The Student Room Group

Am I unemployable?

Hi guys,
Writing this hoping somebody may be able to give me some insight. I'm currently job hunting after graduating. However, I only graduated with a 2:2 (58%) degree in economics after my father passed in an accident before beginning final year, I became depressed and demotivated. Luckily, I got accepted to a masters in business management and achieved a 1:1 first overall. However, I'm very concerned my undergraduate 2.2 result will prevent me from gaining a place on graduate schemes. Am I basically unemployable to grad recruiters?
What type of employment experience, networking contacts and professional references do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
What type of employment experience, networking contacts and professional references do you have?

So far I have worked mostly in the retail sector. I have worked in boots for nine months and in Primark for a few months part-time too. I also spent a summer working abroad in Spain teaching English. I have two professional references from my previous managers and I also have my dissertation supervisor from university . My networking contacts are not that strong I have a LinkedIn profile with about 150 connections most of whom are fellow students and a few lecturers.
Reply 3
Original post by MariaMar33
So far I have worked mostly in the retail sector. I have worked in boots for nine months and in Primark for a few months part-time too. I also spent a summer working abroad in Spain teaching English. I have two professional references from my previous managers and I also have my dissertation supervisor from university . My networking contacts are not that strong I have a LinkedIn profile with about 150 connections most of whom are fellow students and a few lecturers.

what sort of job roles are you applying for and is there any particular career path u want to follow?

also, have u done any internships/placement years?
(edited 3 years ago)
well it seems to me you are not unemployable. From the things you wrote you seem to have done some good work and got references, i think its difficult at the moment with covid 19 but i think you will get a good job based on what you wrote
Have you looked at any gradschemes you're interested in?
It can be quite daunting because many that universities push as "the best" want a 2.1 or a 1st. Have a look around though because many grad schemes looking for graduates with 2.1's will accept a 2.2 in an undergraduate if you have a good masters degree also.
Very few people walk into a job immediately after graduating. Your degree might have been described as having an uncompetitive job market. That just means there's 200 people applying for 1 position rather than 2000.
Work on your applications and be sure to big up all your achievements, academic or not.
You are definitely employable! Don't give up! 🙂
How about being a physics teacher? There’s a shortage of teachers and all you need is a one year teaching qualification.
Original post by Mustafa0605
How about being a physics teacher? There’s a shortage of teachers and all you need is a one year teaching qualification.

Thought about becoming a maths teacher but do not have the personality for it. Also i’m not good with behaviour management. And I do not like pedagogy.
Reply 8
Original post by tan030
what sort of job roles are you applying for and is there any particular career path u want to follow?

also, have u done any internships/placement years?

I haven't done any internships so far as they were not included in my undergrad or postgrad. I'm looking to get onto a graduate scheme atm the areas I am most interested in are finance or management consulting as they are most related to my degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending