The Student Room Group

Propranolol and dissociation

Hey,

I’ve been taking these pills for 2 weeks now I think. Honestly I love them and dissociating and feeling emotionally numb aren’t even a disadvantage about those pills. I was wondering can anyone relate to these symptoms or am I the only one? I know someone who mentioned they also dissociate from them and they hated it
Reply 1
they can't do that, they don't affect your brain. they're not psych. meds.
They can affect your brain because the brain is fed from the heart and the blood stream.

As for dissociation, it is possible to experience this. This is because it lowers your heart reaction to excitation.

I’m on it as well.

I’ve been taking it a little bit longer than yourself.

If dissociation happens coinciding with thoughts of a serious nature of some sort of hopelessness. It’s better to inform your doctor to stay safe and happier

However if it’s not badly affecting you (it can change your behaviour I believe; there’s a study that says it can make people passive or along those lines) then it is worth keeping if it does the job it is meant to do.

I’m using it primarily because I want the changed personality (believe it or not, it’s managed to help - possibly? - with cigarettes urges).

Be smart and talk to your dr how best to proceed with it I’d say. You’ve done the first step by paying attention to yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by Ki Yung Na
They can affect your brain because the brain is fed from the heart and the blood stream.

As for dissociation, it is possible to experience this. This is because it lowers your heart reaction to excitation.

I’m on it as well.

If dissociation happens coinciding with thoughts of a serious nature of some sort of hopelessness. It’s better to inform your doctor to stay safe and happier

However if it’s not badly affecting you (it can change your behaviour I believe; there’s a study that says it can make people passive or along those lines) then it is worth keeping if it does the job it is meant to do.

I’m using it primarily because I want the changed personality (believe it or not, it’s managed to help - possibly? - with cigarettes urges).

Be smart and talk to your dr how best to proceed with it I’d say. You’ve done the first step by paying attention to yourself.

wow, there's so much misinformation in your post, lol. what do you mean you're using propranolol because you want to change your personality? 😂
Original post by Ciel.
wow, there's so much misinformation in your post, lol. what do you mean you're using propranolol because you want to change your personality? 😂

Have you done any research? I’ve also used my language carefully. “It can” in relation to that point specifically.

You could word it less attackingly. Jesus
Reply 5

I’m on it as well.

Hey thanks for your reply. I used to dissociate before so I don’t think they’re from the pills but they do trigger it sometimes I think. Lmaoo idk how. Woow how did they help you manage your cigarette urges? That’s so interesting omg.
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
they can't do that, they don't affect your brain. they're not psych. meds.

Oh I guess it’s to do with my old habits then. Thanks
Reply 7
Have you done any research? I’ve also used my language carefully. “It can” in relation to that point specifically.

You could word it less attackingly. Jesus

nope, it can't. but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Oh I guess it’s to do with my old habits then. Thanks

maybe.. if you're stressed then almost definitely
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thanks for your reply. I used to dissociate before so I don’t think they’re from the pills but they do trigger it sometimes I think. Lmaoo idk how. Woow how did they help you manage your cigarette urges? That’s so interesting omg.

I have no idea if they’re what’s helping or not. But basically now that I’m less anxious, and also less emotional - I believe - it just basically helps me not “want” things. Is this what you are feeling or referring to by dissociation?
Original post by Ciel.
nope, it can't. but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Idk why you’re coming at me? Lol, I have read medical sources. I’m not trying to misinform people here. That’s a big deal. So whatever man. Do you innit. I’m not putting anything out as fact. The onus is on him/her to read into or see their dr, as I wrote specifically.

Doubtful if your intentions for even posting.. but whatevr,
Reply 11
Idk why you’re coming at me? Lol, I have read medical sources. I’m not trying to misinform people here. That’s a big deal. So whatever man. Do you innit. I’m not putting anything out as fact. The onus is on him/her to read into or see their dr, as I wrote specifically.

Doubtful if your intentions for even posting.. but whatevr,

there's a lot of really silly studies out there. like the one on propranolol and trauma, which is complete ********. it's laughable.
Original post by Ciel.
there's a lot of really silly studies out there. like the one on propranolol and trauma, which is complete ********. it's laughable.

Yeah and I a non trained person is meant to evaluate and then inform others of their accuracy? What exactly are you saying.

you are somehow in a position to dismiss and endorse literature on a public domain because you are medically and scientifically lab trained?

idk. We have different opinions here.
Reply 13
Yeah and I a non trained person is meant to evaluate and then inform others of their accuracy? What exactly are you saying.

you are somehow in a position to dismiss and endorse literature on a public domain because you are medically and scientifically lab trained?

idk. We have different opinions here.

i tested it on myself. it actually made my flashbacks worse. 😂 anyway, bye.

Quick Reply

Latest