in cheek or not, for what I would argue is worth money for me. That’s all I did?
Read my other post if it matters. If it’s too long. I’m only sharing preference? There are millions of people who would agree with me on it.

Either you man are saying we’re all stupid, or we’re all saying your being stupid for getting worked up of a brand’s success or reputation.

It’s similar vibe to hating on the rich:successful (and I’m working class). We all work to provide goods or services, no need to get defensive or “devalue” a “suggestion” ????
Yeah that’s fine. But I had no idea selling or advertising was allowed in TSR. So I came with a tongue in cheek suggestion so as to highlight was being done. I don’t see what the ruckus is?

I’m not even a Mac “fan”, I simple like some of their products - I can have taste too you know. And I can make a suggestion be it tongue in cheek or not, for what I would argue is worth money for me. That’s all I did?

Selling and advertising aren't allowed, sharing deals and purchase advice is (there is literally an entire subforum dedicated to posting deals). Your post had nothing to indicate it was satirical or tongue in cheek, and no substance to indicate it could be substantive advice in the context of sharing a sub-£500 laptop deal. It was a bad post either way in a forum intended primarily for support and purchase advice.
The Inspiron laptops are beautifully made. Would 100% recommend this. If anyone if thinking of buying a MacBook, I urge you to reconsider.
That’s subjective. I don’t call strangers bro. If it really matters, that’s the proof I was being satirical. I’d even argue the use of the word “just” should be enough to suggest I was being satirical because who says “just do this” in serious tone to a stranger over the internet?

As for the content of the suggestion I would have only provided advice/reason if asked on it. He shared a deal. I suggested an alternative. Anybody who had any interest whatsoever would then ask me or others about the suggestion? I’m pretty sure I responded appropriately to each quotation.

That’s me abiding by what I understand of not advertising or selling.

Either way. I don’t see your logic? You’re taking a stance of defence and argumentation over your opinion on my suggestion. My suggestion was a suggestion. You’re opinion was an opinion. I gave a suggestion, what are you not understanding - whether or not it was tongue in cheek. It doesn’t warrant being labelled bad in horde of posts (if I have to spell out, ofc I’m being exaggerating but that’s how you man are being about a computer?)

Idek man lol

Different things for different people.
Just get a MacBook Bro.

Are you willing to pay students who follow your advice the difference?
Excuse me. It’s a suggestion! I’m in no way saying “do this for this reason” , you guys are writing essays and well elaborating reasoned responses on products therefore you are interested in expressing opinions.

I had no such intention (unless sought for) - I merely made a suggestion. What’s not clicking?
Original post by 999tigger
Are you willing to pay students who follow your advice the difference?

In which dictionary does suggestion equate advice? Have you seen where I interpreted this post as an offence to TSR rules? My intention had been cleared up.

For what it is worth; staying on topic:

This is obviously only coming down to money. Yes. If I had a bank balance that was stupidly healthy, I would subsidise purchases of MacBooks for students. If I enjoy it, others should too.

I’m not bashing other machines either. I have a taste and you have yours. I’m not waving my taste in front of anyone and claiming superiority.
Windows > Apple at computers/laptops any day
If you look at any MacBook model you can always find a huge choice of windows laptops with much higher specs for the same price. The Windows software is also the most widely used by far so has better compatibility with softwares and applications.

Latest

Trending

Trending