The Student Room Group

Just been sent text from nhs to download covid test and trace app

Did everyone get this? I thought it was only sent to people who have been in contact with someone with corona but no one in my household or anyone I know has corona that I know of.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*I meant the covid app that tracks and traces not the track and trace app because that doesn't exist lol
Original post by Anonymous
*I meant the covid app that tracks and traces not the track and trace app because that doesn't exist lol

If you’ve activated the track and trace on the app it will automatically text you, so that you can track your symptoms and abide accordingly.

Plus NHS are making people aware of this new app so many people will be getting text messages.
(edited 3 years ago)
Did everyone get this? I thought it was only sent to people who have been in contact with someone with corona but no one in my household or anyone I know has corona that I know of.

Loads of people got an email this morning. TThey're probably sending it to everyone in batches.
i havent got it
Original post by vix.xvi
i havent got it

It’s going around. You’ll get it eventually but it’s only informing you to download their new app.

its an app that tracks your location, many places should start to have a Venue QR for NHS's app. it is there to tell you if you have been in contact or in the same place at the same time with someone who has tested positive for corona. so you know that you should self-isolate.
what exactly does the app do?
Yeah I got the text yesterday, there's no chance I'm downloading it.
Original post by V℮rsions
Yeah I got the text yesterday, there's no chance I'm downloading it.

May I ask why please?
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
May I ask why please?

I don't want the Government or any subsidiary company of theirs to own my data.
I got an email yesterday rather than a text.

If you think about it the government already has more so information on who you are and what you do. This app is no different but they’re intention is not to spy but to warn and essentially eliminate you coming into contact with the virus.

they don't own the data, if you have an apple, apple logs it and you have full control, you can even delete the data!!! I think for your own safety you should download it like google and TikTok already have ur data and ur locations so it won't make a difference!
I got an email this morning, according to the email everyone who has given their GP an email address will get an email, and everyone who has given a mobile number but no email will get a text.

The email also came from Test and Trace.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
If you think about it the government already has more so information on who you are and what you do. This app is no different but they’re intention is not to spy but to warn and essentially eliminate you coming into contact with the virus.

Oh yeah they probably have enough data to guess my future kids names, but even so I'd rather not give them any more. I also don't like the idea of it randomly bluetoothing devices near me, They could essentially build a map of peoples movements with that, no thanks.

Original post by zeynepaydin1999
they don't own the data, if you have an apple, apple logs it and you have full control, you can even delete the data!!! I think for your own safety you should download it like google and TikTok already have ur data and ur locations so it won't make a difference!

I don't have an apple or Tiktok, and I don't really care if they have my data, I don't want to reveal even more of it - especially not willingly. I also HIGHLY doubt it's going to protect me and keep me safe, after all (and I know this view isn't considerate of others but since you said to keep me safe) it only works after you've had contact right? What's the point in that? I'm not downloading it and if it does somehow get on my phone, I'll switch my sim card to my old Sony Ericsson. The idea of the app itself is just not something I can bear to own and walk around with.

I'd like to add, I'm not being inconsiderate of others, I do follow all the rules / wear the masks etc, but I am not going to go as far as allowing a Government subsidised company to be able to have access to my bluetooth and ping every device I go near, that's (imo) not worth it. Call me selfish I know :noway:
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh yeah they probably have enough data to guess my future kids names, but even so I'd rather not give them any more. I also don't like the idea of it randomly bluetoothing devices near me, They could essentially build a map of peoples movements with that, no thanks.

I don't have an apple or Tiktok, and I don't really care if they have my data, I don't want to reveal even more of it - especially not willingly. I also HIGHLY doubt it's going to protect me and keep me safe, after all (and I know this view isn't considerate of others but since you said to keep me safe) it only works after you've had contact right? What's the point in that? I'm not downloading it and if it does somehow get on my phone, I'll switch my sim card to my old Sony Ericsson. The idea of the app itself is just not something I can bear to own and walk around with.

At the end of the day, it is your choice. But the app is there to help you and others during this pandemic and it does not collect data from you its just a track and trace app it's just like google maps that all it is.
It's your choice tho, if you come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID and you don't even know then you will be most likely spreading it to your kids, husband, or your parents, etc without even knowing!

You are aware that these apps are from Google and Apple right? They have nothing to do with the government. And presumably you have either an iPhone or Android device, which means you're already given these companies access to your data. You're not really giving them anything more by using the app.
Original post by AcseI
You are aware that these apps are from Google and Apple right? They have nothing to do with the government. And presumably you have either an iPhone or Android device, which means you're already given these companies access to your data. You're not really giving them anything more by using the app.

then what's the necessity? Can't they just use that data. Either way I'm not going to download it. I just don't like the idea of it
The government doesnt get the data and it doesn't know your name/location eithier. It works only by Bluetooth, stop spreading conspiracy theories.

Quick Reply

Latest