The Student Room Group

could exams be cancelled?

How likely is it that exams will be cancelled again this years? My school is doing their own mini assessments so they have evidence in case exams do get cancelled.

We just did some this week and i'm on the verge of a meltdown. My brain feels empty and yes i did do the work during lockdown but I can't remember things as well if they aren't taught by a teacher. My teacher have been instructed to not go over topics covered during lockdown which is so frustrating.

I feel like i'll fail if exams do go on since we've missed so many months of learning. I'm in Year 13 btw

Scroll to see replies

I’m in the exact same position and I feel your stress. There are some rumours that the exams could be online or in separate buildings or CAGs like last year. Remember that they don’t solely look at assessments but also your GCSE performance, effort in class, attainment in class etc. We can only know for sure once the government actually figure out a proper plan to curb the virus but imo, I really don’t think exams will go ahead but that’s my opinion, not any facts whatsoever
Reply 2
Original post by phoenix_567
I’m in the exact same position and I feel your stress. There are some rumours that the exams could be online or in separate buildings or CAGs like last year. Remember that they don’t solely look at assessments but also your GCSE performance, effort in class, attainment in class etc. We can only know for sure once the government actually figure out a proper plan to curb the virus but imo, I really don’t think exams will go ahead but that’s my opinion, not any facts whatsoever

Yeah, a lot more of my teachers now are beginning to think exams may be cancelled than they were before. Even if they do go on, i feel it would be really unfair since we've missed so much learning time. I wish they would hurry up and tell us, I have zero motivation to revise at the moment
Yeah. I’m really worried about learning time tbh. Having to keep alternating between online learning and school learning is tiresome and I can’t even imagine the prospect of having to actually do the exams! I’ve got assessments as well next week and it’s in between UCAS stuff so it’s all really stressful. Maybe speak to your teachers about you being worried and they’ll see you care and they’ll try and help you?
My teachers are saying they will definitely go on lockdown towards the end of october and depending on severity it seems likely that we may get out centre assessed exam grades as our actual grades
Do u guys actually want CAGs ?? Personally for me ,CAG for summer 2020 session were pretty darn fair and I think it was right to say that most people I knew got the grades they deserved . Especially after that U Turn, I don’t get why so many people complained about being downgraded
Reply 6
Original post by lavender5959
Do u guys actually want CAGs ?? Personally for me ,CAG for summer 2020 session were pretty darn fair and I think it was right to say that most people I knew got the grades they deserved . Especially after that U Turn, I don’t get why so many people complained about being downgraded

Yeah I wouldn't mind CAG's. I think my teachers have good evidence of my capabilities so I would be getting a grade I would've got if i did the exam
My teacher said they'll most likely be cancelled. But not definite as no one knows yet so we can't be certain. We have tests literally every week :/ I have 5 this week.
Reply 8
Original post by ninja24
My teacher said they'll most likely be cancelled. But not definite as no one knows yet so we can't be certain. We have tests literally every week :/ I have 5 this week.

That was me last week, I had 4. This week I have another 2. At the beginning, my teachers said it's very unlikely they'll cancel exams and they'd do a mix of CAG's and exam. But now they're beginning to lean towards cancellation. Which is what i hope happens
Original post by Random_101
That was me last week, I had 4. This week I have another 2. At the beginning, my teachers said it's very unlikely they'll cancel exams and they'd do a mix of CAG's and exam. But now they're beginning to lean towards cancellation. Which is what i hope happens

Yeah I get you man, the thing is I have exams like this every week. I'm on the verge of having a breakdown, there's so much to learn :frown: I hope they do use CAGs too. Hope the tests went well for you btw!
Original post by ninja24
Yeah I get you man, the thing is I have exams like this every week. I'm on the verge of having a breakdown, there's so much to learn :frown: I hope they do use CAGs too. Hope the tests went well for you btw!

It really is stressful, I think I just gave up in the end last week. My biology exam was a joke, the teacher said he was on the verge of tears after marking our papers. So that will be great to see next week. Good luck for your exams, I guess the only thing we can do is keep pushing forward. even though it seems impossible
It really is stressful, I think I just gave up in the end last week. My biology exam was a joke, the teacher said he was on the verge of tears after marking our papers. So that will be great to see next week. Good luck for your exams, I guess the only thing we can do is keep pushing forward. even though it seems impossible

That's the same for our computer science mock. It was horrendous. But, hopefully we can make it through :smile:
lmao I'm in the same position, I've probs cried like minimum 5 times already since being back in school. I really hope they use CAG or at least combine exams and CAG. although ngl I don't think exams will go ahead but prepare for the worst I'd say :frown:
Original post by Kotrii10
lmao I'm in the same position, I've probs cried like minimum 5 times already since being back in school. I really hope they use CAG or at least combine exams and CAG. although ngl I don't think exams will go ahead but prepare for the worst I'd say :frown:

I've already given up at this point, its so draining

I'm really trying to power through but same pretty much like it's so exhausting it's bad enough having missed sm learning and now this bs
Original post by lavender5959
CAG for summer 2020 session were pretty darn fair

they were not fair at all imo for several reasons:
1. lasts year's grades were massively overinflated which puts other cohorts, 2020 private candidates, resit students, those who have to take the autumn exams and those who were accurately or under-predicted at a disadvantage as they will have to compete with the 2020 (and 2021 if our exams get cancelled) cohort's overinflated grades.

2. teachers predictions have been proven to be inaccurate. Many teachers over-predict their pupils grades and there is the issue of racial, socioeconomic, pupil, and discriminatory bias when it comes to giving the CAGs (people from BAME and poor backgrounds are more likely to be under-predicted by their teachers).

3. the way CAG grades are given are not standardised. Some schools bothered to predict accurately via using a vigorous system, others were simply lazy or severely under-predicted their pupils in order to dodge being moderated down by the algorithm or even worse they severely inflated their pupils grades. There's also the issue of non-standardised mocks and grade boundaries.

4. it de-valuates the cohorts grades and can make employers question the credibility of the grades compared to those who would have actually had to sit a public exam in order to achieve their grades (do not use the "A-level grades don't matter after uni" argument i've seen too many people on TSR use this argument. Some employers like to use A-level grades for shortlisting, not everyone wants to gets a degree or go into FE, some may have to get a job whilst at uni or to save up for uni etc.).

5. on the whole I don't want the exams to be cancelled and CAGs are inaccurate.

Why have you missed so much? Where I teach we just taught online and have covered the work we should have done. I really don't think they will cancel exams again after this year's farce and over-grading from some schools.
Original post by Kotrii10

I think it's a 50 50 chance. But true, always be prepared I guess.
Original post by 1st superstar
they were not fair at all imo for several reasons:
1. lasts year's grades were massively overinflated which puts other cohorts, 2020 private candidates, resit students, those who have to take the autumn exams and those who were accurately or under-predicted at a disadvantage as they will have to compete with the 2020 (and 2021 if our exams get cancelled) cohort's overinflated grades.

2. teachers predictions have been proven to be inaccurate. Many teachers over-predict their pupils grades and there is the issue of racial, socioeconomic, pupil, and discriminatory bias when it comes to giving the CAGs (people from BAME and poor backgrounds are more likely to be under-predicted by their teachers).

3. the way CAG grades are given are not standardised. Some schools bothered to predict accurately via using a vigorous system, others were simply lazy or severely under-predicted their pupils in order to dodge being moderated down by the algorithm or even worse they severely inflated their pupils grades. There's also the issue of non-standardised mocks and grade boundaries.

4. it de-valuates the cohorts grades and can make employers question the credibility of the grades compared to those who would have actually had to sit a public exam in order to achieve their grades (do not use the "A-level grades don't matter after uni" argument i've seen too many people on TSR use this argument. Some employers like to use A-level grades for shortlisting, not everyone wants to gets a degree or go into FE, some may have to get a job whilst at uni or to save up for uni etc.).

5. on the whole I don't want the exams to be cancelled and CAGs are inaccurate.

You're right tooo. I think we're screwed either way. If we do exams, I feel it isn't fair either since we've missed so many months of learning. Also not everyone has the same home lives. other factors can seriously effect if people were even able to learn things online at home. So it would be unfair for them to have to do exams after missing out on so much learning time
Original post by Muttley79
Why have you missed so much? Where I teach we just taught online and have covered the work we should have done. I really don't think they will cancel exams again after this year's farce and over-grading from some schools.

for us, we just got set PowerPoints where we had to teach that to ourselves and whilst it wasn't terrible it was incredibly difficult to teach myself certain topics (especially in biology) and it doesn't stick as well as it would if a teacher would have taught us :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending