The Student Room Group

Question for Moroccans

I'm a British guy (atheist) in Morocco and looking to marry my girlfriend but as you know I'm expected to convert to Islam to do this.

However despite being from Morocco my gf is an atheist. Are Moroccan women de facto considered Muslim?
It would seem odd that I would be the Muslim and not her.

I will do it if there are no other options but I'd prefer not to.

P. S: her parents are not strict so don't take issue with this.

Any advice welcome.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a British guy (atheist) in Morocco and looking to marry my girlfriend but as you know I'm expected to convert to Islam to do this.

However despite being from Morocco my gf is an atheist. Are Moroccan women de facto considered Muslim?
It would seem odd that I would be the Muslim and not her.

I will do it if there are no other options but I'd prefer not to.

P. S: her parents are not strict so don't take issue with this.

Any advice welcome.

If she says she is an atheist, then she is an atheist, not a Muslim. Nobody "has" to be a certain religion just because of the country they're from. Is her family Muslim?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
If she says she is an atheist, then she is an atheist, not a Muslim. Nobody "has" to be a certain religion just because of the country they're from. Is her family Muslim?

But we are talking about from a legal standpoint. This is a Muslim country and they typically automatically consider all of their people as Muslim unless specifically stated otherwise.
There are no minority rights here so declaring oneself as atheist would mean you are not permitted to marry at all.

One of her parents is Muslim, the other atheist.
Reply 3
Legally they are both Muslims. Many people are atheists but you keep that to yourself and maintain the status quo as far the government and society go.
Reply 4
Morocco still has a largely islamist society and it is illegal to criticize Islam or attempt to convert a person from one religion to another, all in all the topic of religion in Morocco is touchy and pretty much everyone is Muslim on paper (although i'd say about half are irreligious), however in terms of the Arab world Morocco is one of the most moderate countries and to be legally married to a Muslim in Morocco you would need to a certified copy of a conversion document to Islam obtained from adouls in religious notarials, you would also need an Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry obtainable from a consulate/embassy. Good luck, hope it all works out!
But we are talking about from a legal standpoint. This is a Muslim country and they typically automatically consider all of their people as Muslim unless specifically stated otherwise.
There are no minority rights here so declaring oneself as atheist would mean you are not permitted to marry at all.

One of her parents is Muslim, the other atheist.

If it is the law, then you don't have a choice. I don't know a lot about Morocco (as you probably gathered from my comment) but you sound like you've done your research and it seems like you'll have to convert. I personally wouldn't be comfortable converting to a religion I have no interest/belief/connection to, but if you are comfortable with it then it sounds like you have to do it.

Are you happy living in Morocco, or would you possibly want to move back to Britain or move somewhere else later on?
Reply 6
Original post by hi?
Morocco still has a largely islamist society and it is illegal to criticize Islam or attempt to convert a person from one religion to another, all in all the topic of religion in Morocco is touchy and pretty much everyone is Muslim on paper (although i'd say about half are irreligious), however in terms of the Arab world Morocco is one of the most moderate countries and to be legally married to a Muslim in Morocco you would need to a certified copy of a conversion document to Islam obtained from adouls in religious notarials, you would also need an Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry obtainable from a consulate/embassy. Good luck, hope it all works out!

If we married outside of the country would there be difficulty in it being recognised? We would need to produce a marriage certificate just to be present in the same domicile.
Reply 7
If it is the law, then you don't have a choice. I don't know a lot about Morocco (as you probably gathered from my comment) but you sound like you've done your research and it seems like you'll have to convert. I personally wouldn't be comfortable converting to a religion I have no interest/belief/connection to, but if you are comfortable with it then it sounds like you have to do it.

Are you happy living in Morocco, or would you possibly want to move back to Britain or move somewhere else later on?

I don't like the idea of converting and I think it is draconian laws forcing this just for a basic human right.

I'm happy in Morocco and have no interest or intention to return to the UK. Maybe I'd move elsewhere in the future but as far I am concerned I have what I need here.
Reply 8
If we married outside of the country would there be difficulty in it being recognised? We would need to produce a marriage certificate just to be present in the same domicile.

If you do intend to continue to live in Morocco, then an islamic marriage (nikah) is the minimum to get recognised legally as it is illegal for a non married man and woman to live alone together.
I don't like the idea of converting and I think it is draconian laws forcing this just for a basic human right.

I'm happy in Morocco and have no interest or intention to return to the UK. Maybe I'd move elsewhere in the future but as far I am concerned I have what I need here.

I agree with you. I suppose it could be like how loads of children in the UK are Christened but they don't class themselves as Christian. So my thinking is, if there is absolutely no way around it and you must convert to get married, then you'll have to do so but you can still regard yourself as an atheist, like one of your girlfriend's parents. Alternatively, would you be happy just remaining in a couple without getting married?
I agree with you. I suppose it could be like how loads of children in the UK are Christened but they don't class themselves as Christian. So my thinking is, if there is absolutely no way around it and you must convert to get married, then you'll have to do so but you can still regard yourself as an atheist, like one of your girlfriend's parents. Alternatively, would you be happy just remaining in a couple without getting married?

Yes this is what I was thinking.
Remaining an unmarried couple is just a short term solution due to not being able to co-habit.
Yes this is what I was thinking.
Remaining an unmarried couple is just a short term solution due to not being able to co-habit.

Oh that's annoying. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place really I suppose. All the best to you.
Can't you leave Morocco and live elsewhere so you don't have to deal with their laws and thus not convert?
Original post by Mr T 999
Can't you leave Morocco and live elsewhere so you don't have to deal with their laws and thus not convert?

I don't want to leave my partner or close my business down.
Looks like you're in a sticky situation op :\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending